Page 4 of 18

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 20:22
by bradavon
Which is odd when British DVD prices have always been very good, better than Aussie prices in fact.

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 20:23
by gasteropod
I remember buying my first DVDs at like £16.99, so not much difference really with the average UK BD being £17.99.

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 20:42
by bradavon
I guess but I seem to remember in only 6-12 months prices had dropped dramatically. I paid £14.99 for my UK DVDs and £17.99 for my American ones from Play.com (known then as Play247.com).

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 20:55
by saltysam
probably because BD discs are far more expensive to manufacture than dvd. in fact someone in the industry recently made a comment on the dvdforums that the rrp is barely a break even price for them.

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 20:59
by gasteropod
saltysam wrote:probably because BD discs are far more expensive to manufacture than dvd. in fact someone in the industry recently made a comment on the dvdforums that the rrp is barely a break even price for them.
Hmm, I find that hard to believe. Yeah more expensive to manufacture, but not making a profit on discs costing £17.99+ each?? Whatever!

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 21:16
by saltysam
only passing on what a respected poster on dvdforums claimed-true or not i do not know. i buy too few uk blu-ray's to care really.

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 21:22
by gasteropod
Oh yeah I wasn't saying you're bullshitting!

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 21:36
by bradavon
I too would find it impossible to believe it costs £15 a time to create a BD. In fact I don't believe it for a second.

Thanks though.

Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 22:15
by IronMonkey
I would probably put money on the fact that BDs more than likely cost less than £3 or £4 each to make at the moment, and I bet they end up costing about 20p each in the future!

Whoever said the companies don't make much profit on a £17.99 disc obviously has no clue!

Posted: 14 Mar 2008, 00:09
by saltysam
when they first come out sony were charging over $23 wholesale in the states according to this

http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/vnune ... lu-ray-dvd

Posted: 14 Mar 2008, 20:26
by saltysam

Posted: 14 Mar 2008, 20:45
by romerojpg
Jesus! haha

+ 10% off with Quidco :D

Posted: 14 Mar 2008, 21:24
by Lourdes
saltysam wrote:when they first come out sony were charging over $23 wholesale in the states according to this

http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/vnune ... lu-ray-dvd
That has nought to do with manufacturing costs and ancient history in any case.

BD replication is less than a dollar a disc and it will eventually cost less than DVD after plant setup costs have been offset as the discs themselves are easier to make.

Posted: 14 Mar 2008, 21:24
by Lourdes
romerojpg wrote:Jesus! haha

+ 10% off with Quidco :D
I added some student thing to my HMV account. 10% off then 10% cashback. :)

Posted: 15 Mar 2008, 10:37
by saltysam
Lourdes wrote:
That has nought to do with manufacturing costs and ancient history in any case.

.
got a link to the current wholesale prices then?

Posted: 04 Apr 2008, 19:14
by saltysam
Omen Pentology (6 discs) £7.99 delivered.

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=565817

Willy Wonka 2-film set £4.99

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=716198

Posted: 04 Apr 2008, 19:19
by romerojpg
Lourdes wrote:
romerojpg wrote:Jesus! haha

+ 10% off with Quidco :D
I added some student thing to my HMV account. 10% off then 10% cashback. :)
Just noticed that.

Cracking! :D are you a student?

Posted: 04 Apr 2008, 19:26
by bradavon
Isn't only the first Omen any good?

Posted: 04 Apr 2008, 19:34
by romerojpg
Does it matter :D you either like that sort of trash or you dont. I hate them all, stupid creepy child crap, god damn painful watching kids being evil!

Posted: 04 Apr 2008, 19:41
by saltysam
Omen 1 is excellent, 2 is good and 3 is average.haven't seen number 4 which is a tv movie nor the remake.well worth £7.99,it'd fetch more on ebay after it's been watched :)

Posted: 04 Apr 2008, 19:56
by bradavon
Thanks. I was always led to believe Omen isn't trash and a proper horror. I'd likely just pick up Omen 1.

I'm not the sort who really has to see all sequels.

Posted: 04 Apr 2008, 20:00
by romerojpg
bradavon wrote:Thanks. I was always led to believe Omen isn't trash and a proper horror.
Whoever told you that, is deluded, its big budget horror trash.

Posted: 04 Apr 2008, 20:15
by bradavon
Many would say The Living Dead and Evil Dead films are just that too ;)

Posted: 04 Apr 2008, 20:17
by saltysam
HMV in-store are doing momentum hd-dvds 3 for £20 or a tenner each.the likes of Pan's, Wolf Creek,The Host,Mullolhand Drive & Pianist are included.

Posted: 04 Apr 2008, 20:41
by bradavon
Thanks Salty. They're Optimum discs btw :)

I presume the deal is obvious and you don't need to go to the counter to find out?

Mulholland Drive and La Haine are great at £6.66 each, those are still usually well over a tenner. I'll see if I can pop in at the w/e.

The titles are (I presume they're all included?):

Mulholland Drive
The Pianist
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Deer Hunter
La Haine
Pan's Labyrinth - Also on BD
Wolf Creek - Also on BD and also only the shorter Theatrical Cut
The Host - Also on BD

I'm interested in Mulholland Drive, La Haine and probably Brotherhood of the Wolf. I'd prefer The Host but that's been released on BD and I have been meaning to re-watch Brotherhood of the Wolf for ages.

I've been meaning to pick up Mulholland Drive and La Haine for a while.

EDIT: They're also £9.99 on HMV's website but there is no 3 for £20 deal :(