Page 1 of 1
Nero Lite / Nero Micro - Nero Burning ROM without the Bloat!
Posted: 28 Mar 2008, 00:32
by bradavon

Download:
Nero Lite |
Nero Micro

Link:
Home Page |
Official Forum
Nero 7 & Nero 8 have become Bloatware rising from 30Mb in Nero 6 to 175Mb for Nero 7 and 180Mb for Nero 8. There is next no reason they need to be this big. I personally only ever use Nero Burning Rom and occasionally Nero Cover Designer from the Nero Suite.
You can use your existing license code with these installers:
The Nero Lite pack contains (English Only 43Mb):
* Nero Burning Rom (with VideoCD Support and MauSau Audio Plug-ins)
* Nero Express
* Nero Cover Designer
* Nero Wave Editor
* Nero Toolkit
The Micro version only contains (English Only 20Mb):
* Nero Burning ROM (with VideoCD Support and MauSau Audio Plug-ins)
* Nero Express
Mirrors:
http://rapidshare.com/files/102563136/n ... _micro.exe
http://rapidshare.com/files/102563602/n ... _micro.exe
http://rapidshare.com/files/102562485/n ... _micro.exe
http://rapidshare.com/files/102568134/n ... h_lite.exe
http://rapidshare.com/files/102568066/n ... n_lite.exe
http://rapidshare.com/files/102565298/n ... e_lite.exe
Posted: 30 Mar 2008, 19:40
by jimmyscab
Thats really cool. They should have put ImageDrive and DriveSpeed in there as well, they are not that big im sure.
Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 02:29
by EvaUnit02
ImageDrive is garbage. Anyone worth their salt knows that DaemonTools is the be all, end all when it comes to disc image virtual drive mounting programs.
Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 03:02
by romerojpg
Nero on my pc is about 800MB haha
Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 09:17
by EvaUnit02
romerojpg wrote:Nero on my pc is about 800MB haha
Why laugh then? The yoke is on your face.
Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 09:55
by bradavon
Are you sure?
I don't even think the full 180Mb install is 800Mb. You may think "who cares it's only disk space" but the more programs you install also have affect on the registry size and Windows System folders. All helping to slow the PC down.
jimmyscab wrote:They should have put ImageDrive and DriveSpeed in there as well, they are not that big im sure.
Personally I've never used them. I wonder if you could install Lite/Micro then copy them over from the previous install (backing them up first of course).
I bet that could work. Start by copying just the EXEs back in. I'm sure DriveSpeed is part of the Nero Toolkit, so is part of Lite. I'm not sure about ImageDrive though.
Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 11:44
by tom2681
I hate Nero, but will give Nero Micro a go.
Thanks for the links, Brad.
Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 11:52
by bradavon
No worries. Why do you hate Nero? FYI the European download includes French.
I've noticed Nero 8 is a wee bit slower to open than Nero 7. If that bothers you I'd imagine Nero 7 Lite/Micro is still available to download from the Home Page. I've always been a fan of Nero but was really pissed off when v7 jumped from 30Mb to 175Mb. I was chuffed when I spotted Nero Lite/Micro over at the Neowin forum.
I didn't bother with the MauSau Audio Plugin. I cannot see myself ever needing it.
Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 12:13
by Yi-Long
bradavon wrote:No worries. Why do you hate Nero? FYI the European download includes French.
Yeah, cause Tom obviously has huge problems with the english language, as is evident from his posting on this board(!)

Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 13:25
by EvaUnit02
The primary Nero development HQ has always been located in Germany.
Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 13:35
by tom2681
Yes, me no speak english.
That is why me no like Nero.
Nah, I don't like it because it's too bloated.
If Nero Lite is indeed light, then maybe it's worth a try.
Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 13:37
by bradavon
Nero Lite is. I've not tried Nero Micro but I imagine that's fine too.
Nero 6 and below weren't bloatware. It became bloated with v7 and now v8.
Posted: 01 Apr 2008, 07:45
by Lourdes
Nero has always been bloated if you don't do a custom install, if you do then 8 is no more bloated than 6.
No need for Nero anyway, although I like Nero Wave Editor.
Burrrn (Audio w/o cuesheets)
EAC (Audio w/cuesheets)
ImgBurn (Everything else)
Posted: 01 Apr 2008, 11:39
by bradavon
Lourdes wrote:Nero has always been bloated if you don't do a custom install, if you do then 8 is no more bloated than 6.
I always do custom installs on 100% of things I install. Only fools click "Defaults".
There is still the wasted disk space to consider storing the 175Mb Nero 7/8.
Lourdes wrote:No need for Nero anyway, although I like Nero Wave Editor.
Personally I think it's the best. I don't like having to use multiple installed programs if I can help it. I've never really used Wave Editor, preferring GoldWave. It's no professional package but does the job.
I'd never use Nero to rip CDs. Something else is better for that, although I didn't like EAC.
Nero is perfectly fine for creating Audio CDs though. It reads MP3 files and converts them on the fly (I only ever use MP3 or sometimes WMA). I've never had a need for Cuesheets, songs tend to be split anyway.
Posted: 02 Apr 2008, 02:50
by Lourdes
It's not the best, it produces horrible quality burns. And you don't like EAC for ripping? Well that's the best tool for the job...
Posted: 02 Apr 2008, 11:54
by bradavon
How do you meant bad quality burns? In what way?
I've heard EAC is the best. I just didn't like the GUI and am no Audiophile.
I use Audiograbber. I'm sure it's not Audiophile safe but does the job for me. It was discontinued sometime ago and as such it likes to read it's INI files from the Program Files folder, meaning under Vista I have to Run it as Admin. Which I don't mind doing.
Posted: 01 Oct 2008, 13:41
by bradavon
Nero 9 has been released. It's now grown to a whopping 370Mb!
Nero Lite/Micro 8.3.6.0 (the latest v8 build) is also up at:
http://updatepack.nl/downloads/nero-lite/nero-8-lite/
I imagine custom Nero 9 Builds will come soon. Nero 8.3.2.1 works fine. I cannot be bothered to upgrade for just 8.3.6.0.
Posted: 30 Nov 2008, 18:06
by jimmyscab
Is this a full version or demo?
Can I burn DVD movies from VOB files (VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders)?
Posted: 30 Nov 2008, 21:42
by bradavon
It's full if you have a license code, demo otherwise. It's the same as the official installer just without all the bloat.
Which I cannot work out why it needs to be so big when what these Lite/Micro ones install, look identical to me.
Yes if they're not encrypted. Nero won't remove region coding or encryption. It's good when other software has removed that though. It can be used in conjunction with AnyDVD (this runs in the System Tray), which will make Nero think it's unencrypted/no regional coding.
Nero Burning Rom however won't compress DVDs down from DVD9 to DVD5, that's not it's job. Nero make Nero Recode for this but I prefer DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter and CloneDVD.
If you just want to copy DVDs use DVD Shrink and maybe use it with AnyDVD if the encryption is too strong for DVD Shrink. DVD Shrink can remove some forms of encryption but as it's not been updated in a while it cannot combat against the latest types of encryption.
I hope that helps. Start off with DVD Shrink and see how you get on.