The Play.com Bargains Thread!

Sell Your Stuff, and What's on Sale
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Ohh it works seperalty, but works better if you have seen the charecters in action before so to say :D

Still I used some of my £2 play vouchers,

got The Prestige for 88p :D as used quico as well haha and it logged the full price before vouchers.

88p for a new film :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

How many vouchers did you get?

I ordered Serenity and decided to cancel it only a few hours later. This is their response:
Unfortunately your order for Serentity is already being prepared for dispatch so we are unable to cancel the order. This order should be posted within the next 24 hours and should arrive with you within 3 to 5 working days of dispatch.
So it's not dispatched but they're not prepared to cancel the order anyway. They've also not told me I'll get a new voucher or not.

I had the same unacceptable response from CD WOW a while back.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Tbh Brad i wouldn't be arsed cancelling a £2.99 hd-dvd.you could either trade it or double your money on ebay :wink:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

True.

My plan wasn't to cancel it as such but to swap it for Inside Man. That's what I actually asked for but you're right I won't bother messing around sending it back if they do ship it, which they probably will.

They've ignored most of my e-mail and just concentrated on the word "cancelled". I said:

"Can you please either cancel my order and issue me with another £2 voucher or swap the item I am buying and let me know you're doing this."

Actually you have made a good point. I only picked Inside Man due to it being the only one I really wanted not because I really wanted to own it. I'm sure it's good but it's not one I'd rush to own and I'm trying (not easy) to be fairly strict on what HD Discs I buy.

Trading is a good idea.

Thanks.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Why did you want to cancel Serenity? Did the thrashing that you got in the review thread change your mind?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

No not directly but it did solidify my thoughts on the film. I was too hasty saying "The good definitely outweighed the bad" because the more I think about it that isn't true.

I liked some of the characters, I liked the CGI and music. Some scenes were very good but the acting was mostly okay at best, the drama was again okay at best and I remember thinking (before the finale) this isn't a keeper. The finale swinged it for me but in hindsight that's not a good enough reason to keep it.

It's certainly good but not a keeper. 6 out of 10 type stuff. One review said it felt like "a very good extended TV episode instead of a feature film". I'd have to agree.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:One review said it felt like "a very good extended TV episode instead of a feature film". I'd have to agree.
I'd agree.

Leading up to the film's release, the only thing that I wanted from Serenity was a satisfying continuation and conclusion to Firefly's story and not a continuity reboot. The film definitely delivered on that.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Tony Jaa double bill Ong Bak & Tom Yum Goong £6.99-nice price for the 2 movies together if you don't have them

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/47/62/-/5 ... type=genre
working class blu-ray fan
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Pirates of the Carribean trilogy boxset blu-ray £10.99- clear misprice i reckon
http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/5408 ... oduct.html
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

That's a great price. I'd be all over it if I liked them. They're all Region Free too.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Even if you hate them, get them! they sell and trade for 3 times that price!
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Aww it's gone to £47.99 lol
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Did anyone manage to order it?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Everyone had them canned (all 5037846438 orders).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Ah well.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Good thing is I sometimes get Quidco payment from it still, even when they can orders :D so you can earn free cash in thee nd.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Brick Lane DVD: £6.99 -

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3516185/-/Product.html

It's a title Optimum didn't release on HD Disc and I cannot see it getting a release anywhere any time soon. This is a fantastic British film.

It's £9.99 at HMV but otherwise well over £10 elsewhere. I'll pick it up soon, £6.99 is a good price.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Play summer sale http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/MicroS ... le&BT=Home

haven't had a good look but can't see much special, for non-hd peeps The Kingdom at £2.99 is a good price,Memories of Murder is £3.99.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Cheers Salty. For me, Play's sales are pretty much worthless until they get off their backside and start including HD Discs.

MOM UK R2 only has Korean DD2.0. Personally I'd get the Scandinavia or HK DVDs:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=5054
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

blu-ray 3 for 2= crap selection and prices though

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/3-/155223/2-/Promo.html
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

You have to laugh at those prices. £12 each.

I cannot stand Buy 2 Get 1 Free, or 3 for the Price of XX deals. You always buy something you don't really want. Just give me cheap single disc prices any day.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Insanity! you could buy a HD DVD player for £30 and nearly all them films for under £4 each :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

where can i get a hd-dvd player for £30? i'll get one for the bedroom
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Quidco :D.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

I have no idea :D I thought thats how much they went for now.

They were damn low a few months ago I rmeember the various thread titles on multiple forums.

I take it they aint now then :lol: as looking on Ebay they cost a fortune! :|