Page 106 of 152

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 17 Dec 2009, 17:24
by Yi-Long
grim_tales wrote:What's Quick? Like MCDonalds? :)
Glad you enjoyed Euro Disney.
Tomorrow I have to sing at another recital (Christmas songs) :D
Yeah, Quick is a fastfood joint. We also used to have it here in Holland, but not anymore. I think it's mostly chicken-stuff, or that's what they got famous for or something. I'm not sure. I never visited one in Holland, but my GF did. I did visit it when we visited Belgium.

What songs will you be singing, Grim!? Nervous? Are you any good? Will you be on Britain's got Talent!? :P :rock:

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 17 Dec 2009, 18:17
by grim_tales
Quite nervous :D I wouldn't say I'm very "good" TBH but everyone enjoyed it and seemed to think I was good and sang very well :P
I'm just singing with guitar. So maybe I am good, dunno!

Morningtown Ride To Christmas (The Seekers)
Merry Xmas Everybody (Slade) :P
Mary's Boy Child (Harry Belafonte/Boney M)
A Winter's Tale (David Essex)
Jingle Bell Rock (Bobby Helms) :P
Silent Night
Let It Snow (Dean Martin)
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
Jingle Bells
When a Child Is Born (The Seekers)
Rockin Around The Christmas Tree (Brenda Lee)
Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer (Gene Autry)
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Judy Garland)
I Wish It Could be Xmas Every Day (Wizzard)
Winter Wonderland (Dean Martin again)
The 12 Days of Christmas
Away In a Manger
Deck The Halls
We Wish You a Merry Christmas

:D

But I prefer ballads and folk stuff really, would like to perform to a mainstream (ie non disabled) audience TBH.

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 17 Dec 2009, 20:38
by saltysam
18 songs!sounds like a full blown concert!

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 17 Dec 2009, 21:05
by bradavon
Grim for Xmas number 1

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 17 Dec 2009, 22:27
by Markgway
Jeez... I hope you're getting paid. That's an entire concert as Sam said. I think they're taking the piss asking you to do 18 songs in one sitting.

If you really are as talented as it seems you might be then you should apply to either The X Factor or Britain's Got Talent. You never know what could happen?

If you make it past the audition stage let us know and I'll vote for you (unless you're a bit shit, natch). :thumbs:

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 17 Dec 2009, 23:57
by Yi-Long
Markgway wrote:Jeez... I hope you're getting paid. That's an entire concert as Sam said. I think they're taking the piss asking you to do 18 songs in one sitting.

If you really are as talented as it seems you might be then you should apply to either The X Factor or Britain's Got Talent. You never know what could happen?

If you make it past the audition stage let us know and I'll vote for you (unless you're a bit shit, natch). :thumbs:
Plus if he doesn't namedrop all of his BNB buddies, we will obviously vote for the other contestants(!) :P

Anyway, that's a LOT of songs, Grim. And not even Last Christmas, by Wham!, or 'All I want for Christmas', by M. Carey. Good luck with that. :) You'll probably get groupies in your dressingroom after the show! Hell, after 18 songs, you deserve them!!! :D

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 18 Dec 2009, 10:13
by grim_tales
Thanks guys :D I am getting paid BTW, it is sort of a full concert but some of those songs are pretty short :)
I think everyone enjoyed it and I heard people were still talking about it afterwards (!) The consensus seems to be that I'm actually good, but its hard to tell sometimes, if you watch XF, all the shite auditionees relatives say they are good when they aren't.

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 18 Dec 2009, 11:21
by Markgway
Ask someone you trust Grim to give an honest opnion. Tell them to be truthful even if it hurts. Then you'll know. If you have genuine talent it'd be a shame to waste it. Besides on X-Factor you could mention your Asperger's and get an automatic thru. Just kidding... ;)

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 18 Dec 2009, 11:25
by grim_tales
Well it worked for Scott James... :D ;)
Nah, he actually had a very good voice IMO and I think he had the condition more severe than I do.
Even people I didnt know/I hadnt met said I sang really well I think.

