Page 39 of 110
Posted: 19 Aug 2007, 19:08
by saltysam
i've been getting way better prices on playtrade than ebay-you work out what you want for an item,take fees into account then list it until it's sold.much easier.
Posted: 19 Aug 2007, 19:10
by saltysam
bradavon wrote:The DVD Talk review of the Terminator BD goes into some depth explaining how it really looks no better than the DVD:
The problem is that the Blu-ray hardly looks like High Definition at all. In fact, in the majority of scenes it's barely distinguishable from the 2001 DVD edition of the movie. In direct comparison, there's a modest improvement in detail and clarity, especially in the brightest daylight scenes, but overall it still looks like a better-than-average DVD.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22644
Salty please post your thoughts when it arrives.
p.s - Isn't Playtrade just like eBay? Why use it too.
more positive review here
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/terminator.html
Posted: 19 Aug 2007, 20:24
by romerojpg
Posted: 19 Aug 2007, 21:18
by bradavon
The DVD Talk review doesn't say there is no improvement. I watch movies about 4 metres away (maybe a bit less), it's a bit further than I'd like but it cannot be helped due to my room layout.
What distance do you watch moves Romero then? 4.5 metres (15 feet) isn't that far, just a bit far. I'd say most people watch the TV 2.5-4 metres away.
Cheers for the review Salty, please post what you think when it arrives. It is asking a lot to fit a 107 minute film in MPEG2 with a PCM soundtrack on a Single Layer BD.
Posted: 19 Aug 2007, 22:34
by romerojpg
15 feet crikey man thats far, far, far to far away for me
HD wouldnt even be worth getting at that distance if you have not got a gigantic screen. You can barley, if at all tell any difference at 15 feet between HD and Standard dvds, they may look a bit better, but no way would there be any point in getting HD on a screen of say 42 inches or less, and then sitting 15 foot away it just wouldnt impress you as much as sitting closer would.
I sit 3.5 feet away when watching HD at the moment, I would sit closer but hey

and the difference from my normal dvd viewing (about 6.5 foot away) and sitting 3.5 foot for HD is massive, you see sooo much more when you get closer.
3.5 feet is what I call the cinema experience, its perfectly watchable and you dont just see a little more the closer you get, you see MASSIVE amounts more

I am blown away by what I see this close, its staggering the little things you see. But you would not see any of that from 10 foot away, or even 6 foot away.
All HD has made me want to do, is sell my TV and get one at least 2 times the size

but I couldnt afford that.
Every HD DVD I have seen so far, well all of them impressed me and some have blew me the hell away

I watched Underworld Evolution HD DVD the other night, the detail in that image was mind boggling, the sheer amount of detail was beyond anything I could ever image

exactly what I hoped HD would be. If I had sat a few foot back I would not have seen so much, esspecially Kates shiny bottom :mrgreen:
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 01:57
by bradavon
You sit 1 metre away from the TV??? Dude that is seriously bad for your eyes, especially on your TV size. It's like extreme IMAX
I doubt anyone (bar you) sits that close, that's really not a good idea. Why would you sit further away for DVD but closer HD? That makes no sense to me. As to not bothering with HD on less than 42" you're right everyone with a portable DVD player should throw it away, pointless.
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 09:48
by gasteropod
You're supposed to sit twice the height of the screen away for the optimal viewing experience I think, so Romero is right.
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 10:21
by IronMonkey
I sit 5 feet away from my 37" plasma & thats the perfect viewing distance for me...
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 10:26
by Shingster
gasteropod wrote:You're supposed to sit twice the height of the screen away for the optimal viewing experience I think, so Romero is right.
Who told you that one? Stevie Wonder?
It's supposed to be between 3-6 times the
width of the display if you're watching a TV. Anything above 4times is a little far though, and if you have a larger screen TV (say 40inch and more) I reckon 2times the width would be ok. If you've got a projector then you measure distance from screen based on a roughly 30degree viewing angle.
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 14:22
by Markgway
I just sit where the fucking chair is.
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 14:29
by EvaUnit02
Markgway wrote:I just sit where the fucking chair is.
Which ever chair you left your heroin kit on.

Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 15:32
by saltysam
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 16:43
by bradavon
Oh go on then, for that price why not. If The Matrix were a Combo it would be that for just the one film alone.
Nice one thanks Salty. Do Sendit charge on shipping or order?
saltysam wrote:why would the matrix be obviously cut? it's been reclassified uncut so i'm sure Warner will release the same version here.
Are you sure? Nothing from the Matrix has been submitted since 2004 (except one extra reference in 2006). The last "The Matrix" reference was 1999.
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 17:12
by romerojpg
bradavon wrote:You sit 1 metre away from the TV??? Dude that is seriously bad for your eyes, especially on your TV size. It's like extreme IMAX
I doubt anyone (bar you) sits that close, that's really not a good idea. Why would you sit further away for DVD but closer HD? That makes no sense to me. As to not bothering with HD on less than 42" you're right everyone with a portable DVD player should throw it away, pointless.
Maybe when people were watching TV's 60 years ago with 200 lines of resolution yes
Its changed a lot yet many of the ignorant rules that were in practice back then have not been updated at all! so everyone still thinks they are right, they are not.
You do not get bad eyes sitting that close to a screen (well if your screens shit then yes its not good or the resolutions way to low), its a myth for LCD and I think Plasma as well. Think how close you sit to you PC screen for instance, most people are right up to it, as if you sit 10 foot away you dont see a thing, same thing for HD on your big screen.
Closer you get the more you see, further away you sit the less detail you see.
It makes no sense to sit closer to a screen when your watching HD? how?
Its got Far more resolution and you Can sit closer, if you sit close with standard dvds you start to see flaws and awful mess to be honest, thats why people dont sit so close with them.
HD you can stick your face up to the screen and if the media your watching is quality and your screens not crap, the pictures still stunning. Sitting to far away beats the point of HD completetly as the further away you go, the less you see, but again it depends on size of screen/projector, we in the UK still have Tiny little screens compared to say America
Some of the pro HD DVD Reviews site now have stated viewing distances for TV sizes when they review HD discs, 32 inch screens is 6 foot minimum. I forget the rest, but really they wont let the reviewers do reviews if they sit to far away, 15 foot from a 32 inch is to far away and pointless
Do you read newspapers from 10 foot away? no as that makes it harder to see the words, same with HD

you miss it all if your too far away basically.
See Read this from 6 foot away 
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 17:14
by saltysam
bradavon wrote:Oh go on then, for that price why not. If The Matrix were a Combo it would be that for just the one film alone.
Nice one thanks Salty. Do Sendit charge on shipping or order?
saltysam wrote:why would the matrix be obviously cut? it's been reclassified uncut so i'm sure Warner will release the same version here.
Are you sure? Nothing from the Matrix has been submitted since 2004 (except one extra reference in 2006). The last "The Matrix" reference was 1999.
sendit charge on despatch. Matrix re-submitted last year.
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classifie ... enDocument
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 17:22
by romerojpg
Amazing deal, still wondering what the extras are like mind you
but uncut if more than good for me, as hell extras on HD are crap anyway, they look worse than my dvd player on standard dvds, interlaced crap and jaggies all over on my toshiba HD player, it may play HD perfect, but dvds are pants as ar standard def HD extras.
I will probiblyu keep my old Standard set for the extras, as no way i want to watch them standard defextras on my HD player.
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 17:24
by bradavon
Thanks Salty. Weird I cannot find that when searching.
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 17:48
by saltysam
funny romero,my toshiba e-1 plays SD dvds superbly well

Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 18:01
by romerojpg
saltysam wrote:funny romero,my toshiba e-1 plays SD dvds superbly well

Hey Its not all dvds thats for sure on my A-20, mainly standard def extras on HD and Standard dvds and interlaced/deinterlaced stuff (what ever they mean exactly). Most good dvds are fine, just not perfect like my Oppo dvd player for standard stuff which is made to get rid of all problems like that. but I did not buy my HD player for standard dvds anyway I guess.
Most people dont notice jaggies anyway, I am picky as usual

Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 18:33
by saltysam
i am referring to region 2 dvds of course as my machine isn't multiregion,i guess your's only plays region 1 sd Romero?
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 18:41
by romerojpg
Yup only Region 1

less lines of resolution to start with I guess for NTSC, it isnt good for TV shows I noticed. Something to do with tranfers and all that, too complex I say.
It is a shame we dont have Multiregion HD players yet, then I could maybe sell my standard dvd players.
I am wondering why Sendit has droped the price so rapidy, very odd for them. Maybe they know somehting we dont.
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 18:57
by saltysam
i'm sure details will emerge before it comes out.worth ordering,it can always be cancelled.maybe it's warner's way of giving the uk hd-dvd market a boost

Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 19:03
by saltysam
Toshiba HD-E1 HD-DVD player (region 2) £185 delivered + 2 free hd-dvd movies. i paid £200 more for this,great machine.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... 80&subcat=
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 19:34
by bradavon
Good price.
Why would it be any different from the American Trilogy box set? It's not like it's going to be the Ultimate set for that price:
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... tion4.html
romerojpg wrote:I am wondering why Sendit has droped the price so rapidy, very odd for them. Maybe they know somehting we dont.
Sendit are selling American HD-DVD Players, really? Any links? I cannot find any.
So you upgraded your Panasonic DVD Player then?
Posted: 20 Aug 2007, 19:37
by saltysam
i think Romero is referring to the Matrix set Brad.