Let's Discuss HD Combo Players!
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Yes and No. To put it in context:
* ALL BD Players are having problems (aside of the PS3, which I'd never).
* The list totals 18 titles and only 5 seem to cause problems for more than 1 user, then of those 5 only 2 are titles which will not play period (Pan's Labyrinth HD-DVD and the Pixar Shorts), most are of minor navigational issues. As many people can get Die Hard 4 to work perfectly as cannot.
* That's not many compared with how many discs are out there.
* The Samsung Combo has only had a VERY limited release as yet, even in America. It's official launch still hasn't happened.
* It's expected European models will be getting newer firmware.
It's not ideal but not "quite" as bad as it seems when you consider the above facts.
Over at AVS a poll is running asking how many people are keeping their Players. 76 are keeping it, 19 are returning it and 35 aren't sure. Personally I also weigh into this the "geek" factor. People are moaning about some geek audio thing called Motor Boarding. Here's the poll:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=962140
p.s - You also have to remember it's not as if anyone else is running a in-depth thread on Bullets about any other BD Players to compare it to.
* ALL BD Players are having problems (aside of the PS3, which I'd never).
* The list totals 18 titles and only 5 seem to cause problems for more than 1 user, then of those 5 only 2 are titles which will not play period (Pan's Labyrinth HD-DVD and the Pixar Shorts), most are of minor navigational issues. As many people can get Die Hard 4 to work perfectly as cannot.
* That's not many compared with how many discs are out there.
* The Samsung Combo has only had a VERY limited release as yet, even in America. It's official launch still hasn't happened.
* It's expected European models will be getting newer firmware.
It's not ideal but not "quite" as bad as it seems when you consider the above facts.
Over at AVS a poll is running asking how many people are keeping their Players. 76 are keeping it, 19 are returning it and 35 aren't sure. Personally I also weigh into this the "geek" factor. People are moaning about some geek audio thing called Motor Boarding. Here's the poll:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=962140
p.s - You also have to remember it's not as if anyone else is running a in-depth thread on Bullets about any other BD Players to compare it to.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27
so out of 130 people who voted 54 aren't happy
Superb machine,i'll buy 2
it's absolutely incredible to me that a fucking games console which plays blu-ray movies as an afterthought is more robust,reliable than standalone player.this combo does play profile 1.1 without any firmware update doesn't it?
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
It is an AV Forum so they're bound to be ultra picky. Things like motorboarding I doubt I'd remotely notice. But point taken. It's not like I can buy one to find outsaltysam wrote:so out of 130 people who voted 54 aren't happySuperb machine,i'll buy 2
![]()
I doubt it was an afterthought. It does make sense when the PS3 has much better hardware to all BD Players.saltysam wrote:it's absolutely incredible to me that a fucking games console which plays blu-ray movies as an afterthought is more robust.
Nosaltysam wrote:reliable than standalone player.this combo does play profile 1.1 without any firmware update doesn't it?
Profile 1.1 hardware is onboard (as is DTS-HD) but a Firmware upgrade needs to come. LG and Samsung have both confirmed several times it's coming early this year. Samsung are being tight lipped about European launch but it's looking likely it will be Feb-March. Which is roughly what they always said.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27
That's true but still it's not great is it,54 people less than pleased.bradavon wrote:
It is an AV Forum so they're bound to be ultra picky.
a £300 console has better hardware than a $1000 (at launch) Standalone? something's not right.bradavon wrote: I doubt it was an afterthought. It does make sense when the PS3 has much better hardware to all BD Players.
it shouldn't need a firmware update.this machine's been coming for ages,it should come with 1.1 fully working.bradavon wrote:Profile 1.1 hardware is onboard (as is DTS-HD) but a Firmware upgrade needs to come.
the european launch is of no interest to you though is itbradavon wrote:Samsung are being tight lipped about European launch
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
True. As per cost you need to remember it's two players in one. A PS3 and HD-DVD Player costs about the same.a £300 console has better hardware than a $1000 (at launch) Standalone? something's not right.
You'll get no complaints from me. I'm more pissed about the lack of TrueHD 5.1 support though.it shouldn't need a firmware update.this machine's been coming for ages,it should come with 1.1 fully working.
Samsung have said Profile 1.1, DTS-HD and TrueHD 5.1 will be added with firmware later. I'm confident this player will be solid a wee bit later down the line. I believe that's what happened with Samsung's prior BD Player.
It interests me as far as the player being released properly and more need for better firmware but no I won't be buying one.the european launch is of no interest to you though is it.
FYI the LG BH200 seems to have no problems playing discs back BUT so few have actually bought one I don't consider it reliable info. It was supposed to support 24fps but despite the BH100 supporting it it's mysteriously been dropped. Nothing official except it doesn't work and nothing is no date on when it will.
I'm discounting the BH200 though as they stupidly dropped Analogue outputs.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27
just as well i don't buy games then. my son does for his uk machine.gasteropod wrote:Blu-ray definitely wasn't an afterthought with the PS3. The reason it is so cheap, is because they get their money back through the games you purchase for it. Sony make a loss with every PS3 and PSP they sell, did you know that? It's why games are so expensive, it's how they make their profits!
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
That's roughly how much Amazon, DABS and the like are charging to pre-order the Sammysaltysam wrote:i was referring to standalones when they first come out.but to be pedantic i could get a usa ps3 for about £270 from VGPlus and a Toshiba with free discs for about £180=£450
Not that you can remotely bloody get one though of course
- IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
Build a HTPC! Its the best way to go - I know I've had a bit of a hiccup getting mine working but now that it does I'd never go back to a standalone player. My HTPC does BD / HD DVD / DVD (all multi-region), browses the Internet, can record 2 Freeview channels at the same time (while I watch 1 on my TV), upscales DVDs, could play games if I wanted it to, is easily upgradable, etc. The list goes on & on.
I'm pretty sure I won't have any problems with upcoming BD specifications or BD discs not playing either - firmware & software updates are really easy. Its definitely the best way to go, & much cheaper than separate units...
I'm pretty sure I won't have any problems with upcoming BD specifications or BD discs not playing either - firmware & software updates are really easy. Its definitely the best way to go, & much cheaper than separate units...
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Me tooMarkgway wrote:The PS3 almost makes me wish I liked playing videogames.
You forget Sony sell all PS3's at a loss because they make it up on the ridiculously expensive games. Would you spend £40 for a movie? Nope, never.Markgway wrote:If I'm gonna buy a standalone it has to be at least as good as the PS3 and at least as cheap (preferably cheaper, even).
Selling HD Players at a loss will never happen.
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Is it Profile 1.1? What about firmware for DTS-HD? How does it handle Fox BDs?
I've though about doing that but there are so many HD-DVDs already out there. It will take months and months to re-release them, I already own a few and there is nothing on Universal dropping HD-DVD.saltysam wrote:HD-DVD is now on borrowed time, if i were you Brad i'd seriously consider hanging on until a reliable blu-ray standalone come to market !
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
@Salty & Brad:
The Panny BD30 is $440 at Amazon.com
It is 1.1 and decodes DTS-HD MA.
From what I've heard, it's supposed to be the most reliable Blu-ray player released so far.
The Panny BD30 is $440 at Amazon.com
It is 1.1 and decodes DTS-HD MA.
From what I've heard, it's supposed to be the most reliable Blu-ray player released so far.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
To be fair, there are some good HD-DVD exclusive titles out there.
Serenity, Waterworld, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Grand Prix, Children of Men...
Serenity, Waterworld, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Grand Prix, Children of Men...
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
DTS-HD MA WOW! It even has Analogue outputs too (a must for me):tom2681 wrote:The Panny BD30 is $440 at Amazon.com
It is 1.1 and decodes DTS-HD MA.
http://www.big-screen.de/deutsch/image/ ... _bd30k.jpg
I still think I'll go Combo but the odds are stacked in BDs favour so much now it is a hard one. It's good in a way I cannot buy a Samsung Combo has it gives me time to think about it.saltysam wrote:@ Brad eventually everything on hd-dvd will appear on BD.i'm sure there is nothing out on hd-dvd that you must have right now
I am fed up of waiting though and HD-DVD will be with us at least for another year. We know this as Paramount's contract has 12 months left on it.
As to must have titles:
* Batman Begins - Close to a must have. No doubt Warner will now release this on BD though.
* Dreamgirls - Full-rate DD Plus on HD-DVD, although I could live with the half-rate found on BD.
* A Mighty Heart - Outstanding film but one I could wait for.
* Brokeback Mountain - Not a must have but excellent. There's no way I'm going anywhere near the UK RB EIV disc.
* Mulholland Drive - Also outstanding.
* Terminator 2 - German or UK HD-DVDs. Now this is a must have!
I do have other HD-DVDs I'd like too. Waterworld, Children of Men and Brothehood of the Wolf are nowhere near my must haves. I've not seen the other two.
Hold up I thought you disliked Children of Men Tom? I remember you're agreeing with me about it.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
@Brad:
You're right, I don't like Children of Men.
I will admit it's a good film, though.
Personal taste and actual quality are two different things.
That's why I'm not afraid to say I like bad films.
You're right, I don't like Children of Men.
I will admit it's a good film, though.
Personal taste and actual quality are two different things.
That's why I'm not afraid to say I like bad films.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
I think I understand what you mean and kind of agree with you. I still thought it overall failed though.tom2681 wrote:@Brad:
You're right, I don't like Children of Men.
I will admit it's a good film, though.
I thought that's why they delayed Terminator 3 only to not bother with Profile 1.1 and encode a second HD transfer.gasteropod wrote:Always was coming to Blu-ray, they were waiting for the BD Java to be sorted or something. I can't wait for this one in HD
I'm pretty sure there are Warner HD-DVDs out there with PIP but the BD doesn't.