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 18 Dec 2009, 12:00
by grim_tales
:D
One of the people (who helped organise it I guess) said to me via email:

"I just wanted to congratulate you on a wonderful show. Everyone really enjoyed it and I saw ....... today who said that people were still talking about it and saying how good you were. The set was a good balance between the more melodic (sometimes quite moving) songs, the more raucous and the sillier Christmas songs. I knew you could do it! I hope you’re feeling proud.

Onwards and upwards"

:D

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 18 Dec 2009, 13:23
by Yi-Long
Nice going Grim! :D Congratulations! Glad to hear you did very well.

The issue you raised about people not being honest, is a serious one indeed, when it comes to stuff like this. Some people will always say they like it, no matter what. Others will always say they don't, maybe because it's the truth, maybe because out of some form of jealousy or they just don't want to 'suck up' or something.

Maybe you should post a vid on youtube, and see how the response is!?

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 18 Dec 2009, 17:18
by grim_tales
I was going to sing today but it was cancelled due to the snow!!
Lots of people thought i was really good but when I watch XF etc (ie - the good people!) I think no way am I as good as them!!
I know little about technique and haven't had any experience/training really, I guess I just have to trust them.

I'm kinda glad I didnt sing today as I have a sore throat now :(

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 18 Dec 2009, 18:02
by Markgway
HungFist wrote:To test it in practice, I asked a Japanese girl how my hair looks like. "It looks great". Then I asked a German guy. "It looks like shit. What kind of fucking guestion was that!?". Yep, the theory works. :D
The Japanese girl probably told her friends you hair was shit as soon as your back was turned and the German bloke was frankly just jealous of your locks.
grim_tales wrote:Lots of people thought i was really good but when I watch XF etc (ie - the good people!) I think no way am I as good as them!!
You'll never know if you don't try...

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 18 Dec 2009, 18:54
by grim_tales
Forgot to mention White Christmas (Bing Crosby) on the set list so thats actually 19 songs but as I say some were VERY short.

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 18 Dec 2009, 21:09
by Markgway
Look at it this way, Grim. At least you'll be better than that wierd, tubby chicken guy from a couple of years ago........ Unless that was you?? :icon_suspect:

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 18 Dec 2009, 22:08
by grim_tales
lol no thats not me!

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 18 Dec 2009, 22:14
by gasteropod
Haha I remember that guy, that's a classic clip.

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 23 Dec 2009, 22:12
by IronMonkey
I sometimes feel the exact same way.

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 23 Dec 2009, 22:27
by Yi-Long
IronMonkey wrote:I sometimes feel the exact same way.

Us 2 should starts a secluded ninja monastary somewhere. We should kidnap Grim to sing for us.

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 24 Dec 2009, 17:00
by Markgway
Yi-Long wrote:Us 2 should starts a secluded ninja monastary somewhere.
Yeah, but you'd get bored soon enough and start buggering each other.

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 31 Dec 2009, 07:19
by saltysam
Stuck in work tonight,new year's eve :(

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 31 Dec 2009, 09:01
by gasteropod
Shit man, well I'm off to a house party in Leeds, I'm hoping it doesn't get raided by the police like the last one I went to in that city lol.

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 31 Dec 2009, 10:59
by bradavon
:D

It sounds like you had a good time Hung. I thought you'd like Anime shops? No photos of Japanese girlies in Xmas hats? I'm disappointed Hung ;). I'd have gone mad :D.

How many days were you in Japan? Surely not just a few days in Tokyo.

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 31 Dec 2009, 12:48
by grim_tales
Shame you're working on New Years Eve Sam :(

Re: The off-topic topic

Posted: 31 Dec 2009, 17:12
by bradavon
HungFist wrote:Read the last 5 pages of this thread. Then I will answer your remaining questions.
I barely never look in this thread, it's usually full of rubbish. You should've started a new thread. I'd say it's big enough. I'll have a browse.

EDIT: It looks like your trip starts on page 129. No explanation why you're going, how long, what you're getting up to, just a bunch of photos. I gather you're studying International Business at Uni but it doesn't say any more than that. I'm sure you'll understand, I don't wish to read 7 pages of text. So:
bradavon wrote:WTF! Are you working there Hung? What have you been up to? I take it you've decided to study in Japan, as part of your Finish Uni course?