Interesting programme - The Culture Show, BBC2

Discussion of Television Shows & Channels
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Interesting programme - The Culture Show, BBC2

Post by grim_tales »

I've just been watching a programme called "The Culture Show" on BBC2 which had an interesting item about Asian/HK cinema. Strange that many of the films it mentioned were on Asian DVD already (Hero, OldBoy) and Shaolin Soccer which has been on HK DVD for a whopping 3 years! :D
It didnt mention the dumbing down of Hero by Miramax either when they cut the film to 98m (HK DVD) changed the translation for Western release. Also no mention of Zhang Yimou's other films which sure arent MA films, Red Sorgum (sp?), Raise The Red Lantern and The Story of Qiu Ju.
The Matrix is really a sci-fi film that just happens to have MA in too, IMO.
I felt they could have mentioned more recent stuff when referring to Japanese cinema, Ringu was made 6/7 years ago for God's sake, Audition 3 years ago....

So what I would say is "Why does it take so long for cinema fans to supposedly "discover" these? :D
I would like to see "2046" though, I think "Chungking Express" (very good) introduced WKW to international audiences though of course he made films before that.

Did anyone see this?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

2046 looks friekin' fantastic, I can't bloody wait.

Even if a HK DVD arrives before January I think I'll wait now to see this on the big screen.

They should have asked Hamish (we know your name now, watch out :D) the head of Tartan why his releases have been so pants in the past!