What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Rebel Moon - Part One: A Child of Fire - 2.5/5

It wasn't boring at least. The action choreography was decent at least. 14 year old boys will likely find this film awesome. Props to them at least casting mostly extremely pretty people, which hasn't been a Hollywood norm for a while now.

Nothing is original. About halfway through I realised that it was 7 Samurai. Obviously you've got your odds and ends from Star Wars. The Snyder edgelord twist on the cantina scene was to make the ugly dude who picks a fight with Obi-wan and Luke be a gay rapist. The grunt soldiers are visually a direct rip off of Imperial Guardsmen from Warhammer 40K.

Don't give any thought to analysing the world building because it falls apart instantly, unsurprisingly. Throughout they portray the "Motherworld" empire as being sadistic fascists, going back decades at least. Then they try to paint the slain royal family as being benevolent saints. They didn't all of sudden become fascist once the Palpatine copypasta seized power.

I will say that it's a noticeable improvement over the utterly woeful Army of the Dead, but that's not saying much.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Beverley Hills Cop II (USA, 1989) - first time view: 4/5

Whereas the first one felt more like a comedy with some action, this sequel is the other way round (imo). Murphy has some good lines especially when he makes up stories and fake names going undercover :D
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The Big Gundown (Italy/Spain, 1967): 4.25/5

Not sure what I expected but this was very good, no one was quite they seemed, the main theme is one of the most epic I ever heard (which I recognised from an old Hong Kong movie trailer), up there with TGTBATU. I watched the US expanded version BTW
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Insomnia (Norway, 1997) - Criterion BD: 4.25/5

Atmospheric mystery with good locations
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

John Rambo (Rambo IV Extended version) - first time view: 4/5

Was good but to be honest, I couldn't tell it was that much longer especially since almost 10 minutes of the movie are credits at the end. Think there was a bit more depth and motivation for Rambo's character?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 00:10 John Rambo (Rambo IV Extended version) - first time view: 4/5

Was good but to be honest, I couldn't tell it was that much longer especially since almost 10 minutes of the movie are credits at the end. Think there was a bit more depth and motivation for Rambo's character?
Toned down the violence from the original version
working class blu-ray fan
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I didn't know that, thank you :)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Léon (France, 1994): 4.5/5
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The Big Lebowski (USA, 1998): 4/5
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Dune Part 2 (2024) - 5/5
A triumph in both filmmaking and writing. Finally some good food from Hollywood. 

The writing was utterly fantastic.
Chani remaining the moral compass to the bitter end, fighting against the cult of personality, false prophet puppetry. Jessica and other Bene Gesserits manipulating the shit of everybody. Execution of even minor characters like the one played by Lea Seydoux was so good, a stone cold femme fatale wrapping even that highly intelligent and cunning younger Harkonnen nephew around her little finger.

The rest of modern Hollywood should take notes on how to write properly from this film. 

I hope we get to see future adaptations of later stories where the Atreides bloodline get redeemed. (I know that the sandworm god emperor guy maintains his sanity, but begrudgingly tolerates the cult worship of himself to maintain order and peace in the galaxy.)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Fight Club (USA, 1999): 4.5/5

Even though I knew the twist, my mind was still somewhat blown as I hadn't seen it in years and noticed extra little details - for example, near the very beginning of the film images of 'Tyler' flash on screen for a couple of seconds :eek: And there are parts where Ed Norton is wearing some of 'Tyler"'s clothes.
Ed shoots himself to get rid of Tyler, why did he not die?

This seemed too strong for a 15 for me especially some of the more vicious and sadistic beatings.