Page 3 of 8
Posted: 31 May 2009, 12:09
by bradavon
I'm happier too with the Bruce Lee films we're getting. As Eva says the 40 minutes from Game of Death are well worth it BUT I've real no massive interest to pay for those in HD, SD is fine.
When are these coming again? The first link doesn't work any more (for me anyway) and the second doesn't say.
I'm so all over Fist of Fury and the OUATIC Trilogy, love those films.
I'll probably get Way of the Dragon too at some point but as Enter the Dragon won't be in the original language I'll pass on that one (I already own the Warner BD anyway) and Big Boss isn't really a keeper IMO or in other words I'm happy with the HKL PE DVD.
Posted: 31 May 2009, 12:38
by EvaUnit02
bradavon wrote:I'll probably get Way of the Dragon too at some point but as Enter the Dragon won't be in the original language I'll pass on that one (I already own the Warner BD anyway) and Big Boss isn't really a keeper IMO or in other words I'm happy with the HKL PE DVD.
I'm keen on Fist of Fury and Way of the Dragon. I can definitely leave TBB, it's a pretty poor film.
Posted: 31 May 2009, 13:17
by Markgway
I'd definately buy FIST OF FURY.
Almost certainly would buy THE BIG BOSS.
Would consider buying WAY OF THE DRAGON.
Already have ENTER THE DRAGON (USA)
Wouldn't touch GAME OF DEATH
Posted: 31 May 2009, 16:29
by saltysam
The Big Boss is a fantastic movie,Raw and rough certainly but absolutely superb.i've probably watched it more times than Bruce's other HK movies.
Posted: 01 Jun 2009, 06:25
by Old Pang Yau
saltysam wrote:The Big Boss is a fantastic movie,Raw and rough certainly but absolutely superb.i've probably watched it more times than Bruce's other HK movies.
Damn straight

I mean, I can admit, of Lee's 4 completed films... it's his worst (Lee doesn't fight for half the runtime, non-Lee fights seem like flailing of arms and legs... Lee punches a man through a wall leaving his body's outline, etc). But strangely enough, it's always been my favorite. Most likely because of said "raw" tone that Salty mentioned. Then again, the mystery surrounding the giant blocks of deleted scenes have gripped my interest for over a decade now (first "discovered" the saw-in-the-head story and the Mandarin trailer around the same time in '98 ).
If these are released seperately, I'm going for Big Boss, Fist of Fury, and Way of the Dragon. I already have a DVD of the Chinese cut of ETD, which does nothing for me anyway. I mean, the only "treasure" hiding on there is the alternate opening credit sequence... not something I desperately need in HD.
All we need now is the release date! Asian Blu-ray Guide has them listed as June 15, but that's probably just because the articles said "mid-June"... so they took it literally. Hopefully something solid will be coming soon... preferably this week

Posted: 01 Jun 2009, 11:48
by Markgway
I expect the release date will be announced only a week or so before the actual street date. That's how it works in HK. Unlike in the US or UK where announcements are made months in advance.
Posted: 23 Jun 2009, 20:54
by bradavon
Any word on these? I cannot see it being June now.
Posted: 23 Jul 2009, 18:49
by saltysam
Posted: 23 Jul 2009, 19:54
by grim_tales
I'd buy FIST OF FURY, THE BIG BOSS and maybe WAY OF THE DRAGON.
Not fussed about GOD though, only the final 20 minutes and the cool locker room fight make it worthwhile.
What is that reviewer on the page talking about? 94 minutes is the Cantonese version (I think). Was he expecting the uncut Mandarin print?
Posted: 23 Jul 2009, 19:59
by saltysam
Pretty sure Big Boss is longer than 94 minutes-anyway he's talking about a vcd not blu-ray

Posted: 23 Jul 2009, 20:06
by grim_tales
Oh, right

Can't remember how long TBB is, TBH.
BOSS is about 94/95 minutes long at PAL speed.
I found that when BOSS was submitted to the BBFC in 1972 it was 105 minutes long. Could this be the Mandarin print?
Re:
Posted: 26 Jul 2009, 21:19
by bradavon
Yay! FOF here I come. Hopefully it's not HK BD rip off prices though.
Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray
Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 18:46
by saltysam
Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray
Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 18:48
by grim_tales
Seems expensive!
Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray
Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 18:55
by saltysam
grim_tales wrote:Seems expensive!
Not an issue,Romero will know where to get these for £3 each within a week

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray
Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 20:21
by bradavon
Annoyingly average HK BD prices

. Does anyone know why HK DVDs have always been reasonable but their BDs always expensive?
Are you getting them Salty? I'll wait for opinions before getting FOF.
Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray
Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 21:49
by gasteropod
saltysam wrote:Not an issue,Romero will know where to get these for £3 each within a week


Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray
Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 22:02
by saltysam
bradavon wrote:
Are you getting them Salty? I'll wait for opinions before getting FOF.
normally i would but i'm unsure,have a feeling these will see a superior and cheaper release elsewhere soon enough.
Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray
Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 00:29
by bradavon
Really, why? Cheaper probably but superior. I'm unsure, not soon anyway.
Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray
Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 11:21
by Markgway
No original mono according to specs posted at the ADVDG.
No sale.
Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray
Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 13:05
by bradavon
That is annoying, especially as the 5.1 could be way too bombastic and not really stereo.
Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray
Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 18:09
by grim_tales
I bet no BDs will have original mono then, if the HK BD's don't

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray
Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 19:10
by bradavon
You never know. Fox and HKL took the Fortune Star DVD Masters and changed their DVDs. I doubt international BDs will be clones of these. Other Asian BDs are likely to be though. The trouble is I bet it will be forever before they get released internationally.
Given that Contendor killed off HKL I bet we won't be seeing UK Bruce Lee BDs any time soon, presuming they still even have the rights to Bruce's films. I doubt Fox in America will either.
Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray
Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 19:28
by saltysam
Well against my better judgement i've ordered these.lack of mono is a pisser but it's Bruce Lee-on blu-ray

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray
Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 21:19
by bradavon
In less than 24 hours you've gone from no thanks to why not

.