Page 1 of 1

Blu-Ray discs with ICT enabled ?

Posted: 06 Feb 2009, 20:11
by tom2681
Note:
ICT = Image Constraint Token.
It's something that prevents HD videos from being sent at a higher resolution than 576p through analog cables (like component / YUV).

Hey guys,

Tried to watch my french BD copy of The Host just a few hours ago.
Imagine my surprise when I found out that the picture was as soft as a DVD because the ICT was on.

I may have been living under a rock for the past few months, but I thought ICT wasn't supposed to kick in before something like 2010.
As anyone heard of other ICT-enabled BDs?

I'm sick of all this copy-protection bullshit.

Posted: 07 Feb 2009, 12:14
by bradavon
Hey Tom.

Why are you using Component? That is annoying.

Posted: 07 Feb 2009, 12:47
by EvaUnit02
So they finally activated that token bullshit? Fucking HDCP. Switch to HDMI leads for video (possibly toslink for audio, if your receiver doesn't support HDMI) if you haven't already.

Posted: 07 Feb 2009, 13:06
by saltysam
this was on the german HD DVD's of Resident Evil 1 & 2 that i bought.

Posted: 07 Feb 2009, 15:01
by tom2681
@Brad:
There's only one HDMI input on my videoprojector and it's being used by my Oppo DVD player.
That's why I was stuck with component.

Now I have to buy one of those HDMI 2->1 switch things and two more HDMI cables (1 to go from the BD player to the switch thing, and another from the switch to the projector).

I didn't think that The Host would cost me this much. :shock:

@Salty:
Thanks for the info.

Posted: 07 Feb 2009, 15:30
by gasteropod
Surely HDMI is more important for Blu-ray than your DVD player :?

Posted: 07 Feb 2009, 18:09
by bradavon
gasteropod wrote:Surely HDMI is more important for Blu-ray than your DVD player :?
I was thinking the same. Does the Oppo allow upscaling through Component? If so, problem fixed.

Posted: 07 Feb 2009, 21:43
by tom2681
Brad wrote:Does the Oppo allow upscaling through Component?
Not the model I've got.

In the end I've gone with the 2->1 HDMI switch idea.
Bit expensive but works like a charm. And I can confirm that a Blu-Ray transfer in 1080i HDMI looks better than in 1080i YUV (on my setup anyway).
Less grain & more fine detail.