Page 11 of 18

Posted: 30 May 2009, 15:46
by romerojpg
Well it was under £10 on its day of release so its not that much of a bargain :D Even Daniel Craig commented in an interview I saw aboutt he price of dvds, he said it made the film feel cheap when on the first day yo can get the film for under £10 :lol:

Posted: 30 May 2009, 17:59
by Markgway
Think I'll bite at that price.

I missed the £6.99 offers but this one has a little book thrown in.

Posted: 30 May 2009, 19:57
by saltysam
romerojpg wrote:Well it was under £10 on its day of release
This HMV exclusive wasn't :wink:

Posted: 31 May 2009, 13:14
by Markgway
Ordered. Thanks Sam.

Posted: 31 May 2009, 13:30
by grim_tales
I got that one very recently (my birthday) when it was £12.99.

Posted: 02 Jul 2009, 10:01
by saltysam

Posted: 06 Jul 2009, 19:22
by luckystars
These prices are making me want to turn Blu!!!!!!!

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 12:32
by saltysam

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 12:33
by gasteropod
Sweet, I was thinking about checking that out as I've never actually seen it. I'm surprised at the price because that's quite a new release isn't it!

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 13:09
by bradavon
Budget title though.

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 14:21
by saltysam
Some decent titles available at £7.99

The 7.99 titles (release date: 10-8-2009) are:

Brick: Hmv Exclusive: Sleeve
Elephant: Hmv Exclusive: Sleeve
Nine Songs (9): Hmv Exclusive: Sleeve
Orphanage: Subtitled/Spanish: Hmv Exclusive: Sleeve
Pans Labyrinth: Subtitled/Spanish: Hmv Exclusive: Sleeve
Persepolis: Hmv Exclusive: Sleeve
Switchblade Romance: Subtitled/French: Hmv Exclusive: Sleeve
This Is England: Hmv Exclusive: Sleeve
Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada (3): Hmv Exclusive: Sleeve
Wolf Creek: Hmv Exclusive: Sleeve

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleSearch.do?c ... 69d3fe721d

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 20:13
by bradavon
Thanks Salty. I'm tempted by Three Burials.

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 21:44
by IronMonkey
I see The Thing is also down to £9.99 from £10.99. I missed the £7.99 price it was at a few months ago but I'm sorely tempted by the £9.99 tag. I've been wanting it since it came out but I don't pay over £10 for my BDs...

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 21:49
by gasteropod
I ordered The Thing for £9.99 the other day :)

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 22:37
by bradavon
I try not to pay over £10 either. It saves me a fortune!

The PQ of The Thing is very good btw, given it's age. I had the HD-DVD.

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 22:54
by IronMonkey
I've ordered it. I've heard nothing but good things about the UK version - its certainly better than the US version, that one is missing the bulk of the extras that are on the DVD...

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 23:19
by bradavon
The HD-DVD USA/UK both have all the extras.

Actually I think both the USA and UK have the extras, it's just annoyingly on the USA BD the documentary is "only" PIP whereas on the UK you can choice:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/f ... ?fid=13548

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 08:07
by IronMonkey
"U-Control" feature: Picture-in-Picture commentary (featuring the "John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape" -documentary (83:56 min) which plays while you watch the film)
I would hate to watch the feature-length documentary in a PIP window while viewing the film. Sometimes these new BD features aren't all they're cracked up to be...

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 08:59
by grim_tales
Indeed, that sounds annoying.

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 10:44
by Shingster
IronMonkey wrote:I would hate to watch the feature-length documentary in a PIP window while viewing the film. Sometimes these new BD features aren't all they're cracked up to be...
It's really frustrating because these studios are putting the most substantial features in PIP mode only and not giving viewers the option to view them seperately. Ghostbusters was particularly affected by this, with the retrospective interviews in the Slimer Mode only. Plus there's the fact that you can't play the audio on PIP features with some players if they're set to Direct out for HDMI.

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 12:51
by Markgway
The UK edition of THE THING for me then.

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 13:35
by bradavon
IronMonkey wrote:I would hate to watch the feature-length documentary in a PIP window while viewing the film. Sometimes these new BD features aren't all they're cracked up to be...
For sure. I so agree. PIP is largely bollocks, as is BD-Live. Lengthy Making Ofs and Commentaries really cannot be beaten.
Shingster wrote:Plus there's the fact that you can't play the audio on PIP features with some players if they're set to Direct out for HDMI.
That affects all players not some. It's there by design:

1. On-board decoding is required for PIP to work. So the Player can combine the film and PIP audio coming from two sources. This doesn't affect commentaries as it's one audio track mixed at the software house.
2. Bitstream (i.e - Direct using your words) sends raw binary data and this isn't capable of merging the two sources. Incidentally Bitstream is how 99% of DVD Players are used (i.e - Optical of Coaxial). Whereby the Amp does all the decoding.

The trouble with on-board is that many players can only send a DTS-HD (and some TrueHD) signal over Bitstream (HDMI). This is one of the main reasons why the PS3 cannot Bitstream period and on-board decodes the lot.

Bitstream means your Amp decodes it and you get the funky DTS-HD/TrueHD light appearing on the Amp. On-board means the Player decodes it and send out a RAW PCM signal.

On my LG BH200 for example if I wanted to listen to DTS-HD (HR and MA) AND PIP I'd "have" to switch between On-board decoding and Bitstream. The BH200 can on-board TrueHD but not DTS-HD (Bitstream only). Annoying but seeing as I never listen to PIP and cannot handle DTS-HD anyway it's a non-issue.

Thankfully many "new" Players can on-board decode both formats (plus bit-stream) so this is becoming a moot point.

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 14:11
by gasteropod
My BD of The Thing has arrived, hurrah!

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 17:55
by gasteropod
Just watched it wahey, yep nice picture quality indeed. I noticed in the snow scenes that it kept changing from white to blue if you look carefully, what is that? Just a side effect of film? Because it also happens on Halloween when she's walking down the streets in the daytime, you see the colour temperature changing constantly.

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Posted: 12 Aug 2009, 23:05
by bradavon
Matrix BDs for £9.99 each. Note The Matrix BD isn't the book one but standard keep case:

Matrix: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=917430
Matrix 2: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=917435
Matrix 3: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=917433

I've gone for Matrix. There's really no need for me to keep my box set.