The Clones of Bruce Lee (1980)

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Director: Joseph Kong Hung
Cast: Dragon Lee, Bruce Le, Chang Yi-Tao (as Bruce Lai), Jon Benn, Bolo Yeung Sze, Chiang Tao, Cheng Kei-Ying, Bruce Thai

This potentially hilarious flick wastes no time getting down to business, with 3 clones (Dragon Lee, Bruce Le, and Bruce Lai [Korean actor Chang Yi-Tao, who looks in no way like the original]), and a rouge's gallery of Bolo, Chiang Tao, Jon Benn, etc...

Sadly, this peaks halfway through with Dragon Lee's mission, and the following excursion for Le and Lai (plus Bruce Thai, who is a better clone then Lai but is not, in fact, a clone) in Thailand feels dreary, despite sexy dames and not-so sexy Bronzemen.

The fighting is part of the problem. It's very "shapes", which feels out of place in the modern day setting and far too old fashioned and over rehearsed. Very little attempt is made to copy the Bruce Lee style of fighting, and Dragon Lee (a good fighter in his own right) looks silly trying to do Mantis fist when you know his feet can do serious damage.

The end fight is potentially good, and Dragon Lee vs. Bolo is a suitably cool end fight (anything that vaguely resembles Bruce Lee vs. Bolo is welcome in my book). Sadly, we get a very anemic end fight between Bruce Le and the previously unseen Cheng Kei-Ying, who looks like a teenage boy with a bad case of the mumps and awful sideburns.

Despite my gripes, this is worth watching...your life won't be complete until you do!

4/10
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.