The Play.com Bargains Thread!

Sell Your Stuff, and What's on Sale
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Those Toshiba HD set-top players sold out pretty fast. You might still be able to pick up the 360 addon drive for cheap, brand new though.

Speaking of HD-DVD players, I tried out my EP30 on the house's new Samsung 40" LCD 1080P set (over HDMI) and it looked fantastic (after calibration). The film that I watched was Dune.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

I was gonna get another Toshiba HD DVD player for a Christmas present for someone, now they aint cheap anymore I dont think I will :lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Surely by Xmas discs are going to be relatively hard to find? I'm hoping by Xmas BD Players will be a reasonable price.

What needed calibrating Eva?

The Black Level on mine is more like a dark grey but I cannot seem to work out how to fix it. It could be the TV but I don't recall DVDs looking like this. I have had to adjust it's contrast a bit as by default it's too bright but if I turn it down too much it gets too dark.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

You need to reduce the Brightness on an LCD to improve the black level, and increase the Contrast to improve the white level. If the whites look too hot (as in, having a blue tint), you need to modify the Gamma if there is such a setting, otherwise you need to go into the service menu and reduce the BDRV.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Life On Mars Season 1 blu-ray
http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/6044 ... oduct.html

Life On Mars Season 2 blu-ray
http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/6044 ... oduct.html

£17.99 each,seem decent prices for full series.
working class blu-ray fan
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Godfather trilogy BD £34.99-cheaper than i can find the usa release

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/6193 ... ource=9593
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Post by IronMonkey »

Just ordered Crysis Warhead for £14.99 from Play.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:Life On Mars Season 1 blu-ray
http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/6044 ... oduct.html

Life On Mars Season 2 blu-ray
http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/6044 ... oduct.html
OMG! I completely missed this. Each series is only 8/9 episodes. It's about right.

I may pick up Series 2. I've not seen that one yet but really it's just not as fun as Ashes to Ashes. Sure it's very well made but I kept missing all the fun when watching Life on Mars: Series 1.

I finished it thinking it's very well made but I have little interest in checking out Series 2. On the other hand I cannot wait for Ashes to Ashes: Series 2. Life on Mars is weaker for having no female protagonist too.
saltysam wrote:Godfather trilogy BD £34.99-cheaper than i can find the usa release

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/6193 ... ource=9593
Great price, thanks. It's also that price at HMV:

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=834466

I cannot find it cheaper either. I'll be getting this one but not at first.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Rambo 1-4 box set DVD £14.99 not bad for a recent release.Rambo is that price on it's own there

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3298438/ ... P36=9QM2JQ
working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Isnt Rambo 3 cut?
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Only by 2 secs for a horse trip.

(Haven't you asked this before?) :D

Even I wouldn't worry about that.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

5% Off @ Play.com:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803549

It doesn't work for me but it seems to for others :(.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Does this cut make it a lot better? My suspicion it won't.
Last edited by bradavon on 12 Dec 2008, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:Does this cut make it a lot better? I'm suspicion it won't.
Well you would be very wrong. Its a very different film, vastly different in fact, from the look of it (entirely new colour timing, cgi etc..) to the music and way it flows, everything has been redone and massive amounts have been inserted into it.

Also one of the best looking HD images created yet, the kind of picture that impresses anyone who sees it. Nothing at all like the old film looked, its like it has had millions more spent on its new better look, gobsmaking look it has now its almost like 3D its so amazing.

Now it Pisses all over Kingdom of Heaven thats for sure.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I didnt care much about Troy when I watched it in the cinema. My girlfriend liked it, mostly because of Pitt, Orlando and Bana I guess, so I might buy it on her behalf.
For me it's just a well made so-so movie, with mediocre performances.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Mirror's Edge for the PS3 is £19.99 at Play.com, I've just ordered it 8)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Romero.

I seriously doubt it betters Kingdom of Heaven: DC though.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Hey many people would think its not going to be much better, and amazingly pretty much everyone said the new cut was a big deal and far better. I liked Troy it was an OK film far from what I wanted mind you, but the longer cut just adds so much more to it, I was very suprised how they could turn a film, into a superb film and an actual Epic.

I remember this comparsion was a good read back in the day, tells of some of what they changed and how it just makes it better

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/30134/tr ... ctors-cut/


Kingdom of Heaven for me never fully worked in either cut, just feels wrong even with extra footage and has no sense of time at all for a film that suposed to spans many years. The volume of footage Ridley shot mind you tells me there may be another cut in 10 years time :D

Still the HD DVD of Troy DIR CUT was cheap as chips, no idea if it still is mind you as the old versions probibly still lingers around a lot.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

and has no sense of time at all for a film that suposed to spans many years
That's true.

As to Troy. Pitt is such a known face, all I can see is Brad Pitt not some historical figure.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:As to Troy. Pitt is such a known face, all I can see is Brad Pitt not some historical figure.
Wasn't Achilles a mythological figure?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Well all of the Greek/Trojan heroes in the film were mythological then in that case I guess :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Probably I'm not sure. You can be historical and mythological at the same time.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Pirates blu-ray trilogy £10.99. apparently people have had shipping notices for this.

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/5408 ... ource=9593
working class blu-ray fan
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Cheers for that Salty, not exactly a fan of the trilogy but may sell it on for profit. It says temporarily out of stock so let's see what happens with my order haha.