Page 1 of 2

Bruce Lee weekend on C5

Posted: 25 Nov 2005, 14:15
by grim_tales
Showing from Saturday, to mark what would have been Bruce's 65th birthday (all right actually thats next week).

Bet you can't guess whats on.. you can? Yep:

The Big Boss

Bruce Lee: The Lost Interview

Bruce Lee: Martial Arts Superstar (documentary

Enter The Dragon

:roll: ETD is a classic film, but I have the R1 SE so why would I bother watching it with ad breaks? No mention of whether "Boss" is dubbed or not either (I suspect its dubbed).

Why they cant they be more imaginative? ETD is always on during a day/weekend with a Bruce theme.

Jackie's "Who Am I" is on also.

Posted: 25 Nov 2005, 15:59
by Markgway
Fist of Fury is on tonight; and tomorrow it's Tokyo Raiders, but at 7pm so it'll maybe be cut.

Posted: 25 Nov 2005, 16:05
by grim_tales
I think it is, in the Radio Times review for TR it says "Edited for violence".

I hope "Fist" will be uncut (when it was last shown on C4 it was cut) but RT says Five are showing the English version (not sure). :?

Posted: 26 Nov 2005, 02:29
by Markgway
Fist of Fury was uncut (from what I saw) and English dubbed. Letterboxed at approx 1.78. V.G print from Fortune Star (but the audio was remixed).

Bummer about Tokyo Raiders being edited for violence. I didn't recall it being terribly violent, just a few minor bits 'n' pieces. Only a '12' via the BBFC. Surely Ch5 could've stuck it on uncut at 8pm instead?

Posted: 26 Nov 2005, 09:38
by grim_tales
I noticed Fist was uncut as well (I saw it up to the bit just after Bruce first goes to the Bushido school).
When I watched it on C5 on Freeview, the opening prologue was 2.35/1, then it was zoomed in. The opening credits were 2.35/1 and then it zoomed in again.
When you say "Fortune Star print" I *think* it was actually the same print HKL used for their original DVD of "Fist" - it had the Media Asia logo at the beginning.

Posted: 26 Nov 2005, 09:43
by IronMonkey
It was definitely not the Fortune Star print. It looked exactly the same as the HKL print to me...

Posted: 26 Nov 2005, 10:02
by grim_tales
Yeah thats what I thought too (hence the Media Asia logo).

Posted: 26 Nov 2005, 13:55
by Markgway
grim_tales wrote:When you say "Fortune Star print" I *think* it was actually the same print HKL used for their original DVD of "Fist" - it had the Media Asia logo at the beginning.
Yeah, sorry. For some reason I thought it said Fortune Star at the end but it must've been Star TV and I got muddled. I only got a brief glimpse and wasn't paying proper attention. :oops:

Posted: 26 Nov 2005, 14:02
by grim_tales
It was quite neat to see it uncut on TV though! :D Dubbed or not. :)

Posted: 26 Nov 2005, 16:10
by bradavon
Bruce Lee: Martial Arts Superstar - Was this any good?

Posted: 26 Nov 2005, 16:53
by grim_tales
Thats on Sunday Brad (I think?) before ETD. ETD will likely be uncut as well (after all its been shown uncut on BBC2).

Posted: 26 Nov 2005, 17:17
by bradavon
Those who haven't seen it must check out The Lost Interview.

p.s - Thanks Grim.

Posted: 27 Nov 2005, 11:55
by grim_tales
Mark did you see BIG BOSS last night?
I watched the beginning, the print was the same used for HKL's DVD, but I'm not sure what the soundtrack was? :? The soundtrack seemed different from the dub on HKL's DVD (was it an older dub?) with lines like:

"That was dope!... Dope in ice?"
"Why you standing there like dumbass? Stupid bastard" (?) :D

Posted: 27 Nov 2005, 17:47
by Markgway
Sorry, I didn't watch THE BIG BOSS.

But with a different dub... I wish I had checked it out.

AFAICR HKL used the common American dub.


I watched about 8.5 secs of Tokyo Raiders before the fucking horrendous dubbing had me screaming for the hills.

Posted: 29 Nov 2005, 20:18
by jimmyscab
I watched a bit of Big Boss the other night, but couldnt stand the P&S ratio. The dub was suprisingly entertaining.

I sat down to watch the HKL DVD today and tried to compare the dub. I cant really remember, the spoken voices did seem different on Ch5s (although it may have been the difference in sound mix) but the music is definately the same.

Also anyone else think Enter the Dragon is Lee's worst movie ? It obviosuly has the best production value of the lot, but its boring as hell. Id actually rather watch Game of Death no joke.

Posted: 30 Nov 2005, 03:38
by Markgway
There has been a backlash against ETD from fans, but I still love it. Wasn't TBB shown 1.78/16:9?

Posted: 30 Nov 2005, 08:43
by grim_tales
It might have been but I'm not sure. Like "Fist of Fury" the opening credits were 2.35/1 then the film was 16/9 (it filled the screen anyway).

Jimmy you could be right about the difference in sound mix, the punches/hits sounded rather echoey for some reason.

Posted: 30 Nov 2005, 11:05
by jimmyscab
And the voices sounds more hollow on the DVD. On TV it was brought forward in the mix. I reckon it was the same dub though.

16:9, are you sure ? Ch5 never gives widescreen, movies are always 4:3. Not sure if its different on digital though. :?

Posted: 30 Nov 2005, 12:10
by grim_tales
I saw it digital (set in 16/9). The cropping thing was the same with ETD, the opening credits were 2.35/1 and then afterwards there were no black bars (on digital or analogue) :?

Posted: 30 Nov 2005, 12:53
by IronMonkey
jimmyscab wrote:Ch5 never gives widescreen, movies are always 4:3.
Not true. On digital services, they transmit in widescreen where possible. They still crop 2.35:1 images down to 1.78:1 to fill the screen as most other channels do though.

Its a shame as only the Sky movie channels seem to display a full 2.35:1 image for their films...

Posted: 30 Nov 2005, 13:19
by bradavon
Dubbing = EVIL :twisted:

No matter how good the dub is I can't stand it.
IronMonkey wrote:Its a shame as only the Sky movie channels seem to display a full 2.35:1 image for their films...
They have for the past few years.

Posted: 30 Nov 2005, 13:44
by IronMonkey
bradavon wrote:They have for the past few years.
I know!

Posted: 30 Nov 2005, 14:53
by Markgway
Yeah, SKY started showing films widescreen not long after I got rid of the movie channels. lol Were they waiting for me??? :cry:

Posted: 30 Nov 2005, 14:55
by Markgway
I have digital and a widescreen TV so maybe that means I can see it in 1.78 (16:9) as opposed to what analogue viewers get?

Posted: 30 Nov 2005, 15:01
by grim_tales
Yes thats right Mark (I think so anyway), as long as your digital box is set to 16/9 mode.