Need a new television
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
Need a new television
Well my Samsung was taken away for repair and the other day i received a replacement voucher so clearly it was knackered. i am in a pretty shitty position with this voucher. when i bought my tv from currys digital for a grand 18 months ago i took their coverplan extended warranty out. never really took much notice of it. anyway the small print reads they only issue a voucher equivalent to what the tv can be bought for now,which they reckon t is £699. i also got £82 rebate voucher for the coverplan which i can only use towards another coverplan.
my dillema is the voucher can only be redeemed in-store not online. and currys prices are crap,there are tv's there costing hundreds of pounds more than the dixons website,which is part of the same group. i want to get a better tv,upgrade to a full hd one but i fucking begrudge giving hundreds of pounds to currys.i was looking at a 46 samsung,£1119 on dixons, £1499 instore at currys
looks like the only one i may be able to afford is a sharp, i'm sure someone here said sharp were crap though. anyone had any experience of sharp LCD tellies? i think all LCD tv's have their own little quirks.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Can you not buy it in store but get them to price match against the website?
I'm surprised they couldn't fix it. It must've been extreme. What size is the TV? Can you buy the same spec. TV instore? If not then I'd complain about that price.
I thought you didn't want FULL HD? Check out this thread on FULL HD vs. HD Ready TVs from IM:
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... c&start=27
I'm surprised they couldn't fix it. It must've been extreme. What size is the TV? Can you buy the same spec. TV instore? If not then I'd complain about that price.
I thought you didn't want FULL HD? Check out this thread on FULL HD vs. HD Ready TVs from IM:
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... c&start=27
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Nothing wrong with Samsung, all companies make the odd screen that does not last, there is no company in the world that has a perfect record. Its all down to luck.
Best place for ANY screen is John Lewis, they price matched for a month after I bought mine and knocked another £300 off when I found it in a store online down in London (the other end of the country) you can easy find any reductin online and then ask em for the difference back. Curries, Dixons etc.. are shit dont go near them, John Lewis are the priece match kings.
Look for the variosu threads on them at AVFORUMS as many of them guys tell when the price has been reduced and then you get more cash back.
and you get 5 YEARS cover
Best place for ANY screen is John Lewis, they price matched for a month after I bought mine and knocked another £300 off when I found it in a store online down in London (the other end of the country) you can easy find any reductin online and then ask em for the difference back. Curries, Dixons etc.. are shit dont go near them, John Lewis are the priece match kings.
Look for the variosu threads on them at AVFORUMS as many of them guys tell when the price has been reduced and then you get more cash back.
and you get 5 YEARS cover
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Have you read IM's comments? As I watch SD mostly it's more important to me but as you have Sky HD maybe you'll be okay with FULL HD. I will be interested to hear if you can see any difference.saltysam wrote:i very much doubt i'll see the difference with FULL HD.but i may as well get one as up to date as possible.
That's bollocks. It's well known they're owned by literally the same people. It's not like Warner and New Line for instance.saltysam wrote:Curry's won't pricematch dixons website,they claim to be a different firm although they are clearly the same.
That's pretty neat. I cannot say I've ever been blown away by their prices and fake warranty (we'll charge you more and throw in so called free warranty).romerojpg wrote:Best place for ANY screen is John Lewis, they price matched for a month after I bought mine and knocked another £300 off when I found it in a store online down in London (the other end of the country) you can easy find any reductin online and then ask em for the difference back.
Are you sure it's any online store?
Did you actually read Salty's reason for going with Curry's???romerojpg wrote:Curries, Dixons etc.. are shit dont go near them.
Which you're paying forromerojpg wrote:and you get 5 YEARS cover
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Ohh bugger yes forgot about that! (really stupid to post before reading it all, bit drunk I guess)
John Lewis do not price match online prices either mind you, they do if they have a site store somewhere thought the online sites I found had 1 store in London:) look on AVForums as hell guys on there seem to know how far they can push Currys and Dixons etc, its been 6 months since I was price matching etc.. so it may have changed a little, but I thought Currys compared any local stores, but sometimes stores further.
