Page 1 of 1

Does anyone know any good ant-spam software?

Posted: 27 Nov 2006, 20:59
by grim_tales
As per title.

My uncle wants some anti-spam software/spam blocker stuff for his PC for Xmas (?), I think he has Norton Internet Security (presumably the latest version) :)
Any good seperate anti-spam programs out there? I can't find a Norton one for some reason. :?

Posted: 27 Nov 2006, 21:39
by Keung
McAfee. End of. Hate Norton, fucked my last PC up somehow.

Posted: 27 Nov 2006, 21:39
by thelostdragon
Norton is shit.

There is wonderful freeware out there on the internet. Get that and buy your uncle a Nintendo Wii instead. :D

Good freeware I am using:

Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
Spybot - Search & Destroy (TeatTimer package)

Posted: 27 Nov 2006, 21:44
by grim_tales
I'm using Spybot Search and Destroy as well actually. :)

Posted: 28 Nov 2006, 01:02
by bradavon
I assume you mean free? - If so most like:

http://www.lavasoft.de/products/ad-awar ... rsonal.php

Personally I run ZoneAlarm Internet Security 2006 but most don't like to pay. I say it's a bargain and does it all in one package, so no need to run lots of separate ones.

Like many things it comes down to personal taste (the sort of discussion which ultimately has no right answer, only that they're all good really).

I no longer use it as I find it's too resource hungry but to say Norton Internet Security is shit when it's the world's number 1 doesn't ring true.

It does what it says it will well, but also takes over your machine to do it.
Keung wrote:McAfee. End of. Hate Norton, fucked my last PC up somehow.
In reviews McAfee and Norton both get very similar reviews. Both are roughly as resource hungry and very similar in fact.

Posted: 28 Nov 2006, 07:38
by EvaUnit02
Pay for ZoneAlarm? BWHAHAHAHA!

Posted: 28 Nov 2006, 09:22
by thelostdragon
bradavon wrote:...to say Norton Internet Security is shit when it's the world's number 1 doesn't ring true.
I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true from my own experience. During the time I had Norton I had to re-install my Windows XP every 3 weeks or so. So if that's not shit, I wonder what is.

Posted: 28 Nov 2006, 19:08
by bradavon
Clearly you had a dodgy something else. There's no way Norton (who're company btw) Internet Security would do that on it's own.
EvaUnit02 wrote:Pay for ZoneAlarm? BWHAHAHAHA!
Only one version is free and it's not the version I run. The Firewall (cut down) is free not the Suite. I pay less than £20 a year, not exactly a lot of money.

Posted: 28 Nov 2006, 19:34
by romerojpg
Esspecially if you get a free one, 20 quid down the drain.

Posted: 28 Nov 2006, 19:43
by bradavon
If you trust free programs then fine I don't, they cut stuff out of free software + I prefer an all-in-one package. No free software does that.

£20 a year is tuppance.

Posted: 29 Nov 2006, 00:30
by tom2681
Just buy the damn penis enlargement pills.
You won't receive any spam after that.

Now I have no anti-virus, no anti-spam software, no spam and a huge penis.

Posted: 29 Nov 2006, 00:36
by EvaUnit02
bradavon wrote:I pay less than £20 a year, not exactly a lot of money.
Now you're saying that £20 is not a lot of money? Odd, this is the same Brad that is reluctant over £10-12+ DVD purchases.

Posted: 29 Nov 2006, 10:04
by grim_tales
tom2681 wrote:Just buy the damn penis enlargement pills.
You won't receive any spam after that.

Now I have no anti-virus, no anti-spam software, no spam and a huge penis.
:D

Posted: 29 Nov 2006, 14:52
by gojensen
Not many plain email anti-spam softwares there was there?!

Personally I use pyzor2, dcc, razor and spamassassin in conjunction with a greylisting mail server. Bye bye spam.

AFAIK Ad-Aware, SpyBot and it's kin is mainly for ferreting out malware, and garbed autoinstalled without the users consent. I got the impression grim was asking for software to clean up his email...

Posted: 29 Nov 2006, 15:17
by grim_tales
Thats what I thought... but I'm sure he knows of stuff you can download for free.. :?

Posted: 29 Nov 2006, 19:09
by bradavon
gojensen wrote:Not many plain email anti-spam softwares there was there?
My Dad runs SpamFigter (despite ZoneAlarm IS also giving him this functionality which that part is disabled, silly man).

It seems decent enough but in honesty all it does is move e-mail out of his Inbox into another folder. Whoopy doo he still gets it.

I've told him the amount of spam e-mail he gets he should change his e-mail address but the fool won't. It takes all of 15-20 minutes to send a batch e-mail out telling people you've changed your e-mail address and to go to each site and change the e-mail address over.

He gets about 150-175 spam e-mails a day, all porn related. I'm sure he went to some dodgy site and entered his e-mail address at one time.
gojensen wrote:Personally I use pyzor2, dcc, razor and spamassassin in conjunction with a greylisting mail server. Bye bye spam.
It would be easier to just change your e-mail address. Personally I only get 3-5 spam e-mails a day so have no Spam filter, it all goes into my Inbox and I delete it manually.

What's a grey listing mail server? I know what a mail server is of course but not a grey one???

All the rest (+ a grey server of course) are server tools right?

gojensen wrote:AFAIK Ad-Aware, SpyBot and it's kin is mainly for ferreting out malware, and garbed autoinstalled without the users consent. I got the impression grim was asking for software to clean up his email...
LOL so he was :D

I thought he said AntiSpyware.

Posted: 29 Nov 2006, 19:11
by bradavon
EvaUnit02 wrote:Now you're saying that £20 is not a lot of money? Odd, this is the same Brad that is reluctant over £10-12+ DVD purchases.
Of course we all have our own levels of what we consider expensive vs. cheap depending on each item.

Grim: Does your uncle get a lot of spam? If so I say forget all these work-arounds and change e-mail address.

Posted: 30 Nov 2006, 10:24
by grim_tales
Not sure how much he gets, I was under the impression it was a lot. I'll talk to my unclie/aunt and see what they say.
Yeah, he wants to clean up his e-mail AFAIK. That's right.

Posted: 30 Nov 2006, 19:26
by bradavon
So far I'm the only one who has mentioned anything applicable then (Spamfighter, it's something like £10 for a 4 year licence).

I'm sure Gojensen's are server tools.

Posted: 30 Nov 2006, 20:52
by grim_tales
OK, thanks Brad :)