Akira 4K is garbage

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Akira 4K is garbage

Post by EvaUnit02 »

UK 4K disc has no HDR, utter trash. The US and Aus releases are almost certainly going to be identical, seeing as Manga UK, Funimation and Madman are all owned by Sony.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... count=1185
(Jpn 4K has HDR, but the master is still heavily DNR'd.)

Combined with heavy DNR'd master, this is a huge skip. Get one of the older 1080p BDs. (Eg 25th Anniversary Edition from 2013.)
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Akira 4K is garbage

Post by HungFist »

The new 4K DCP has been playing in theatres worldwide this year. I skipped it because I've seen the film three times in 35mm in the past 6 years. No point in seeing a DNR'd DCP after that...

Still cool that Akira went to mainstream theatrical distribution in 2020. With Corona cancelling all big releases, it actually ranked no. 3 at the box office in Finland in August! Not that it had much competition, but still...
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

And the price they're asking for it, for what you get, is absolutely disgusting. No other word for it, but Anime fans have proven to be strong in the "more money than sense" fanbase contingency. It's how Anime Limited have managed to build such a large catalogue of "Collector's Edition" releases that offer you some pointless thirty six page artbook for £40 over the asking price of the actual show or film they're linking it to.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

The good news is that Funimation is doing a replacement programme for their US and UK customers.
https://www.funimation.com/blog/2020/12 ... d-edition/
The highly anticipated AKIRA 4K, featuring the film in 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray and SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) is out now, and we know some of you want to experience the film in the highest-quality format possible.
Beginning in February 2021, an HDR (High Dynamic Range) version of the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray of AKIRA will be available. Funimation is committed to making sure that this historic film matches the artistry in which Otomo-san intended, as well as in the format you want to enjoy it in.
We know this might cause some headaches, but bear with us as we make sure you get the latest version of the release at no additional cost.
For those of you who would like to request the 4K HDR version of AKIRA, please send an email to akira4kreplacement@funimation.com (US/CA) or akira4kreplacementUK@funimation.com (UK/IRE) with “AKIRA 4K” as the subject, and provide your name, mailing address, email address and proof of purchase (receipt or confirmation email and photo of the disc).
If you’re unable to provide a receipt or confirmation email as proof of purchase, you will be requested to send your current disc to Funimation. So fret not if you get the AKIRA 4K Limited Edition for Christmas, you can still upgrade your disc!
From there, you’ll receive a return authorization number, and an address to mail your disc if needed.
On our end, we’ll make sure the 4K UHD discs are ready to be shipped by February 2021, and we can’t wait for you to continue to experience AKIRA on the biggest screen you can find!
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Shingster wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 02:39 And the price they're asking for it, for what you get, is absolutely disgusting. No other word for it, but Anime fans have proven to be strong in the "more money than sense" fanbase contingency. It's how Anime Limited have managed to build such a large catalogue of "Collector's Edition" releases that offer you some pointless thirty six page artbook for £40 over the asking price of the actual show or film they're linking it to.
I'm "part of the problem" then, LOL. I'm double-dipping on Anime Ltd's 4K release of Millennium Actress, which is also SDR only.
https://www.alltheanime.com/products/mi ... rs-edition
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I hope you snagged it in the 12 days sale for around £35 (I think it was?) as that £50 price tag for a 4K UHD/BD combo with just a 44pg booklet and A3 poster is absolutely friggin' insane!
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Shingster wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 06:05 I hope you snagged it in the 12 days sale for around £35 (I think it was?) as that £50 price tag for a 4K UHD/BD combo with just a 44pg booklet and A3 poster is absolutely friggin' insane!
Yeah I did, for 25 GBP. Not bad all around.

When they announced the UHD disc I had just gotten the US BD release of Millennium Actress by Shout Factory/GKIDS a few 2 or 3 months earlier, so I was kinda bummed. I'm a Satoshi Kon fan so I couldn't say no. I'll gift the US release to someone else.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

£25 for a UHD isn't too bad I guess, shame it's not a great restoration.
crumby
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by crumby »

I think i remember they were proud of keeping the raw aspect of the 35mm for the old blu ray presentation.
(Though personally i think that they could have cleaned it a little bit more.)

Well...

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=35 ... 1&i=1&go=1

Maybe thats just me but i have not been happy with uhd GITS too. I dont know if it is considered high DNR, but enough for me to be bothered with it and feel it is off, like some edge smoothing. Not something i want to watch.

I watched some old Disney recently. I dont know if it was a fluke, but they definitively knew what they were doing with the 4k transfert