Page 13 of 107
Posted: 16 Dec 2007, 14:01
by romerojpg
bradavon wrote:
romerojpg wrote:But hope someone gets it cheaper than £20.
Aside from the extended cut aspect the BD is less than £15. If I was a pessimist I'd say it serves the stubborn people right who're only supporting one format
It's a German release, did anyone expect it to be good value for money? German (and French) releases (even DVD) are always a rip off.
Its the ONLY way to get the extended cut, so I do not want the standard cut (which is way cheaper than £15 anyway, try under £10

) so its the German version with Nail gun in leg action, or nothing.
It has nothing at all to do with HD DVD or Blu Ray, I just want this new cut and this HD DVD is the way to go. Shame it costs so much, but it is probibly worth it (just!). Will wait a little longer and see what other companies price it as.
If it was not in my top 3 films of last year, I probibly would not even think about paying £20 for it

Posted: 16 Dec 2007, 17:27
by bradavon
saltysam wrote:their prices seem very steep and to add postage on top

Some aren't, most are. To be fair it's run by one guy (I think) and is a new venture from his reviews website.
romerojpg wrote:Its the ONLY way to get the extended cut, so I do not want the standard cut (which is way cheaper than £15 anyway, try under £10

) so its the German version with Nail gun in leg action, or nothing.
You paid way more for Resident Evil German DVD

. I know I was only checking very quickly on the Crank BD price, where can it be bought for under £10 though?
How come there is no German DVD?
Posted: 16 Dec 2007, 17:55
by romerojpg
Crank has been in sales for well under £10 many times, no idea where as I dont care about the Blu Ray.
German dvd?
Posted: 16 Dec 2007, 18:49
by bradavon
There is no Crank German DVD of the TC or EC???
Posted: 16 Dec 2007, 19:02
by romerojpg
No idea. Look on amazon.de, its either there or its not. I dont want the crap DVD I want HD

Posted: 16 Dec 2007, 19:05
by bradavon
You said it's the only way to get the EC you were specific about it. I find it odd there is an Extended HD Disc but not DVD.
Posted: 16 Dec 2007, 19:13
by romerojpg
I dont give a shit about the dvd even if there is one, I want HD.
Posted: 20 Dec 2007, 21:54
by saltysam
Beowulf in February-looks crap but i imagine it'd be a great demo disc
http://www.hdaddicts.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id=1016
Warner are releasing this on blu-ray in Germany March 10th-Director's cut.
Posted: 21 Dec 2007, 05:05
by EvaUnit02
saltysam wrote:Beowulf in February
Romero will enjoy whacking off to muscle-bound CGI Ray Winstone... in HD!
Posted: 21 Dec 2007, 14:38
by romerojpg
EvaUnit02 wrote:saltysam wrote:Beowulf in February
Romero will enjoy whacking off to muscle-bound CGI Ray Winstone... in HD!
The CGI Angelina yup.
Posted: 21 Dec 2007, 17:50
by saltysam
problems with the new warner bros Terminator 3 blu-ray
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... ected/1293
Posted: 21 Dec 2007, 18:46
by bradavon
Get your act together Warner :shock:
Does this mean only the PIP version is 1080i or the actual film version too? If it's the former it's no HUGE loss I guess. 1080i on a Full HD TV would be deinterlaced anyway so should still look good. Those with HD Ready TVs won't be able to tell the difference anyway.
I'd still upgrade if it's the latter for when I got a Full HD TV, but would probably pick up the HD-DVD second hand anyway.
Posted: 21 Dec 2007, 19:03
by saltysam
" excitement soon turned to disappointment for some early adopters when it was discovered that regular playback of the disc is being limited to 1080i output -- not the industry standard 1080p, as listed on the box art." regular playback would indicate the movie itself,i reckon.
Posted: 21 Dec 2007, 19:45
by bradavon
Good point, thanks.
The trouble with these cockups is it's always impossible to find out which batch a store has. It's always pot lock if you'll get it fixed or not.
Posted: 22 Dec 2007, 16:02
by saltysam
Beowulf will be available in a director's cut,i assume the hd-dvd will be this version.
Posted: 22 Dec 2007, 16:08
by romerojpg
Yup gore and naked ladies and some bad language. Some of which you can see in the early trailers. Not a kids film.
Its one of the few ok films I would consider gettng on HD just to show off the picture, as I can imagine the transfer will be stunning.
Posted: 22 Dec 2007, 16:22
by EvaUnit02
I never saw the point of justifying a potential mediocre purchase by "Oh, it would make a good demo disc".
I'd buy only A. favourites and B. films that are actually worth the time of day on HD. DVD is fine for everything else.
There's no reason why a "demo disc" can't have excellent visuals + sonics AND be an outstanding film at the same time. Blade Runner would be a perfect candidate for this, with its simply sublime cinematography, editing, sound design and score.
Posted: 22 Dec 2007, 22:12
by bradavon
Personally I'd never buy a film "just because it happens to be a good demo disc". It would be a waste of money.
I'm not sure if this has been posted, but here is a list of Paramount Blu-ray discs:
http://www.therewindforums.co.uk/forums ... hp?t=21123
Note where it says: "There will be no "recall" of any past Blu-ray titles, the studio will cease production on its entire Blu-ray catalog, and they will no longer be available once current market supplies have been depleted."
Posted: 22 Dec 2007, 22:34
by bradavon
And here's a list of Region A and Region B locked titles. It's similar to the main one at
http://bluray.liesinc.net/ but due to the layout it's easier to have a quick glance of what is region locked:
http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=50447
Pan's Labyrinth UK BD is in fact Region Free. The only "Region B ONLY" title I would pick up is The Crow so no huge loss.
Posted: 22 Dec 2007, 23:35
by Markgway
Demos are for showrooms.
I only buy the films I like best.
Posted: 22 Dec 2007, 23:53
by bradavon
Info about the UK Crow BD:
I am not very happy as this disk will not play in 1080i, it will only play in standard def. This will only play in 1080 via HDMI and not component. Also mpeg 2 so image is really grainy and I would go as far as to say this is the worst looking movie I have on BD
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=13580
I've never heard of a HD Disc that has actually utilised the "Image constraint token" before.
Posted: 23 Dec 2007, 00:29
by Markgway
Lol, from EIV. Is anyone surprised??
Posted: 23 Dec 2007, 01:03
by bradavon
Nope.
It also really narks me off how they're the only (I think) HD company who for the most part just re-use the same DD5.1 and/or DTS soundtrack as found on DVD instead of giving us a proper new HD Audio track.
A few they've upgraded but most their BDs use the legacy tracks. Lazy knobs!
Posted: 23 Dec 2007, 14:28
by saltysam
Wherehouse shipped my Timecop hd-dvd pre-order.apparently it's no longer a combo.
Posted: 23 Dec 2007, 14:51
by romerojpg
saltysam wrote:Wherehouse shipped my Timecop hd-dvd pre-order.apparently it's no longer a combo.
That sucks, they should have lowered the price a load then!