Page 23 of 426

Posted: 14 Jun 2008, 19:07
by bradavon
romerojpg wrote:Doesnt mean his taste is even close to mine, or yours as you liked the film compared to him.
You've massively missed the point of what that sentence means.

Posted: 14 Jun 2008, 19:10
by HungFist
romerojpg wrote:I dont think there is much to get with Doomsday, its just a silly, fun, over the top, bloody sick action flick :D
I don't mean it's an intelligent film, but why things are in the film as they are. It's a genre film. The punks are there because a) it's cool as shit, and b) that's how it was in Mad Max.
romerojpg wrote:But I will say I hated beyond words the Knights and the Castle scenes, in fact they gutted the film, it was a step into ignorance for me. Good job the end car scenes more than made up for them, with some cracking stunts and deaths :D highs and lows in the film for me, it could have been really superb if they had not went a bit stupid.
Seems like like we enjoyed the exact opposite things. To me the chase at the end was not one of the best scenes because of the editing (but of course there was a lot of good about that scene, too). However, the scene where the knight appears for the first time was a moment of divine brilliancy
bradavon wrote:
We live the days when mainsteam audiences didn't even get Grindhouse
To be fair it was woefully marketed, at least over here.
I believe they were pretty loud about the format in the US, especially with 'Tarantino the machine gun mouth' educating people right and left about Grindhouse movies. And of course the film itself had all these scratches and missing reel announcements so it really shouldn't take an Einstein to figure out what's plot here.
bradavon wrote: Even then, wasn't Grindhouse back in the 70s something of a niche market?
That is true, more or less. But I mentioned the film Grindhouse (2007) as comparison piece to Doomsday as Grindhouse really shouldn't have been that hard to understand (what it is), while Doomsday does a lot less explaining about its roots. Doomsday is a 100% genre film, released for big audinces that have little or zero knowledge of the genre. People get confused and you hear complaints like "the machine gun leg was too unrealistic" which show that people totally missed the point.

Posted: 14 Jun 2008, 19:19
by Markgway
Yes, some people still didn't "get" the Grindhouse concept even after all the promotion, but the film ultimately failed because very few people care about Grindhouse. It's not exactly a fondly remembered era in America cinema among the masses, just the cult geeks, the kind of people who post on forums like this. The average cinemagoer doesn't see a poster for Grindhouse and think "ahh... remember the good old days when the theatres showed "I Sucked My Mama's Blood" and there was cum on the seats". It was a niche and always will be.

Posted: 18 Jun 2008, 00:34
by DangerousLeeHandsome
The Incredible Hulk - 4/5
I think I'm one of about only 5 people who actually liked Ang Lee's film but I have to say, as a huge fan of the character, that this new film blows the old one out of the water. The action, the FX, the acting were all better IMO. I liked it a lot. Probably as good as Iron Man.

WrestleMania 24 - 3.5/5
WrestleMania has been getting slightly better every year since WM19 a few years ago. This latest Mania isn't the best but its one of the better ones. HBK v Ric Flair quite literally stole the show. Undertaker vs Edge was also quite good.

Posted: 18 Jun 2008, 02:07
by Markgway
I don't watch wrestling (haven't done since I was a kid) but shouldn't Ric Flair be collecting his pension by now?

Posted: 18 Jun 2008, 10:07
by grim_tales
Undertaker? I think I remember him from when I was a kid as well!

Posted: 18 Jun 2008, 19:11
by bradavon
I loved The Undertaker as a good and fondly remember Wrestlemania 6 with a ridiculously long fight between Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior.

Posted: 19 Jun 2008, 00:30
by DangerousLeeHandsome
Markgway wrote:I don't watch wrestling (haven't done since I was a kid) but shouldn't Ric Flair be collecting his pension by now?
Funny you should mention that because Flair lost to HBK (Shawn Michaels) at Mania in a "Career Threatening Match" which meant Flair had to retire. And he was inducted into WWE's Hall of Fame this year.

Posted: 19 Jun 2008, 18:37
by Godzooki
bradavon wrote:I loved The Undertaker as a good and fondly remember Wrestlemania 6 with a ridiculously long fight between Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior.
The Ultimate Warrior AKA Jim - he was awsome!! :)

Posted: 20 Jun 2008, 12:24
by grim_tales
Sex and The Silver Screen - Eps 5 and 6: 3/5

Interesting doc but has the same failings as the rest of the shows, overly scripted narration, not enough real clips, getting actors to read out other people's quotes - why?
The irritating "wah wah wah" type music did not nothing but annoy. Not in the same league as the super MGM doc "When The Lion Roars".
The doc was made in 1995 so it climaxed with Basic Instinct, as it were, and briefly mentioned Showgirls on a news snippet. The NC-17 rating is still seen as kiss of death in Hollywood even today.
Surprised Emmanuelle (1974) wasnt mentioned in the documentary.
I've never seen Last Tango In Paris or Looking for Mr. Goodbar though.

