Page 1 of 1
Taking a Java vs. a Perl programming paper - advice?
Posted: 12 Dec 2006, 09:47
by EvaUnit02
I failed a Java programming paper this past semester at university, I have the option of either resiting the Java paper or taking doing a paper on the Perl language.
My friend recommends that I just resit the Java paper, otherwise I'd have to learn an entirely new programming language.
How difficult is Perl to learn? Is it object-orientated like Java or procedural?
Many thanks in advance.
Posted: 12 Dec 2006, 10:18
by IronMonkey
In my experience Java is a lot easier than Perl. I would also advise you resit the Java test instead of learning Perl, which is pretty much completely different. Just concentrate on Java.
I find that if I try to learn more than one language at once I tend to mix them up & it becomes a complete mess!
Posted: 12 Dec 2006, 15:14
by Kurgan
Seconded. Regarding Perl's complexity, I have no idea, but if you've dealt with Java in the past, it's best to just brush up on your weaker areas, rather than learn a completely different language.
Posted: 12 Dec 2006, 16:12
by slasher13
Errr I really hate java, and I code in Perl for work... So Im going to say
Perl
The syntax of Perl is similar to Ansi C, so if you know C then def you may pick up perl quite quickly. I picked up perl quite quicky due to myself having a background in C, C++. If you are the same, then you would pick it up. However if you don't then try Java again. My wife codes in Java, and it is interesting, just never picked it up myself
Perl is OOP, have a look at the following link:
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/11/07/ooperl.html
Posted: 14 Dec 2006, 12:26
by EvaUnit02
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to resit the Java paper next semester.
Posted: 14 Dec 2006, 20:48
by slasher13
Good luck Eva

Hopefully you will do well in it