AMD or Intel?
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
I must admit Intel is better when it comes to laptops.
In a "proper" PC there's no contest, though.
My new overclocked AMD 64 X2 4600+ is pretty much unbeatable.
In a "proper" PC there's no contest, though.
My new overclocked AMD 64 X2 4600+ is pretty much unbeatable.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
Lourdes
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1994
- Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
I don't play games so please take them out of the equation entirely.romerojpg wrote:But most sites still say Intel Core 2 Duo are still by far the best, apart from some games obviously.
Isn't that a desktop processor? We're talking mobile processors here.EvaUnit02 wrote:Easy, Core 2 Duo. Blows away all current AMD CPUs. Be sure that it's at least an E6300 though.
I thought that was going to be the case. It was 4-5 years ago when I knew about PC CPU's too. Sadly space will be a major issue for me so it must be a laptop.In a "proper" PC there's no contest, though.
My new overclocked AMD 64 X2 4600+ is pretty much unbeatable.
Tom has an AMD and that's a server processor not for desktops, is it not? What's a C2D?Lourdes wrote:Tom, you just threw your money away. The Opterons are the same but so much cheaper. Although IMO they're still a waste, better to save a bit more and go C2D.
p.s - As is often the case I don't get Eva's humour
Last edited by bradavon on 30 Mar 2007, 19:58, edited 2 times in total.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
* Why? Why is it a bad thing Intel's are better? Price aside.tom2681 wrote:I must admit Intel is better when it comes to laptops.![]()
I have no allegiance to either. I get whichever is better at the time.
Please give more detail I need to make sure I buy the best I can afford, as it won't be upgraded for some years (except RAM maybe). Are Intel Core 2 Duo's faster in laptops? Do the batteries generally last longer? Why?
* Oh and why are laptops processors always way less? Sure I understand there are space and battery issues but a 1.8Ghz desktop processor would run like a dog yet that's standard in a laptop. The OS is the same, weird.
* One more question what Intel processor is the AMD Athlon XP 2500+ equivalent to?
I'm going to sell my computer the next few weeks and it's the question people always ask. I'm sure it's faster than a P4 2.5Ghz but could be wrong.
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
Which ones ?Lourdes wrote:The Opterons are the same but so much cheaper.
The AM2 opterons are too expensive.
The socket F opterons.... *checking* are too expensive as well.
The socket 939 opterons are pretty much dead.
I did a lot of research before choosing an X2.
I'll go back to Intel when Hell freezes over.Lourdes wrote:better to save a bit more and go C2D.
No they are not faster. In fact they are ridiculously slow (I've seen a few recent Intel laptops).Brad wrote:Are Intel Core 2 Duo's faster in laptops? Do the batteries generally last longer?
However:
- AMD CPUs have a tendency to get hot (not a good thing in laptops).
- AMD CPUs use more electricity than Intels.
So, as much as it pains me to say it: go Intel.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Even though they're ridiculously slow? And therefore I presume the Turion is faster? That sounds bad. Core 2 Duo vs. Athlon 64 x2 is of no concern to me remember 
Most of the Core 2 laptops use the 1.66GHz Mobile variant and to upgrade (if it's even possible) to 1.83Ghz costs loads.
Would I A: notice a difference under general usage?
B: How much percentage wise would I notice a difference under more heavy work? 1.83Ghz to 1.66Ghz is a 0.17Ghz difference that's nothing compared to the price difference. Also if you don't mind please:
What Intel processor is the AMD Athlon XP 2500+ equivalent to?
I'm going to sell my computer the next few weeks and it's the question people always ask. I'm sure it's faster than a P4 2.5Ghz but could be wrong.
Most of the Core 2 laptops use the 1.66GHz Mobile variant and to upgrade (if it's even possible) to 1.83Ghz costs loads.
Would I A: notice a difference under general usage?
B: How much percentage wise would I notice a difference under more heavy work? 1.83Ghz to 1.66Ghz is a 0.17Ghz difference that's nothing compared to the price difference. Also if you don't mind please:
What Intel processor is the AMD Athlon XP 2500+ equivalent to?
I'm going to sell my computer the next few weeks and it's the question people always ask. I'm sure it's faster than a P4 2.5Ghz but could be wrong.
-
Lourdes
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1994
- Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19
Brad, Tom is just a fanboy. I really fail to understand fanboyism when it comes to something like a processor. Even with say ATi vs nVidia there are various points of contest but with a processor and chipset you have transparency.
C2D is cheaper, faster and uses far less power. Better for mobile and static systems.
C2D is cheaper, faster and uses far less power. Better for mobile and static systems.
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
Lourdes wrote:I really fail to understand fanboyism when it comes to something like a processor.
I see dozens of PCs every day. In fact, most of my pocket money comes from fixing them.
Fact: I have yet to find a C2D that offers good performance, that's all.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Could someone answer my question above please?
Even if Tom is a fanboy I'd still be interested in his opinion Core 2 Duo is ridiculously slow? Just so I can make an opinion. I have asked elsewhere and everyone is saying Intel Core 2 Duo.
Oh C2D Core 2 Duo
, oops. I'll go and re-read Lourdes comments now I get what he means.
Even if Tom is a fanboy I'd still be interested in his opinion Core 2 Duo is ridiculously slow? Just so I can make an opinion. I have asked elsewhere and everyone is saying Intel Core 2 Duo.
Oh C2D Core 2 Duo
I'm finding the Turion to be cheaper than C2D myslelf. I've not been looking at AMD 64's.C2D is cheaper, faster and uses far less power. Better for mobile and static systems.
Last edited by bradavon on 01 Apr 2007, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Now I get it that's rather good
. I should've paid more attention in geography class 
According to this article the Core 2 Duo beats the Turion 64 X2:
http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/02/27/du ... age12.html
If I were comparing desktop processors things maybe different but I'm not.
According to this article the Core 2 Duo beats the Turion 64 X2:
http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/02/27/du ... age12.html
If I were comparing desktop processors things maybe different but I'm not.
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Someone/anyone? -
bradavon wrote:1. Most of the Core 2 laptops use the 1.66GHz Mobile variant and to upgrade (if it's even possible) to 1.83Ghz costs loads.
Would I A: notice a difference under general usage?
B: How much percentage wise would I notice a difference under more heavy work? 1.83Ghz to 1.66Ghz is a 0.17Ghz difference that's nothing compared to the price difference.
2. What Intel processor is the AMD Athlon XP 2500+ equivalent to?
I'm going to sell my computer the next few weeks and it's the question people always ask. I'm sure it's faster than a P4 2.5Ghz but could be wrong.
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Pentium 4 1.8A Northwood.bradavon wrote:2. What Intel processor is the AMD Athlon XP 2500+ equivalent to?
You're after the T5500 vs T5600.1. Most of the Core 2 laptops use the 1.66GHz Mobile variant and to upgrade (if it's even possible) to 1.83Ghz costs loads.
Would I A: notice a difference under general usage?
B: How much percentage wise would I notice a difference under more heavy work? 1.83Ghz to 1.66Ghz is a 0.17Ghz difference that's nothing compared to the price difference.
Oh please, you're just a lazy cunt.bradavon wrote:Thanks guys but I only want a quick answer on both, particularly the second one. It's overkill to join a whole new forum just for that (IMO).
Here, I asked on your behalf, since Google turns up fuck all. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1 ... 1030856861
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Thanks Eva. That looks to be a P4 2.4Ghz in layman's terms. Which is what I read on another website.EvaUnit02 wrote:Pentium 4 1.8A Northwood.
The P4 model numbers completely lost me back in the day, the P4 moniker was in production for way to long.
Correct. There is also a 1.60Ghz version but it's FSB is 533 vs. 557. The two above are the more common types, with the former most common.You're after the T5500 vs T5600.
I found the same. Thanks for the answer btw, that's just the ticket. I guess I should sign up to that forum.Oh please, you're just a lazy cunt.
Here, I asked on your behalf, since Google turns up fuck all. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1 ... 1030856861
The Toshiba Satellite A100-049 it is:
http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/prod ... cification
That's the best price too. The only alternative (assuming you're quick enough and can find it on Dell's VERY annoying website) is a Dell for £70 more which would've got me the T5600, a 1440x900 resolution, Wireless-N as well as G and an ATI Radeon X1400 (which I understand is faster than a Nvidia 5300).
But the Dell doesn't support more than 2Gb of RAM (4Gb, 3/3.5Gb in real terms on the Toshiba), lacks DVD-RAM support and the Toshiba extended warranty is reasonable. They look otherwise all but identical. The Dell deal is also now over, so I'd have to wait in hope (current deals are rubbish).
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Ah no. 1.8 = 1.8GHz dummy.bradavon wrote:Thanks Eva. That looks to be a P4 2.4Ghz in layman's terms. Which is what I read on another website.EvaUnit02 wrote:Pentium 4 1.8A Northwood.
Correct. There is also a 1.60Ghz version but it's FSB is 533 vs. 557. The two above are the more common types, with the former most common.You're after the T5500 vs T5600.
No shit, of course it would obliterate a Geforce FX series 5, considering that it's 2002 vs. 2005 technology.ATI Radeon X1400 (which I understand is faster than a Nvidia 5300).
That laptop has a GF7300Go.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=68669
But honestly you should be happy with either or, both should be able to handle Aero fine.
You going to uninstall Windows Media Center? That seems to be the most useless feature in Home Premium. Business looks to be so much better, with shit like Shadow Copy. Too bad it's like 1/3+ the price of Home Premium. I can get Business for free legally.
