Stallone-Nighthawks

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Stallone-Nighthawks

Post by saltysam »

I was sure we'd had a thread/discussed this movie in the past but a search threw nothing up. anyway this excellent 80's Stallone thriller has been criminally abused on dvd, with both the usa and uk getting a cut tv version with 2 songs replaced during a pivotal scene. Anyway i picked up the new release thai dvd for a fiver hoping it'd be uncut,alas it isn't :? however interestingly when the thai soundtrack option is selected the original music ie Brown Sugar by the stones is back :) seems the only proper version of this is the oop cic vhs video.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I suspect it was me who started that old NIGHTHAWKS thread. :D

The current DVDs are all cut, but they're not TV versions (I don't know where that rumour came from- no TV version in the world would have Stallone yelling "motherfucker" numerous times, lol!). I haven't been able to confirm this, but I believe the MPAA are responsible for the violence cuts at the end.

...when Stallone shoots Hauer only twice instead of six times as in the original...

All DVDs use the same R-rated print from the US, whereas the UK cinema and pre-certs appeare to have been sourced from the X-rated version and escaped any BBFC/distributor censorship. Pretty much the same as Friday the 13th... except that one eventually turned up uncut in Asia and more recently in the UK.

The Goodtimes DVD is cut as per the R-rated print, but does contain the original soundtrack (Universal never paid for home video rights- and so this film and many others were altered for video (ie. The Thing)).

The second song changed - just after Brown Sugar - was by Keith Emerson (and he composed the score!) You can hear a snippet on the original trailer.
Last edited by Markgway on 03 Jan 2008, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Found this clip of the censored version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4VF5VKg3As
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Stallone-Nighthawks

Post by saltysam »

I know the uk pre-cert VHS had the original music... but did it have the longer Hauer death scene? 6 shots?
working class blu-ray fan