Page 1 of 1
The X-BOX thread - Best Games and where to buy?
Posted: 02 Nov 2006, 22:08
by slasher13
Okay just got an Xbox off my little brother, because he got an x360 premium pack for free (lucky sod).
Just got a couple of games, Tenchu (Which is not bad, but not great), Onimusha and Ghost Recon. However I really want to get Ninja Gaiden Black, can someone give a good site to get UK games?
I've tried Play (out of stock), Amazon doesnt do it and BlahDVD hasn't got it
Also what good games are there for the xbox?
Posted: 06 Nov 2006, 13:39
by slasher13
11 Views, has no one got an xbox then

Posted: 06 Nov 2006, 13:53
by EvaUnit02
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 - The best Star Wars games like ever. Action RPGs (using the ever flexible d20 rules) set in the Star Wars universe 4000 years before TPM takes place (much more freedom with the licence that way). Both feature engaging storylines with rich characters. The primary gimmick (which is great BTW) of the series is that you can mould your character into user's of either side (light or dark) of the Force, your actions influence those around you too (not so much in the first one, but this was major feature of the 2nd).
The first one is developed by legendary developer Bioware (responsible for Baldur's Gate 1&2, Neverwinter Nights) and the latter by Osidian Entertainment (formed by ex-employees of the defunct Blackisle Studios who made Fallout 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2, Planescape Torment).
Posted: 06 Nov 2006, 14:08
by EvaUnit02
Try Gamejam.co.uk, I've never ordered from them though.
Posted: 06 Nov 2006, 15:59
by IronMonkey
The ONLY game you will ever need for your XBox is Ninja Gaiden Black. I have 38 XBox games but the only one that I ever play is Ninja Gaiden Black. It is simply THE best game EVER.
Posted: 06 Nov 2006, 17:41
by slasher13
Today went to gamestation, took a whole wad of old dvds, and exchanged it for
Ninja Gaiden Black
Burnout Revenge
Jade Empire (Similar style to Knight of the Old Republic - Chinese Martial Arts

)
Def on my list is
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
Posted: 06 Nov 2006, 18:35
by grim_tales
I'll ask my brother if he still has his x-box, as he just got a 360 too.
Jade Empire was very good.
Posted: 06 Nov 2006, 19:09
by Yi-Long
I liked Jade Empire when I first started playing it, but it soon got boring, graphics arent all that great, voices are pretty boring, as is the story...
Ninja Gaiden Black is awesome.
Also try to get Pro Evo 5, Rallisport Challenge 2 (great rally game), Psychonauts, Beyond Good and Evil, and perhaps Tiger Woods 05 or 06 or something...
Posted: 09 Nov 2006, 16:29
by EvaUnit02
Shenmue 2 - You must buy that, one of the best games of recent years. An adventure/fighting game hybrid (utlilises the Virtua Fighter fighting engine) set in a GTA-esque open-ended game world.
The setting is Hong Kong in the mid-1980's IIRC. You play as Ryo whose father was murdered by Lan Di, a former colleague of Ryo's father who received tutelage in the same kung fu school IIRC. Ryo is on a quest for revenge against naturally. The cast of story NPCs are great, with character depth and personality.
The game world is extremely rich, you can interact with anyone. There's so much to do, mini-games, puzzle-solving, etc. You know those quick button reaction sequences in RE4? Those were pioneered by Shenmue.
It's a very amusing game. Ryo gets all his money stolen when he comes off the boat at Aberdeen Harbour so he has to find a source of income. Eg lifting crates at the docks, manning gambling game kiosks, gambling, etc.
There's a lot replay value. I.e. You can collect capsule toys and Zippo lighters, take photos, unlock classic Sega arcade games like Afterburner and Outrun.
This is a very good fan site of the series:-
http://shenmue.planets.gamespy.com/
Posted: 09 Nov 2006, 18:05
by Yi-Long
I've heard from many people Shenmue 2 is great, but IF you have a Dreamcast, it's probably better to download a japanese language version of the game for that... cause the english voices in Shenmue are crap (I've only played Shenmue 1 on dreamcast, but my version had english voices and gawd, they were awfull. Ryu sounded so boring, and the rest of the cast sounded like they were from the asylum for very slow people...)
Xbox doesnt offer the player an option to pick the japanese voice-acting, which was reason enough for me to NOT buy it.
Music is great though.
Posted: 13 Nov 2006, 11:01
by EvaUnit02
Yup, the voice acting is utterly dreadful. The same dub cast from Shenmue 1 returned too.
Posted: 14 Nov 2006, 16:42
by slasher13
Hey Eva,
Yup got both Shenmue on dreamcast (UK Version of Shenmue 2 has japanese language, english subtitles), so prob won't get the eng dub version, however I actually did like it on Shenmue 1. Just been playing Ninja Gaiden Black and Tenchu, both offer dual language, so put on japanese with english subtitles.
Ninja Gaiden is excellent, just can't beat the 1st Boss with the nunchaku yet

, there must be a way....
Posted: 14 Nov 2006, 18:46
by Godzooki
slasher13 wrote:Hey Eva,
Yup got both Shenmue on dreamcast (UK Version of Shenmue 2 has japanese language, english subtitles), so prob won't get the eng dub version, however I actually did like it on Shenmue 1. Just been playing Ninja Gaiden Black and Tenchu, both offer dual language, so put on japanese with english subtitles.
Ninja Gaiden is excellent, just can't beat the 1st Boss with the nunchaku yet

, there must be a way....
NGB is hard as nails, i gave up attempting a boss much further on for 2 months before returning and kicking arse!!
Is your machine modded? I have a modded crystal xbrick with a ton of spare games if you want them? The games i mean, not the console.

Posted: 14 Nov 2006, 23:30
by IronMonkey
Tigercage wrote:NGB is hard as nails, i gave up attempting a boss much further on for 2 months before returning and kicking arse!!
Once you get into the combat system of the game, its more a question of timing, reflexes & tactics to beat it than it being a "hard" game.
Yes it probably is the hardest game I've ever played but I am getting much better at it.
My current Mission Mode status is 17 out of 50 complete on Master Ninja difficulty. Some of the missions look impossible, but they can all be done. The first time I fought Doku (Nightmarish Phantasms phase 3) on Normal difficulty I got my ass kicked in about 10 seconds & I thought I would never be able to defeat him. Now a couple of weeks later I have beaten him on Master Ninja mode, along with 16 other missions.
Its a great game, but you have to have patience & eventually your skill will build up & you'll be playing like the
real Master Ninjas out there.
If you want to see videos on absolutely
everything that the game has to offer, look no further than
www.iberiansngrealm.com. Its a fantastic site with a great forum community. I'm registered as NinjaMonkeyUK (my XBox Live Gamertag) over there.
Posted: 14 Nov 2006, 23:38
by IronMonkey
slasher13 wrote:Ninja Gaiden is excellent, just can't beat the 1st Boss with the nunchaku yet

, there must be a way....
Don't use nunchaku on him, its a weak weapon against this boss. I recommend you use the Dragon Sword. What you have to do is run up the walls, jump (A) and then press (Y) to stab your sword down on him.
If you do this right, you'll create some damage. If you keep doing this you will beat him but it can be a bit repetitive so I prefer to mix it up by attacking from the ground. If you watch him closely you will get to know his attack patterns & then you'll know when to block, when to roll out of the way & when to counter with your own combos.
The trick is NOT to button bash. Doing that sets off a combination which Murai will counter, in which case you will not be able to block because you'll still be doing a combo.
It is possible to beat Murai with the nunchaku (even on Master Ninja difficulty), but its not the easiest way...