Well my Toshiba 47Z3030 LCD seems to handle games flawlessly. The motion just seems perfect to my eyes. So yes, you may be right.Yi-Long wrote:...but isnt LCD better at handling videogames? That's what I read, not too long ago. It's supposedly better for the fast movement on screen etc, reaction time and all that jazz.
Need a new television
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
The public picked LCD because of price, plasmas still cost a bomb. IMO both are very good and do the job just fine.saltysam wrote:It's all subjective imo. neither plasma or lcd are perfect but clearly the consumer has chosen LCD.
Yes I don't make many LCDs.saltysam wrote:Panasonic are the plasma specialist aren't they?
Video games are for kidsYi-Long wrote:...but isnt LCD better at handling videogames? That's what I read, not too long ago. It's supposedly better for the fast movement on screen etc, reaction time and all that jazz.
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
That tv is pretty damn expensive thoughgasteropod wrote:Well my Toshiba 47Z3030 LCD seems to handle games flawlessly. The motion just seems perfect to my eyes. So yes, you may be right.Yi-Long wrote:...but isnt LCD better at handling videogames? That's what I read, not too long ago. It's supposedly better for the fast movement on screen etc, reaction time and all that jazz.
Nice buy!
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
Yeah.... I tried being mature like you, Brad... but it just wasnt any fun...bradavon wrote:Video games are for kidsYi-Long wrote:...but isnt LCD better at handling videogames? That's what I read, not too long ago. It's supposedly better for the fast movement on screen etc, reaction time and all that jazz.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
Again, rubbish. Who says the consumer has clearly chosen LCD? I bet its pretty much even. There was an independent survey done not so long ago where a group of people were asked to watch the same stuff on different screens & rate which they thought were better for different aspects of the picture.saltysam wrote:it's all subjective imo. neither plasma or lcd are perfect but clearly the consumer has chosen LCD. Panasonic are the plasma specialist aren't they?
They didn't know at the time whether they were viewing plasmas or LCDs but the overall consensus came back that the consumer prefers the more natural image on a plasma screen. It was something like 70:30 in favour of plasma, with no bias from the testers as they weren't aware of what type of screen they were watching.
I've said it before like & I'll say it time & time again until someone actually listens. LCD screens do not cope as well with motion as plasmas do. That is a FACT.Yi-Long wrote:...but isnt LCD better at handling videogames? That's what I read, not too long ago. It's supposedly better for the fast movement on screen etc, reaction time and all that jazz.
Fast movement, reaction time, all that jazz is better on plasma. FACT.
The only area where LCDs may have a slight advantage is with image retention. They are slightly less prone to image burn-in than plasma screens are. Having said that, I've played Call of Duty 4 for 7 hours straight on my plasma & haven't had any burn in.
It is a common misconception that plasmas burn like crazy if you leave a static image on them for like, 5 minutes, whereas LCDs can't burn at all. EVERY SCREEN TECHNOLOGY EVER MADE CAN SUFFER FROM IMAGE RETENTION AND IMAGE BURN-IN.
Again, this is FACT. Yes, LCD can suffer burn issues. I've seen it with my own eyes. LCDs also feature more "stuck" pixels than plasmas, on a FAR more regular basis.
Yes & no. They do have massive plasma screen plants but they also produce lots of LCDs. They don't have a bias for either really. They do screens from 26" to 37" in LCD & from 37" to 150" (3840x2160p!) in plasma. There is a crossover with the 37" models as I've stated before, & the plasma screen is far better than the LCD.saltysam wrote:Panasonic are the plasma specialist aren't they?
I don't agree with that either. Size for size, you'll probably find plasmas are cheaper. For example, we sell the Panasonic TX-37LZD70 LCD for £999 whereas the Panasonic TH-37PX70 plasma is £899.bradavon wrote:The public picked LCD because of price, plasmas still cost a bomb. IMO both are very good and do the job just fine.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
so i go in the likes of currys and for every plasma there is probably 7-8 LCD's on sale. if sales are even that means 1 make of plasma sells as many as 6-7 equivalent lcd's then surely?quite a few people in work have been buying new tv's over the last few months and all have bought an LCD screen.IronMonkey wrote:
Again, rubbish. Who says the consumer has clearly chosen LCD? I bet its pretty much even.
