Wireless problem - any suggestions?
Posted: 14 Oct 2006, 19:03
Hey guys,
Wanna tap the minds of those people that may have a clue about wireless.
Got the Orange broadband now and I set it up with my desktop PC with the PC in the room and the case about 1.5m away from the wireless box. Im using a Safecom SWLPT-54125 wireless PCI card in my PC.
When it was at that distance I used the following speedtest (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp) to test the bandwidth speed and it got 2.5Mbps, which was the same speed as my laptop that was connected to the wireless box via ethernet cable. So I was a pretty happy guy. On the windows wireless connection thing it had 5/5 bars signal strength.
So I took my PC back to the room it is based in and it is now about 6m away from the wireless box, with 2 or 3 internal thin walls between them. Now the signal strength flickers between 2 and 3 bars, the connection rate between the 2 devices is stated at at least 24Mbps usually, but using the same speed test I get results varying between 0.3Mbps and 1Mbps, although it is most often in the 0.3 Mbps region. The card also sometimes drops the connection.
Why is this?!??! Surely if it is connected at 24Mbps that is more than enough to allow better than 0.3Mbps in downloading online?!?!
Is it likely to be the card's fault? Should I invest in a wireless USB receiver thing instead? I can't move the wireless box any closer than it currently is either, or move the computer.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Cheers!
Wanna tap the minds of those people that may have a clue about wireless.
Got the Orange broadband now and I set it up with my desktop PC with the PC in the room and the case about 1.5m away from the wireless box. Im using a Safecom SWLPT-54125 wireless PCI card in my PC.
When it was at that distance I used the following speedtest (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp) to test the bandwidth speed and it got 2.5Mbps, which was the same speed as my laptop that was connected to the wireless box via ethernet cable. So I was a pretty happy guy. On the windows wireless connection thing it had 5/5 bars signal strength.
So I took my PC back to the room it is based in and it is now about 6m away from the wireless box, with 2 or 3 internal thin walls between them. Now the signal strength flickers between 2 and 3 bars, the connection rate between the 2 devices is stated at at least 24Mbps usually, but using the same speed test I get results varying between 0.3Mbps and 1Mbps, although it is most often in the 0.3 Mbps region. The card also sometimes drops the connection.
Why is this?!??! Surely if it is connected at 24Mbps that is more than enough to allow better than 0.3Mbps in downloading online?!?!
Is it likely to be the card's fault? Should I invest in a wireless USB receiver thing instead? I can't move the wireless box any closer than it currently is either, or move the computer.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Cheers!