Page 18 of 426

Posted: 24 May 2008, 15:01
by romerojpg
Well your forgetting Lost Boys 2 :lol:

Posted: 25 May 2008, 11:23
by EvaUnit02
Darkman (HD-DVD) - 3/5
A well-made, comic book-esque revenge film, that's loads of fun.

Liam Neeson's portrayal of a sympathetic anti-hero was commendable. The villains' performances were decent too, you could tell that the actors would've been having loads of fun with their hammy roles.

Raimi's filmmaking skills were in top form, it's easy to see why this film has acquired a cult-following. Danny Elfman's score was good, - made the film feel like a Burton Batman, minus the OOT script comes as if it were written by poofters.

A solid HD transfer, Universal did a great job remastering this title.

Posted: 25 May 2008, 16:04
by romerojpg
EvaUnit02 wrote:Darkman (HD-DVD) - 3/5
A solid HD transfer, Universal did a great job remastering this title.
They remastered it! so its clean and good looking? I cannot say I have seen many titles they have cleaned up at all yet, and yet they spend time remastering Dark Man! there are so many amazing films out there/

Posted: 25 May 2008, 16:52
by EvaUnit02
romerojpg wrote:
EvaUnit02 wrote:Darkman (HD-DVD) - 3/5
A solid HD transfer, Universal did a great job remastering this title.
They remastered it! so its clean and good looking? I cannot say I have seen many titles they have cleaned up at all yet, and yet they spend time remastering Dark Man! there are so many amazing films out there/
Indeed they have, it's a respectable effort too that retains the natural film grain.

I believe that there's also a R1 DVD trilogy set, sporting remasters of the two DTV sequels as well.

Posted: 25 May 2008, 16:54
by bradavon
Agreed Dark Man is a good film. It's the only Raimi film I like.

Posted: 25 May 2008, 17:25
by saltysam
Darkman HD-DVD is a fine effort for a fine film and a huge upgrade from the dvd.

Posted: 25 May 2008, 18:50
by romerojpg
I am wondering why they re-mastered it? its never been a massive film like other back catalogue ttiles released on HD which they neevr even came close to remastering. Someone stuck some cash ib, maybe Raimi :D as hell he has more cash than god.

Which he should be splashing out on his great film to get great releases out there :D

Posted: 25 May 2008, 18:53
by bradavon
I do wonder how they decide what to release next sometimes. There has been some bizarre choices of which HD Discs to release next.

Why on earth did Studio Canal release King Kong (1976) for example. It cannot have many fans.

Posted: 25 May 2008, 19:04
by romerojpg
I like King Kong 76, its far better than the awful black and shite version and people snap that up all the time.

Posted: 25 May 2008, 19:08
by bradavon
IMO King Kong 76 is awful, King Kong 33 is very impressive from a technical point of view but as a film it's not exactly well made, the script is rubbish and the acting worse.

I would disagree King Kong 76 is better but do agree King Kong 33 is overrated. King Kong 05 is excellent, but too long.

Posted: 25 May 2008, 19:23
by romerojpg
Ahh I just have fond memories of the 76 version from when I wass a kid, which is the best time to view such films as you dont pikc them apart like we do now when we are adults, the cast esspecially is wonderful. Far from a perfect film mind you, but good fun, no idea if I would get the HD version mind you haha

Posted: 25 May 2008, 22:26
by tom2681
Mystic River: 2,5 / 5
Nothing special.
The Eli Wallach cameo was the highlight of the film for me.

Posted: 25 May 2008, 23:13
by bradavon
I wouldn't say it's quite as bad as that but I too thought it was only pretty good, the best bits are in the trailer. Million Dollar Baby is much better.

Posted: 25 May 2008, 23:40
by HungFist
Saw Mystic River in cinema 5 years ago, but can't remeber how good it was.

Million Dollar Baby is 2,5/5

Posted: 25 May 2008, 23:54
by Markgway
It took me ages before I realised Jeff Bridges wasn't the Ape.

Mystic River was overpraised tosh. And I like Clint Eastwood films.

Posted: 26 May 2008, 00:39
by Shingster
I enjoyed Mystic River but too found it massively over-rated. I do not think Million Dollar Baby is any better though.

Posted: 26 May 2008, 01:59
by Markgway
I found Mystic River left a bad taste in my mouth... which doesn't happen all that often.

Posted: 26 May 2008, 08:52
by Lourdes
Markgway wrote:I found Mystic River left a bad taste in my mouth... which doesn't happen all that often.
:lol:

Posted: 26 May 2008, 14:01
by Lourdes
"THX 1138" - 4.5/5
I always thought that this was a student film made by Lucas and the attention it got was because there were lots of Lucas fanboys, I didn't realise that it was based upon a student film of his.
It's a very simple and linear film, which is perhaps why it works so well with the setting and basic plot being established naturally whereas most fillms which feature totalitarian society usually go to great pains to establish an overall view early on. Lucas doesn't do this, nor do we ever get more than a small glimpse of it from the perspective of the characters. There's no grand plot either, no toppling or fighting against society, there's just one man; one man who's played rather well by Robert Duvall. All the cast seemed rather good to me, for much of the film there is not a a great deal of acting as such, but all the characters seem very appropriate from the big black bloke to one time actress Maggie McOmie, who really should have continued in the acting career, they all work very well.
Very good film, simple does not mean simplistic.

Posted: 26 May 2008, 14:09
by gasteropod
Was it the remastered version with the changes? I haven't seen either, but am interested in people's opinions on the different versions.

Posted: 26 May 2008, 15:02
by Lourdes
Yes, the new version. I had a bit of a Google about the changes and comparisons of them, it appears that nothing was changed really, Lucas only added to the film and improved the look of it. I'm certainly not going to find the original version, I'm an overly harsh critic and I really liked what I saw.

Posted: 26 May 2008, 21:23
by bradavon
Lourdes wrote:"THX 1138" - 4.5/5
I always thought that this was a student film made by Lucas and the attention it got was because there were lots of Lucas fanboys, I didn't realise that it was based upon a student film of his.
I didn't know that too. I thought the same as you.

I've heard it's good but I'm not sure I'm interested in another "totalitarian society" film.

Posted: 26 May 2008, 23:57
by Markgway
Lourdes wrote:
Markgway wrote:I found Mystic River left a bad taste in my mouth... which doesn't happen all that often.
:lol:
Dirty bastard!! :wink:

Posted: 27 May 2008, 19:43
by HungFist
Into the Sun (USA, 2005) – 3/5
Second viewing, still very enjoyable. You’ve got Seagal, Tokyo, yakuzas, cute japanese girls (plus a chinese girl with pigtails and katana), Takao Osawa as the villain, Chiaki Kuriyama cameo, and Steven himself singing the great theme song. If that’s not good entertainment I don’t know what is.

Posted: 27 May 2008, 21:20
by saltysam
The Descent blu-ray 3.5/5

One of the best british horrors in recent memory,this is an excellently made,taut movie about a group of women who get trapped in a bottomless,unexplored cave with seemingly no way out.the ending was a bit of a let down but overall a very good effort.excellent blu-ray transfer. i was surprised to see a sequel is currently filming starring the original's two leads.