I'm sure John Edward Gammel (Teddy) didnt do it. John G (Carrie Anne Moss's boy friend) did it BUT Lenny made up the Sammy Jankis story because he felt guilty about overdosing his wife with insulin, and didnt want to "remember" it.
I think?
Last edited by grim_tales on 02 Sep 2008, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah that was what I thought Gasteropod.
Good thought Hung but Lenny can believe whatever he wants, he said he'd lie to himself as it was what he was happy with, and that "Teddy" would be his "John G".
Why, if Lenny cant remember anything after the incident he wouldnt know he has a "condition". I think Lenny killed someone, but then he got a new identity.
I didn't see it that long ago (again) and I cannot remember how I thought it went. Confusing but lots of fun. I've yet to bother with the Chronological cut.
Markgway wrote:Memento did absolutely nothing for me.
A thriller overpraised for its gimmick.
Sadly, that's mostly the case with any movie that does get the hype a brainless blockbuster gets, but is still different enough to make all the dumb clueless people that hardly ever watch movies other than Will Smith flicks and Disney cartoons, really think it's cinematic brilliance.
The same goes for Tarentino movies, or a movie like The Usual Suspects. People see it and think it's the best everrrrr...
It isnt. Broaden your horizen, sad bastards!
Good? Sure. Brilliant? Hell no.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
I'd hardly call the idea in Memento a gimmick, that's OTT. It's the films entire concept. It's like saying The Dark Knight being about Batman is also a gimmick.
Yi-Long wrote:Broaden your horizen, sad bastards!
With what exactly?
I'm not of the club that thinks Usual Suspects it's a masterpiece but it is very well written, you cannot deny it that. Pulp Fiction is also very well written. Speaking of QT I don't reckon most people still consider QT some "film god". He's only made two seriously critically acclaimed films.
but is still different enough to make all the dumb clueless people that hardly ever watch movies other than Will Smith flicks and Disney cartoons, really think it's cinematic brilliance.
Memento was praised by most people, including those who have broadened their film horizons. I didn't get it at first, it took me two watches before I really enjoyed it. It's just a clever thriller and there's nothing wrong with that.
I Remember watching Memento ages ago and being a little underwhelmed but i was really ill at the time laid up so was probaly not in a good frame of mind to watch it. reading this thread makes me want to give it another go.
2nd time around watching this enjoyable romp,it's really nothing special but gets an extra star by virtue of being much better than jackie and jet's recent hollywood output.some decent action along with an entirely predictable plot but well worth catching.decent blu-ray transfer.
I enjoyed The Usual Suspects originally - but shaggy-dog wind-ups are hard to revisit with the same enthusiasm. When the ultimate twist negates the 90 mins you've just watched at first you think "clever", then you think "bastards". I felt a bit cheated last time I watched it. One reviewer described the film as "too knowing for its own good" and I now know what he meant. Memento wasn't even as good as that.
Memento isn't a gimmick, because it's done that way to put you in Leondard's shoes. 'Irreversible', on the other hand, is a gimmick, because there's no reason for it to be that way.
I don't like The Usual Suspects because the whole film is pointless. The guy lied, great, cheers for wasting 2 hours of my life.
gasteropod wrote:Memento isn't a gimmick, because it's done that way to put you in Leondard's shoes. 'Irreversible', on the other hand, is a gimmick, because there's no reason for it to be that way.
The time structure was the best thing about Irreversible. It starts from the ultra dark ending, and then goes back to the happy beginning. Which makes it all the more effective as the last thing you see is the good times. But you know that it will all change. Time will destroy everything.
Eastwood western never quite reaches the heights of some of his other oaters but remains a decent film nonetheless. in a typical role Clint is a mysterious preacher come to town to help settlers battle against the corrupt town boss who wants their land.this movie has never looked very good on home video but this HD Transfer is excellent.
bradavon wrote:The 10 minute rape (or whatever it is) in Irreversible is enough for me to avoid it. I don't need to be seeing anyone brutally raped for that long.
Yeah, the fire extinguisher beating is even worse. Not a nice film.
Grim: Well everyone knows roughly what the twist is anyway mate