The reasons to buy a PS3... or 360.

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

I'm buying a PS3 soon, the 1.80 update seems excellent. The whole region and PAL/NTSC thing is a damn nuisance though. I can understand the enforcement of DVD and BD region codes even if it is a pain but why region lock PSX and PS2 titles?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

gojensen wrote:With a chip in the wii a PAL console plays about 80% of all NTSC games...
And what if a killer app falls into the unplayable 20%? FAIL.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Sony am cry:-
"The PS3 dragged the PlayStation brand further into unexplored territories of the extensive Japanese gutter system this past week as the system dropped down to sales of under 10,000 units. We don't have all the old Media Create data handy, but four digit sales of a new, non-supply-constrained PlayStation product sounds like a rarity. We wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time it's ever happened, unless you go back to that pre-Final Fantasy period where the Saturn was selling (or at least shipping) better than the original PSX."
sauce= IGN Insider
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Hey, you know how there are certain Blu-ray releases which are region free? Well I've just been wondering if in the future Sony will be able to suddenly stop you playing said discs if they aren't from your country of origin (through a firmware update or whatever). Does anyone know anything about this or have any thoughts on the matter?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I wouldn't put it past them. Isn't HDMI1.3 supposed to have DRM like that which can be turned on at time via a firmware upgrade?
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 31 May 2007, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Yup sadly the Blu Ray dvds will have some sort of regional info on the dvd somewhere, I guess in theory they could make the player do a scan and find out where they are from and hey presto, they wont work. Its unlikley I think just becuase it would alienate soo many people instantly from upgrading the firmware stuff, but possible thats for sure.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Sony's all about alienation, they don't give a shit.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Becuase they make so much cash :)

Still we all await the hackers so we can have region free PS3's :) pull their fingers out I say!
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

But surely Sony will just combat that by requiring you to have certain firmware updates in order to play certain titles, just like the PSP does.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Ahhh bugger! never thougt of that! so in theory the Blu Ray players may never be region free! that sucks a fatty blunt one!
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

romerojpg wrote:Still we all await the hackers so we can have region free PS3's :) pull their fingers out I say!
I wouldn't count on it. The firmware of players is very complex in these next gen players and consoles. You still can't mod 360 to play legitimately imported games (you can play pirated games though, ironically) or have region free DVD playback.
gojensen
King of Beggars
Posts: 603
Joined: 01 Nov 2004, 10:44
Location: Norway

Post by gojensen »

But the PSP is completely hacked! I haven't used official SONY firmware on it since v1.5 (it's up to 3.4 now)... I think when the "Chinese" enters the market players will eventually turn region free - just as with DVDs... that's my opinion on the whole shebang....
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

gojensen wrote:But the PSP is completely hacked! I haven't used official SONY firmware on it since v1.5 (it's up to 3.4 now)... I think when the "Chinese" enters the market players will eventually turn region free - just as with DVDs... that's my opinion on the whole shebang....
I hope that your prediction comes true. PS2's region encoding was cracked by poms, but Chinese implemented their work.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

I would jump onto a PS3 is it was hacked soon, with a reliable chip/code/dvd etc.. never had a multiregion console really as never wanted it for anything but games. The PS3 changes all that with its Blu Ray goodness, which also maybe makes it harder to crack for games/dvds and Blu Ray dvds. But surley someones done it, or very cloe as its been out a while now.