Posted: 20 Jun 2008, 17:04
by saltysam
Botched 1.5/5

Crazy horror starring Stephen Dorff.a motley bunch find themselves holed up on a floor of a building populated by the deranged descendants of ivan the terrible.this actually started off quite well but 20 minutes in grew tiresome with the humour falling flat.not worth your time.

Posted: 23 Jun 2008, 02:27
by Markgway
No Country For Old Men 4/5

Good film, great performances, suspenseful story and direction.

Marred only by unanswered questions (this is a film not a novel) and struggle with narrative coherency, never the Coens' strong suit.

Posted: 23 Jun 2008, 02:53
by gasteropod
Yeah I found it really suspenseful at the cinema.

Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 18:07
by saltysam
Dirty Harry (blu-ray) 5/5

Still one of the finest examples of 70's cop thriller, i love this movie.Eastwood owns the role. the blu-ray transfer is not one of warner's better efforts of older movies in hi-def but still far better than the dvd.the opening sequence isn't good but things get better from there.

Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 18:18
by gasteropod
Rambo (2008): 2.5/5

I just found it boring really, and the violence meant nothing to me.

Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 18:34
by romerojpg
This means nothing to me Oh, Vienna :lol:


http://youtube.com/watch?v=X3OaIsqtG64

Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 01:03
by Markgway
Boring? Wow! I can understand people not liking Rambo for whatever reason - but I never thought I'd hear anyone say it's boring. It only lasts about 75 mins (sans credits) and most of that is action.

Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 09:15
by grim_tales
The Theif of Bagdad (1940) - 4.25/5

Very good film. Fantastical and exciting Arabian Nights fantasy, I really enjoyed it :) It has a different tone to the Ray Harryhausen films (this isnt a bad thing), the plummy English accents sounded a bit odd at first given the Arabian setting of the film. I think I may get the Criterion :)

Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 13:55
by EvaUnit02
grim_tales wrote:The Theif of Bagdad
Did he steal your dictionary?

Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 14:00
by grim_tales
Oops, i before e except after c :D

Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 19:04
by saltysam
Magnum Force blu-ray 4/5

First sequel to Dirty Harry is a solid follow up. Clint is as charasmatic as ever in this tale of vigilante cops. film is about 15 minutes too long though,with a partner for Harry who has very little to do,i also found the climax a little weak.transfer to hi-def is ok if not spectacular.fleshtones were a little too red but could be inherent in the source material.

Posted: 26 Jun 2008, 17:39
by saltysam
The Enforcer blu-ray 3/5

Eastwood returns for his 3rd stint as the iconic cop Dirty Harry,this time with lesser results than it's 2 predecessors.getting lumbered with Tyne Daly as his new female partner seems to inhibit him a little but still there's enough good moments in this to make it worthwhile.ok transfer to blu-ray, nothing special.

Posted: 29 Jun 2008, 16:46
by grim_tales
The Thief of Bagdad (1924): 3.5/5

I thought this was very good. it's rather long, and hard to watch at times because its a silent film, but has many thrilling sequences (flying horse, magic carpet, monsters, magic army etc) and the organ music score and clever use of tinting really added to the atmosphere. It was a good achievement for 1924 especially :)
The pretty Anna May Wong appears as a Mongol slave girl.

Posted: 29 Jun 2008, 23:50
by Markgway
Jack the Ripper (1988) 4/5

Good TV version of the Ripper mystery. Gets a fair amount of detail right, but makes up a bunch of stuff, including its debatable conclusion. Manages to be gripping mostly, with the exception the extraneous romance between Michael Caine (who's excellent) and Jane Seymour (who's attractive). Runs 190 mins, but is more absorbing than most 120m movies. Gore is very restrained, especially compared to From Hell. But that's to be expected, and doesn't detract. I believe this was filmed in 1.66 so the 16:9 matting is reasonable.

Posted: 30 Jun 2008, 21:44
by saltysam
Sudden Impact blu-ray 2.5/5

Pretty flat entry in the Dirty Harry series is redeemed somewhat by Eastwood's undoubted charisma in the role.starts off well but soon sinks into a standard revenge plot potboiler. Clint oddly nearly disappears for much of the climax, the film does have the famous "make my day" quote,Albert Popwell is good as ever & i liked Meathead the dog