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
So you're saying, that for gaming, LCD is the way to go, right!?IronMonkey wrote:I've said it before like & I'll say it time & time again until someone actually listens. LCD screens do not cope as well with motion as plasmas do. That is a FACT.Yi-Long wrote:...but isnt LCD better at handling videogames? That's what I read, not too long ago. It's supposedly better for the fast movement on screen etc, reaction time and all that jazz.
Fast movement, reaction time, all that jazz is better on plasma. FACT.
The only area where LCDs may have a slight advantage is with image retention. They are slightly less prone to image burn-in than plasma screens are. Having said that, I've played Call of Duty 4 for 7 hours straight on my plasma & haven't had any burn in.
It is a common misconception that plasmas burn like crazy if you leave a static image on them for like, 5 minutes, whereas LCDs can't burn at all. EVERY SCREEN TECHNOLOGY EVER MADE CAN SUFFER FROM IMAGE RETENTION AND IMAGE BURN-IN.
Again, this is FACT. Yes, LCD can suffer burn issues. I've seen it with my own eyes. LCDs also feature more "stuck" pixels than plasmas, on a FAR more regular basis.
Nah man, I hear ya. I just said that I read in a techy maggy that LCD IS better for gaming than plasma. So you say 1 thing and the maggy says another thing. Ofcourse, I trust a master ninja over a maggy, but still...
However, I do believe that Full HD plasmas, at least here in Holland, are still way too expensive.
I can get a fullHD Toshiba or LG for 1200 euro or so. I believe there is already a FullHD Samsung and some other brands which are below the 1000 euro...
Still ALOT of money ofcourse, but compared toa FullHD plasma, it's wayyy cheaper.
...if only we would already have Oled screens...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
I have to agree with Salty. I don't know anyone whose bought a Plasma "except for web" people (aka - Techies). It's all LCD. I do know this: The super deal are always LCD too.
I don't think you can even buy Plasma's that are under 37" too.
p.s - Both are excellent! Lets all hug and get along
That is the higher end of the market which many people don't go to. I'd seriously have to think about spending that much now. I did when I got my LCD TV in 2005 but they were considerably more expensive generally back then.IronMonkey wrote:Size for size, you'll probably find plasmas are cheaper. For example, we sell the Panasonic TX-37LZD70 LCD for £999 whereas the Panasonic TH-37PX70 plasma is £899.
I don't think you can even buy Plasma's that are under 37" too.
p.s - Both are excellent! Lets all hug and get along
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
I'll be happy with OLED, from what I've heard about it.bradavon wrote:And what will happen when that comes?. Something else will come that beats it. Both are still excellent!
I doubt TV's can become even better. Or better said, I doubt there will be a need to make them even better.
It's an exciting time to live in, although we'll have to see how the economy will keep developing, cause maybe we in the west wont be able to afford such luxury product in the future anymore, as wealth etc moves to other areas of the world....
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
I cannot see them stopping at that.Yi-Long wrote:I doubt TV's can become even better. Or better said, I doubt there will be a need to make them even better.
While it's definitely clear China will become more powerful. It's still got some way to go to be as economically powerful as America or Germany, France or The UK.Yi-Long wrote:It's an exciting time to live in, although we'll have to see how the economy will keep developing, cause maybe we in the west wont be able to afford such luxury product in the future anymore, as wealth etc moves to other areas of the world....
That and while America has overtaken all European countries Europe is still a strong continent (by world figures). You cannot erase 300 odd years of colonial power that quickly.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
toshiba 32' lcd with freeview £430 & a free stand worth £130
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electro ... oduct.html
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electro ... oduct.html
working class blu-ray fan
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
I wish distributors and e-tailors would give some decent prices on 23" and 26" TVs.
All the big deals are 32" or 37" but both are way to big for my Mum's TV needs. Her living room is small and even if it wasn't she is so used to very small TVs she could never live with anything even as big as 32". She thinks my 32" TV is huge. I happen to think 26" would be the perfect size for her.
She currently has a 14" 4:3 Mono TV (that is truly hideous) and is interested in getting a new TV but 26" is absolutely the largest she'll go. It's likely she'll get a 23" LCD TV but those don't cost much less than many 32" LCD TVs.
