Who're the best American online retailers?

Sell Your Stuff, and What's on Sale
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Who're the best American online retailers?

Post by romerojpg »

I guess its like us and Scotland, thay aint part of us up the top of the country :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:
I'll keep that in mind though. I had no idea and I'd wage 99% of their customers don't either.
No offence Brad but for even a casual user of forums similar to this it's been common knowledge for a couple of years that Playusa supply Canadian releases. i'm sure Romero will confirm that. Did it not register that canadian exclusives like the Blade movies,The Others etc were on there and not at the likes of Amazon.com... :cool:
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:Did it not register that canadian exclusives like the Blade movies,The Others etc were on there and not at the likes of Amazon.com... :cool:
Except Blade 2 Canadian Blu-ray is on Amazon.com :D.
saltysam wrote:No offence Brad but for even a casual user of forums similar to this it's been common knowledge for a couple of years that Playusa supply Canadian releases.
If only we were all as clever as you :roll: .
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:
saltysam wrote:Did it not register that canadian exclusives like the Blade movies,The Others etc were on there and not at the likes of Amazon.com... :cool:
Except Blade 2 Canadian Blu-ray is on Amazon.com :D..
so it is...specs ".Format: AC-3, Color, DTS Surround Sound, Dubbed, Import, Widescreen" Product description "
Import Blu-Ray/Region A pressing"
saltysam wrote:No offence Brad but for even a casual user of forums similar to this it's been common knowledge for a couple of years that Playusa supply Canadian releases.
bradavon wrote:If only we were all as clever as you :roll: .
There's nothing clever about being aware that when you buy discs from a canadian based retailer there's a fair chance you'll receive canadian sourced discs.But your spectacular powers of supreme idiocy never ceases to amaze me.I salute you :clap:
Last edited by saltysam on 09 Jul 2010, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

gasteropod wrote:So what about the Canadian Blu-rays with 1080i.
can you tell the difference between a 1080i & p transfer? i'm yet to hear of anyone who can during normal viewing.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:so it is...specs ".Format: AC-3, Color, DTS Surround Sound, Dubbed, Import, Widescreen" Product description ". Import Blu-Ray/Region A pressing"
My point was that American websites also sell Canadian Blu-rays!
saltysam wrote:But your spectacular powers of supreme idiocy never ceases to amaze me.I salute you :clap:
As I already said. The site is called PlayUSA not PlayCanada and nothing at all tells you it's a Canadian website, other than the contact details. Which in itself isn't sufficient to tell you they sell Canadian discs. Nor have you mentioned it before. How exactly was I supposed to know again?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

why did you think they supplied covers with french text then? this thread was a couple of posts long before talk turned into play and their canadian stock!!
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

saltysam wrote:can you tell the difference between a 1080i & p transfer? i'm yet to hear of anyone who can during normal viewing.
Not the point in my opinion, I expect 1080p like everyone else does, why would I import one without it?

bradavon wrote:How exactly was I supposed to know again?
Because on the site it says
If a title is out of stock it can take aboot 4 to 21 days for dispatch.
:lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod wrote:Because on the site it says
If a title is out of stock it can take aboot 4 to 21 days for dispatch.
:lol:
How on earth does that prove they're Canadian? :?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Oh dear.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Oh. Got it :D.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:You'd make a good point except for the fact the canadian Elm St disc was released in Sept 2008 and the USA one in April 2010....so how could the Alliance disc be a port of a usa release that didn't exist :lol:
Erm... THAT was my point. :lol:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Markgway wrote:
saltysam wrote:You'd make a good point except for the fact the canadian Elm St disc was released in Sept 2008 and the USA one in April 2010....so how could the Alliance disc be a port of a usa release that didn't exist :lol:
Erm... THAT was my point. :lol:
eh...you said people were "saddled" with a Canadian disc inferior to it's USA release.Your point would be valid if it'd been released in the usa at the same time. it's a totally separate release. As it was the only blu-ray release available at the time i'm not sure what point you are trying to make.using your logic we'd best never buy anything then because a better release will always surface in the future. i've had From Dusk Till Dawn canadian for 2 years.when it surfaces in the usa with extras have i been shafted?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

gasteropod wrote:
Not the point in my opinion, I expect 1080p like everyone else does, why would I import one without it?

:
Like i thought ,you are just being anal. you,like me wouldn't know you were watching a 1080i transfer if it jumped up and bit you on the ass.Anyway provide me with a day & date release that was 1080i in Canada and 1080p in the usa.Now incorrect aspect ratios,i'm with you there.... :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:eh...you said people were "saddled" with a Canadian disc inferior to it's USA release.Your point would be valid if it'd been released in the usa at the same time. it's a totally separate release. As it was the only blu-ray release available at the time i'm not sure what point you are trying to make.using your logic we'd best never buy anything then because a better release will always surface in the future. i've had From Dusk Till Dawn canadian for 2 years.when it surfaces in the usa with extras have i been shafted?
It's still being shafted. Anyone who bought the Alliance Elm St. BD got an inferior disc to those who waited for the Warner product. You shouldn't have to buy them twice given that Alliance sublet the materials and even used the same artwork. I take your point about From Dusk though...
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

saltysam wrote:i've had From Dusk Till Dawn canadian for 2 years.when it surfaces in the usa with extras have i been shafted?
How many times have you watched it :D still I hold out for an upgrade over the Canadian disc, better picture and loads of extras (well I can hope). Still I wish I had just got the Canadian disc when it first came out :lol:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Markgway wrote:
. even used the same artwork..
are you sure? here's the original canadian release that i owned

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and the recent usa one

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

maybe it's been re-released in Canada with the new cover and that's what you are referring to?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Turns out Elm St was released twice in Canada.

Once by Alliance (your version) and then reissued by New Line (USA port).

I mistook the new cover art for the old. My bad.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

So it looks like the best of the bunch are, in no particular order:

http://www.amazon.com
http://dvdpacific.directtoustore.com
http://www.playusa.com
http://www.wherehouse.com
http://www.secondspin.com

Pricey but worth mentioning:

http://www.axelmusic.com
http://www.movietyme.com

Has anyone used DVD Pacific since their site re-design? They look really dodgy to me now. I'm wondering if they're trustworthy.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Stopped using pacific. Their "we'll be back in 48 hours" was there for more than 3 weeks... if they cared one bit for their customers they'd at least keep us informed. And I remember some people reporting problems with the new site, but I can't remember what.

Using cduniverse now.

I've used deepdiscount in the past as well, but not recently.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I'd forgotten about CD Universe, I've used them a bit too. They're generally quite pricey though. I've not see Deep Discount for ages. They used to have really good sales. Do they still?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Having used importcds a bit over the last couple of months i'd pretty much recommend them but with a couple of caveats-their postage is a little steep,they aren't customs-friendly and orders take 10-14 days to arrive. In their favour-they are by far the cheapest for pre-orders,even with shipping and they ship early.If you keep orders under the £15 limit then job's a good-un. I've had a shippnig notice today for Cyborg/Double Impact, less than £18 delivered for the two :thumbs:
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

saltysam wrote:Having used importcds a bit over the last couple of months i'd pretty much recommend them but with a couple of caveats-their postage is a little steep,they aren't customs-friendly and orders take 10-14 days to arrive. In their favour-they are by far the cheapest for pre-orders,even with shipping and they ship early.If you keep orders under the £15 limit then job's a good-un. I've had a shippnig notice today for Cyborg/Double Impact, less than £18 delivered for the two :thumbs:
I've been using them for years, unfortunately I've been waiting for two Blu-rays from them for almost 4 weeks now though :( probably not their fault though.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Anyone used DVD Pacific recently? The dumbass I was, I missed amazon's discount for Zatoichi BD set... it was $157 last week, $202 now. Pacific is the only one that offers comparable price...
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

HungFist wrote: it was $157 last week, $202 now. Pacific is the only one that offers comparable price...
http://www.importcds.com/movies/2649548 ... -swordsman can only actually order it a month before release though