But again AVforums helped me endlessely, as long as you have an idea of what Screen you are after you can find a thread for that TV on that forum and people may help you with local comparisons
it worked a lot for me as many had my screen and were constantly looking for prices cheaper locally.
John Lewis do not price match online prices either mind you, they do if they have a site store somewhere thought the online sites I found had 1 store in London:) look on AVForums as hell guys on there seem to know how far they can push Currys and Dixons etc, its been 6 months since I was price matching etc.. so it may have changed a little, but I thought Currys compared any local stores, but sometimes stores further.
But again AVforums helped me endlessely, as long as you have an idea of what Screen you are after you can find a thread for that TV on that forum and people may help you with local comparisons
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
I'd definitely try some price matching before you just buy one in store. It's worth finding out what and where they do price match.
I'd also recommend seeing what what model numbers they have in the Aintree store and then going home to find out how good/bad they are. It's worth it to get the best you can.
I'd also recommend seeing what what model numbers they have in the Aintree store and then going home to find out how good/bad they are. It's worth it to get the best you can.
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
I found AVforums threads invaluble, they also link to even bigger american sites where the nutters go and know everything
but the more you can see about a screen obviously the more you know about quality etc. . as most posts will be bad if the quality control is shit, my screen for instance had a lot of bad stick as it had a BIG screen bug which made some screens shitty for many people, yet I still took the chance and got it and was one of many who never had the bug.
Most negative feedback is there as people love to moan and find the specific thread on that TV, few people just go on to say their screen perfect, I have no problems etc..
Most negative feedback is there as people love to moan and find the specific thread on that TV, few people just go on to say their screen perfect, I have no problems etc..
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Basically, Toshiba are advertising the Z series as using 5:5 pulldown for 24Hz sources to 'virtually eliminate judder', yet no such technology appears to be coming into play, and it is one of the few new sets which actually DOES judder. So I am understandably pissed off.saltysam wrote:i heard good reports on Samsung but that proved wrongi see on avforums you were having trouble with your toshiba,did you sort it and would you recommend a tosh?
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Nope I was phoning places in Scotland and London to get them to compare with each otherMarkgway wrote:I thought John Lewis only price matched if the store was within 30 miles?
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Make sure you get a 100 Hertz model. A mate has the latest 32" HD Ready Samsung and it looks way nicer than my older model. Sure mine is now 2 years old so this possibly isn't the only reason but even so.
The colours looked way more vibrant and sharp than I get. Granted this was using the internal Digital Tuner (my TV is Analogue only) so that could be it too.
The colours looked way more vibrant and sharp than I get. Granted this was using the internal Digital Tuner (my TV is Analogue only) so that could be it too.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
in the end i've gone for a sharp 46', 3 hdmi, full hd 1080p. Curry's flatly refused to pricematch dixons and barefacedly totally denied they were the same company.managed to barter a deal where they let me knock the £82 remaining coverplan of the tv plus the tv was £100 cheaper in comet across the road so they matched that. i've had to put a couple of hundred to it but i'm not bothered really,if i get a few years good use out of this then i'll be happy.gets delivered tomorrow,Sunday.
working class blu-ray fan
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Nice one.
So they knocked the £82 cover plan off the price, right? I've never heard of them doing that before.
How much less was it online? It really is cheeky not to price match their own company. Even if they deny they're the same company exactly it's well known they're owned by the same group (which is maybe what they meant).
How much did it cost you? Your old TV was 37" right?
p.s - Is it 100 hertz and does it accept 24p?
So they knocked the £82 cover plan off the price, right? I've never heard of them doing that before.
How much less was it online? It really is cheeky not to price match their own company. Even if they deny they're the same company exactly it's well known they're owned by the same group (which is maybe what they meant).
How much did it cost you? Your old TV was 37" right?
p.s - Is it 100 hertz and does it accept 24p?
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
yepbradavon wrote:Nice one.
So they knocked the £82 cover plan off the price, right?
£250bradavon wrote:How much less was it online?
with the discounts i had to put £280 to it.bradavon wrote:How much did it cost you?
40'bradavon wrote:Your old TV was 37" right?
yesbradavon wrote:p.s - Is it 100 hertz and does it accept 24p?
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
