Page 15 of 107

Posted: 29 Dec 2007, 18:33
by saltysam
Always thought of Inferno as a warner title. True Lies was Columbia elsewhere i think which would still be Blu-ray. Agreed Die Hard 3 is available uncut as a region B BD in oz.

Posted: 29 Dec 2007, 18:34
by bradavon
So Sony only kept the Bond DVD rights?

In the case of Bond thankfully they'll be released worldwide except it is unlikely Region B BD Owners will be stuck without Mono. The DVDs which have Mono I think are just North America and Japan. Both of which are Region A.

Posted: 29 Dec 2007, 19:02
by Markgway
saltysam wrote:True Lies was Columbia elsewhere i think which would still be Blu-ray.
It's Universal, so HD.
Agreed Die Hard 3 is available uncut as a region B BD in oz.
When I go Blu I'll be picking that one up.

Posted: 29 Dec 2007, 19:03
by Markgway
bradavon wrote:So Sony only kept the Bond DVD rights?
From what I gather Sony only have Casino Royale because they co-produced it with MGM.

The previous entries are distributed by MGM thru Fox.
In the case of Bond thankfully they'll be released worldwide except it is unlikely Region B BD Owners will be stuck without Mono.
Hopefully by then some wizard will have cracked region coding.... all it takes is time. ;)

Posted: 29 Dec 2007, 19:10
by bradavon
DH3 is probably uncut Region B on the Continent too.

Obviously Die Hard 1 is uncut in the USA or UK but apparently the German Fox BD is in fact Region Free despite being labelled as Region B. I don't know if the UK BD is also Region Free.
The previous entries are distributed by MGM thru Fox.
I'm sure they're Sony, or are they now Fox?
Hopefully by then some wizard will have cracked region coding.... all it takes is time.
I hope so, properly. Right now there is this:

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... &start=282

Posted: 29 Dec 2007, 19:15
by saltysam
bradavon wrote:DH3 is probably uncut Region B on the Continent too.
Nope the Aussie release is currently the only Region B version available.

Posted: 29 Dec 2007, 19:17
by saltysam
bradavon wrote:
Obviously Die Hard 1 is uncut in the USA or UK but apparently the German Fox BD is in fact Region Free despite being labelled as Region B. I don't know if the UK BD is also Region Free.
That won't matter to Mark as he's going region B Blu :D

Posted: 29 Dec 2007, 19:29
by Markgway
Dr No >> Die Another Day = Fox
Casino Royale = Sony

Posted: 29 Dec 2007, 20:40
by bradavon
They used to be Sony ;) . Some of my UE's have Fox on the back, others Sony.
saltysam wrote:That won't matter to Mark as he's going region B Blu :D
I know. Germany is Region B?

Posted: 29 Dec 2007, 21:08
by saltysam
bradavon wrote:They used to be Sony ;) . Some of my UE's have Fox on the back, others Sony.
saltysam wrote:That won't matter to Mark as he's going region B Blu :D
I know. Germany is Region B?
i'm confused :? why would Mark seek out the German die hard 1 when it's available in the uk? as he'll have a region b player it won't matter to him if the uk BD is coded.

Posted: 29 Dec 2007, 22:12
by bradavon
I just meant it's a Fox disc but apparently Region Free. That's all.

Posted: 30 Dec 2007, 11:17
by Markgway
bradavon wrote:They used to be Sony ;) . Some of my UE's have Fox on the back, others Sony.
I was stating that FOX were the current distributors as that's what will affect impending Blu-Ray releases. Sony own MGM; but MGM's rights for the Bond films now lie with Fox (except Casino Royale which Sony co-produced).

Posted: 30 Dec 2007, 18:48
by bradavon
It's weird if Sony still own MGM then why would they let Fox release all their films.

Posted: 30 Dec 2007, 18:52
by Markgway
I guess MGM still have a certain autonomy?

Posted: 30 Dec 2007, 18:57
by gasteropod
MGM left Sony as a distributor, and now use Fox as one.

Posted: 30 Dec 2007, 19:11
by bradavon
I wonder what beef MGM had with Sony. They only held the rights for a short period of time.

Posted: 30 Dec 2007, 22:26
by saltysam
Got Shoot Em' Up usa blu-ray yesterday-add it to the list of Region A locked titles.

Posted: 30 Dec 2007, 22:57
by bradavon
Thanks. It is a New Line release.

The UK EIV release is also region locked. The USA offering does look considerably better though (PIP Commentary and DTS-HD MA). New Line are going to release it on HD-DVD too.

I guess it's likely New Line's Pan's Labyrinth is BD Region locked too. I'm in two minds to get it or the HD-DVD. I'd prefer it on BD but given a choice I don't want a Region Locked disc.

Have you heard anything Salty? I can only find HD-DVD reviews.

Posted: 30 Dec 2007, 23:20
by saltysam
bradavon wrote:
Have you heard anything Salty? I can only find HD-DVD reviews.
there's a thread on the BD here. check the very first post and click on image 4. clearly shows Region A. Seems to be some controversy over applied DNR.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=957299

Posted: 30 Dec 2007, 23:23
by Markgway
I was trawling google for BOGOFs and apparently there was a 2-day FOX BOGOF at Amazon that we all missed (just two weeks back). Amazon suck at signposting their HD/BD offers. I can never find them.

Posted: 30 Dec 2007, 23:33
by saltysam
Markgway wrote:I was trawling google for BOGOFs and apparently there was a 2-day FOX BOGOF at Amazon that we all missed (just two weeks back). Amazon suck at signposting their HD/BD offers. I can never find them.
they had a 50% off Fox titles a while back. i got Speed for around £9.50

Posted: 30 Dec 2007, 23:49
by bradavon
saltysam wrote:There's a thread on the BD here. check the very first post and click on image 4. clearly shows Region A. Seems to be some controversy over applied DNR.
Thanks. All the HD-DVD rear cover pictures also clearly show a Region A region too :D

As to the DNR:
My takeaway: fans with screens larger than 100" may see a loss of clarity when directly comparing still shots from this domestic version to the same shots on the import, but the vast majority of viewers will never notice or care (especially considering how insignificant the visible difference actually is when the film is in motion).
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1185/panslabyrinth.html

I doubt I'll notice and doubt I'll ever own a 100" screen. That and it has a PIP Commentary + Lossless Audio make it the easy choice over the UK HD Discs.
Markgway wrote:Amazon suck at signposting their HD/BD offers. I can never find them.
It's really annoying.

There have been quite a few lately at .co.uk and .com. Most work out to £8/£9 a title and have been posted.

Posted: 30 Dec 2007, 23:54
by bradavon
I've just found a Pan's Labyrinth USA BD review but annoyingly they didn't check if it's region locked:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1181/panslabyrinth.html

Of no real surprise though it says:
(Note that the "Enhanced Visual Commentary" is not Profile 1.1-enabled, and should be playable on all Blu-ray hardware.)
In other words it's a second an entire second HD encode, which they can only get away with because of the extra 20Gb disk space.

Posted: 02 Jan 2008, 13:13
by saltysam
3:10 to yuma usa blu-ray confirmed region-free.

Posted: 02 Jan 2008, 18:14
by bradavon
No way. That's a Lionsgate BD too. Maybe they're changing their stance?

I presume this is you confirming this? It 3:10 to Yuma any good? Loads of people are buying it but it barely had a cinema release at all.