Doctor Who - SPOILERS

Discussion of Television Shows & Channels
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:They are one of the better "New Series invented" villains.
That is what I meant, his favourite "newly created" monsters.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Oh right, fair enough. It's hard to say with RTD. He seems to love his cute (note: pants) villains too.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Tonights episode was a cracker, the best of Series 4 yet. For those wondering what the Ood meant at the end I've heard a rumour. Don't read it if you don't want to hear a big spoiler, presuming the rumour is true:
A Dalek shoots Tennant in the Series Finale, which presumabely means a regeneration.
Next weeks looks to be even better. Martha and The Sontarons, great stuff!
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Christ, giant alien wasps. The return of RTD's bullshit.

Last week's "Doctor's Daughter" episode was pretty good though.

Bloody shit Eurovision, pre-empting the show by a week. I thought that I'd at least be able to enjoy Dr. Who, since BSG is being pre-empted by Memorial Day. Bugger.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It was a weak episode. I knew it would be, "period Who" rarely works. The Doctor's Daughter was cool. I wonder if RTD will be bring back Martha. It would be a missed opportunity if we had Rose but no Martha.

Why cannot Doctor Who be on before the Eurovision? :twisted: . The Eurovision song contest is car crash TV by the highest order.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Doctor Who guru Davies steps down:
Russell T Davies is to step down as executive producer of Doctor Who, the BBC has announced. Bafta-winning writer Steven Moffat will succeed Davies as lead writer and executive producer of the fifth series of Doctor Who.
Read on: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7411177.stm

This is fantastic news. Moffat is definitely a better writer.
sky75
Pedicab Driver

Post by sky75 »

bradavon wrote:
This is fantastic news. Moffat is definitely a better writer.
I completely agree. Did you see this week's first part of a two-parter? :D He's far and away the superior writer, Russell T Davies is a hack by comparison.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I had a bloody power cut while it was half way through recording so had to record the repeat yesterday. I'm going to watch it later tonight.

RTD has his moments but most of the time his writing is so poor and he just loves cute and cuddly (i.e - pants) monsters way too much. Dark is good in my book!
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Steven Moffat wrote last season's excellent episode, Blink, S2's "Girl in a Fireplace" and S1's two-parter with the WW2 boy in a gas mask. Him taking reins is the best thing that could've happened to the series. I'm expecting the overall series writing to improve 10-fold.

Last week's "Quiet in the Library" was great, guess who wrote that one?
sky75
Pedicab Driver

Post by sky75 »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Steven Moffat wrote last season's excellent episode, Blink, S2's "Girl in a Fireplace" and S1's two-parter with the WW2 boy in a gas mask. Him taking reins is the best thing that could've happened to the series. I'm expecting the overall series writing to improve 10-fold.

Last week's "Quiet in the Library" was great, guess who wrote that one?
yeah, You can't help but not notice his episodes are head and shoulders above the rest. In the same vein if you picked out a lot of the worst episodes they tend to be written by Russell T Davies. I can't understand a lot of people's sheep-like attitude to Dr Who when most of it is crap and they praise the very man for delivering said turds to our television.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

IMO you need to give RTD credit for what he has done well, namely bring Doctor Who back form the depths it had been buried, for making sure it has a decent budget and for bringing it up to date.

It's now way more popular than it ever was before, with a varied audience! But otherwise he sucks!

I guess it was inevitable but it is a shame it's now two distinct shows, the Classic and New shows. Despite what RTD says they share very little in common. Doctor Who of course, the tardis, parts of Doctor Whos' background and some of the same monsters and that's about it.

The Master in the Classic to New shows is completely and utterly different for example. Quite literally the only thing he shares in common is his name.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:The Master in the Classic to New shows is completely and utterly different for example. Quite literally the only thing he shares in common is his name.
I thought that Timelord's often undergo personality changes when they regenerate?
Eg Eccelston Who looked down upon humans, Tennant Who is in awe of their potential.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Yeah they do. The Master in the 80s was modelled on the 70's one too much, despite the fact he was supposed to be a new incarnation
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:I thought that Timelord's often undergo personality changes when they regenerate?
Correct but they have some similarities. The New Master is like Night and Day different to the Classic one. Ivan has a valid point though, but even each Doctor incarnation have some things the same, even Eccelston to Tennant.

I'm not really complaining as such as I like the New series. I guess I just have a nostalgic love of the Classic series too, some of it was excellent.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Maybe he was affected by his ToD during the Time War? Traumatic events can change a (human) person drastically in a short period of time, it wouldn't be very different for these long life buggers, I'd bet.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

ToD?

You're reading too much into it ;). RTD wanted to play it camp him up, simple.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Tour(s) of Duty.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I'm not sure that phrase really applies to a Time Lord but understood, thanks.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Fan-fucking-tastic episode last week, this show is in good hands. RTD can't leave soon enough.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Agreed. It was an excellent episode. The IT element was a bit pants though, a hard drive???
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

You're right, they should've used 5.25" floppy.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Last week's ep on the space jumbojet was fairly decent, RTD should stay away from bullshit ideas (like the Slythene) far more often.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It was pretty good. Next weeks looks like another corker. Series 2 is still my favourite but otherwise Series 4 is shaping up to my the second best yet (obviously of the New Series).

I'm really surprised they've not jumped at the chance to have Rose and Martha on screen together though.
EvaUnit02 wrote:You're right, they should've used 5.25" floppy.
Any contemporary jargon should be avoided, if it can be helped.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

My god this weeks Doctor Who looks like a corker:

Davros - They better not fuck up his history again!
The Daleks
Sarah Jane Smith
Rose
Donna
Martha
Captain Jack Harkness - Torchwood
Gwen Cooper - Torchwood
Ianto Jones - Torchwood

I really wasn't expecting Series 4 to be such a decent return to form.

I wonder how Julian Bleach will fair as Davros. It will be hard to top Michael Wisher's performance in Genesis of the Dalek. There's a 2008 picture here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... os2008.png

It's close enough.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Any ideas who the next Doctor will be? I don't see how Tenant can stay on now, not that that has ever stopped RTD before.

What an excellent episode. Rose with a BFG, excellent! :D. It was obvious Rose and The Doctor wouldn't be actually get back to together.

Series 4 Finale Episode, trailer (better quality than You Tube):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/video ... trl_05.xml

It includes bits from last nights episode too.