I failed a Java programming paper this past semester at university, I have the option of either resiting the Java paper or taking doing a paper on the Perl language.
My friend recommends that I just resit the Java paper, otherwise I'd have to learn an entirely new programming language.
How difficult is Perl to learn? Is it object-orientated like Java or procedural?
Many thanks in advance.
Taking a Java vs. a Perl programming paper - advice?
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
- Contact:
- IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
In my experience Java is a lot easier than Perl. I would also advise you resit the Java test instead of learning Perl, which is pretty much completely different. Just concentrate on Java.
I find that if I try to learn more than one language at once I tend to mix them up & it becomes a complete mess!
I find that if I try to learn more than one language at once I tend to mix them up & it becomes a complete mess!
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
-
Kurgan
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1740
- Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
- Location: Dewsbury, UK
Seconded. Regarding Perl's complexity, I have no idea, but if you've dealt with Java in the past, it's best to just brush up on your weaker areas, rather than learn a completely different language.
Last edited by Kurgan on 12 Dec 2006, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

-
slasher13
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1799
- Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15
- Contact:
Errr I really hate java, and I code in Perl for work... So Im going to say Perl 
The syntax of Perl is similar to Ansi C, so if you know C then def you may pick up perl quite quickly. I picked up perl quite quicky due to myself having a background in C, C++. If you are the same, then you would pick it up. However if you don't then try Java again. My wife codes in Java, and it is interesting, just never picked it up myself
Perl is OOP, have a look at the following link: http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/11/07/ooperl.html
The syntax of Perl is similar to Ansi C, so if you know C then def you may pick up perl quite quickly. I picked up perl quite quicky due to myself having a background in C, C++. If you are the same, then you would pick it up. However if you don't then try Java again. My wife codes in Java, and it is interesting, just never picked it up myself
Perl is OOP, have a look at the following link: http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/11/07/ooperl.html
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
- Contact:
-
slasher13
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1799
- Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15
- Contact: