Page 1 of 3
The Matrix: UE 10 Disc Box Set, UK Region 2 - £16.99
Posted: 18 May 2006, 20:08
by bradavon
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=202272
FYI The Matrix is said to still be cut for head butts but the commentaries have been retained this time.
Source:
http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/show ... ost6405893
Posted: 18 May 2006, 20:10
by bradavon
I'm tempted to get this for that price. I've paid £12.99 before for new releases so it's only £4 more for another 8 Discs. The sequels aren't "that" bad, not great but not a disaster either.
(Apparently) Working HMV vouchers. The best is £2 or £3 off £20 if you can bump it to £20:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... 817&page=2
p.s - There's also a valid £1 voucher too out there but I can't find it.
Posted: 18 May 2006, 20:52
by gasteropod
But you don't mind The Matrix being cut?
Posted: 18 May 2006, 20:56
by bradavon
Assuming it is still cut no as the cuts are minor. Cuts of a few seconds such as The Matrix and Face/Off don't bother me as I can't ever even spot them.
If say 1 second was cut but it was crucial to the plot then it would bother me or if we were talking minutes being cut (such as the The Isle UK DVD) and of course 10-15 minute type cuts too then Yes it would bother me but a snip I can't even notice or am looking for then as far as I'm concerned big deal.
I know to most it's a principle thing but to me it simply is not.
Posted: 18 May 2006, 22:57
by romerojpg
Minor cuts?
I dont think so. 8 HEADBUTTS change the fights and the tone and make parts of the film no sense at all. How did Smith loose his Shades? they just suddently disapear (they were Headbutted off his face) and when they lock arms at the end what are they doing, kissing? (no they bang heads hard) but as they cut them all out its shit. Total waste of cash with such appauling cuts.
Posted: 18 May 2006, 23:44
by bradavon
I'm going to sleep on it I think. That's a great price but I distinctly remember the sequels being really one film very overblown into two with lots of padding.
Actually my brother has Reloaded and Revolutions. I'll give Revolutions another go as I remember that being the weakest of the Trilogy.
Romero thanks for confirming to me the cuts are minor
The annoying thing is:
A: Warner were offered uncut 18
B: I remember Mark saying the BBFC are now much more lenient on head butts so an uncut 15 would possibly be allowed. Does it cost to submit a film for classification?
Our forum member "rq42" has contacted the BBFC, and here's their reply: "Warner have not resubmitted the uncut version to us for this box set, so we assume the box set will contain the cut '15'-version classified by the BBFC".
Source:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=6433
Posted: 19 May 2006, 01:00
by EvaUnit02
This belongs in the dustbin. Matrix is still cut and The Animatrix is missing the original Japanese audio.
Posted: 19 May 2006, 10:34
by bradavon
I didn't know that. Is it just the R2 releases that lose the Japanese audio? A quick check of DVD Compare says the R1 and Korean R3 have it.
The cheapest I can find the R1 for is £25.99 -
http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/produc ... s_id=22653
The R4 is bound to be much more for me.
Posted: 19 May 2006, 11:30
by saltysam
i believe the matrix has recently been reclassified uncut,so another release,possibly hd-dvd is on the way.
Posted: 19 May 2006, 12:55
by gasteropod
Well they need to release a Special Edition of just The Matrix by itself. The current DVD is still the original one released yonks ago so has a shit picture. I want the version they did for the box set which has a new transfer with different colours to match the sequels.
Posted: 19 May 2006, 13:19
by EvaUnit02
gasteropod wrote:I want the version they did for the box set which has a new transfer with different colours to match the sequels.
We all want that recoloured remastered release to see individual release. It's on the release calendar for HD-DVD and Blu-ray, so hopefully they'll do an individual release alongside it.
bradavon wrote:Is it just the R2 releases that lose the Japanese audio?
R4 is missing it too.
Posted: 19 May 2006, 13:22
by EvaUnit02
saltysam wrote:i believe the matrix has recently been reclassified uncut,so another release,possibly hd-dvd is on the way.
I wouldn't be so sure, Warner don't usually bother to resubmit things to the BBFC. Eg Batman Returns SE is still cut when it would've easily been passed uncut today.
EDIT: Looks like you maybe right.
BBFC says it was submitted again in February 2006. It's 9 secs longer than the previous video release.
Posted: 19 May 2006, 13:50
by thelostdragon
Man, I was really about this one several times I was standning in front of it in the stores. I have taken it once from the video rental I work at and I just loved the extras. It contains some of the best extras I have ever seen.
Too bad the films suck, though which is why I have always resisted buying it.
Posted: 19 May 2006, 14:04
by gasteropod
The first one doesn't suck, the other two do, though.
Posted: 20 May 2006, 19:29
by bradavon
The Matrix in Remastered form looks so much better. They've done a stella job with this.
EvaUnit02 wrote:EDIT: Looks like you maybe right.
BBFC says it was submitted again in February 2006. It's 9 secs longer than the previous video release.
:shock:
Talk about adding insult to injury they bother to reclassify AFTER the box set is released. It looks to have only been cleared on the 2nd of May 2006.
Posted: 21 May 2006, 04:56
by EvaUnit02
bradavon wrote:Talk about adding insult to injury they bother to reclassify AFTER the box set is released. It looks to have only been cleared on the 2nd of May 2006.
We didn't buy the uber boxset, so why give a shit?
Posted: 21 May 2006, 11:59
by grim_tales
Its' annoying for those who DID buy the boxset though. Does that mean there'll be a seperate release of Matrix?
Posted: 21 May 2006, 14:52
by bradavon
EvaUnit02 wrote:We didn't buy the uber boxset, so why give a shit?
I give a shit as for me at least the UK R2 is considerably cheaper than the R1 or R4.
I'd love that Matrix SE transfer and for £16.99 it's not a to bad deal but at £25.99 (R1) it's a rip off.
Posted: 21 May 2006, 15:12
by EvaUnit02
bradavon wrote:EvaUnit02 wrote:We didn't buy the uber boxset, so why give a shit?
I give a shit as for me at least the UK R2 is considerably cheaper than the R1 or R4.
But you'd still end up owning Reshitted and Revolting. I'd rather drink toilet water than own those awful films.
Posted: 21 May 2006, 15:12
by gasteropod
Haha, yeah they're pretty damn terrible.
Posted: 23 May 2006, 11:55
by bradavon
The decision has been made for me. It's now back up to £39.99 at HMV. I was waiting until I'd rewatched my brother's Revolutions before deciding.
I can't be bothered now (to watch or buy it).
Posted: 23 May 2006, 13:31
by EvaUnit02
bradavon wrote:I was waiting until I'd rewatched my brother's Revolutions before deciding.
I can't be bothered now (to watch or buy it).
Don't watch Revolutions, you'll be doing yourself a favour.
Posted: 23 May 2006, 13:55
by grim_tales
Romero likes Revolutions

Posted: 23 May 2006, 14:01
by EvaUnit02
grim_tales wrote:Romero likes Revolutions

How unsurprising. If the Wachowskis made a mural out of their shit, Romero would probably declare it a masterpiece - especially if it had a some high school-level philosophical statement smeared on it.
Posted: 23 May 2006, 14:51
by bradavon
I was only planning to watch Revolutions to get an idea if I should buy the box set as I won't be now I'm not going to bother. From what I remember it's the weakest of the Trilogy.