You should be able to get a 23" LCD TV from the likes of Samsung for well under £300 but it's barely possible, if at all. Even during January Sales the best I could find was around £300. That's very expensive for what is just a 23" LCD TV.
It has 2 HDMI ports and is Full HD but doesn't look to have Freeview. That's a pity. If I was buying a TV today I'd insist it had Freeview, even for Sky/Cable users.
All the big deals are 32" or 37" but both are way to big for my Mum's TV needs. Her living room is small and even if it wasn't she is so used to very small TVs she could never live with anything even as big as 32". She thinks my 32" TV is huge. I happen to think 26" would be the perfect size for her.
She currently has a 14" 4:3 Mono TV (that is truly hideous) and is interested in getting a new TV but 26" is absolutely the largest she'll go. It's likely she'll get a 23" LCD TV but those don't cost much less than many 32" LCD TVs.
You should be able to get a 23" LCD TV from the likes of Samsung for well under £300 but it's barely possible, if at all. Even during January Sales the best I could find was around £300. That's very expensive for what is just a 23" LCD TV.
It won't win any awards for looks but agreed it does look pretty decent.saltysam wrote:looks pretty decent for £400 imo
It has 2 HDMI ports and is Full HD but doesn't look to have Freeview. That's a pity. If I was buying a TV today I'd insist it had Freeview, even for Sky/Cable users.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
26' lcd with freeview £289
i have a 27' minus freeview of this in my bedroom-decent set for the price
http://www.intekx.com/product_info.php? ... cts_id=197
i have a 27' minus freeview of this in my bedroom-decent set for the price
http://www.intekx.com/product_info.php? ... cts_id=197
working class blu-ray fan
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Thanks.
That is a very good price. AOC make decent computer monitors too. That TV also has two HDMI connections and is HD Ready too, not that my Mum will ever need that.
My Mum's TV has one scart connection meaning the amount of cables needed to connect her Freeview box, VCR and DVD Player to the TV is just madness. That and the fact it means 4 remote controls.
When she can finally afford it I am planning to take all this and replace it with a Freeview LCD TV and a Freeview Hard Disk/DVD Recorder. This will reduce it to just one box and two remote controls *. It will also mean literally just the two cables to the TV (RF cable + HDMI cable).
That will be so much nicer for her.
* This will also mean the same remote for both turning the channel over and volume/TV On/Off too. I appreciate this is something you could get used to with Sky but Freeview you don't have to. Having it built in also frees up a scart connection too. If you already have a perfectly good TV then I'd say just buy a Freeview box but when you're buying one anyway it makes sense to get a Freeview TV.
While I'd insist upon a TV I bought now having Freeview I doubt in reality I'd use it much when I have a Freeview HDD/Recorder and Twin Tuner PVR. Unless I could replace the PVR for a LG type TV with a built in PVR, that would be nice.
That is a very good price. AOC make decent computer monitors too. That TV also has two HDMI connections and is HD Ready too, not that my Mum will ever need that.
Agreed when it comes to cost but when it comes to simplicity and efficiency it's so much nicer being built in. I'd never recommend getting a DVD Player built in as they're usually pretty rubbish but there isn't much to Freeview other than maybe a decent EPG.saltysam wrote:a freeview box is pennies these days,i wouldn't think it mattered whether it ws built-in or not.
My Mum's TV has one scart connection meaning the amount of cables needed to connect her Freeview box, VCR and DVD Player to the TV is just madness. That and the fact it means 4 remote controls.
When she can finally afford it I am planning to take all this and replace it with a Freeview LCD TV and a Freeview Hard Disk/DVD Recorder. This will reduce it to just one box and two remote controls *. It will also mean literally just the two cables to the TV (RF cable + HDMI cable).
That will be so much nicer for her.
* This will also mean the same remote for both turning the channel over and volume/TV On/Off too. I appreciate this is something you could get used to with Sky but Freeview you don't have to. Having it built in also frees up a scart connection too. If you already have a perfectly good TV then I'd say just buy a Freeview box but when you're buying one anyway it makes sense to get a Freeview TV.
While I'd insist upon a TV I bought now having Freeview I doubt in reality I'd use it much when I have a Freeview HDD/Recorder and Twin Tuner PVR. Unless I could replace the PVR for a LG type TV with a built in PVR, that would be nice.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
