Recently I bought a PC with Vista, but sadly it's the 32 bits version.
I called the etailer but they dont seem to want to offer any help, so I'll call Microsoft, but I doubt they will help me either.
Anyway, I heard that if I downloaded an illegal rom of Vista (64 bits version, than I could just use the serial number for my 32 bits Vista, and it would work no problem!? Is that true? And will it cost problems in the future, as in, will Microsoft be able to detect it later on!?
Vista 32 bits and 64 bits...
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
Vista 32 bits and 64 bits...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
It's the norm. to be given 32-Bit because with 64-Bit there is still a level of problems with drivers and software support. It would also confuse a newbie with such things as both IE 32 IE 64 being included.
Eva tells me he runs XP 64 and has had no trouble with drivers but I suspect he's not running any sort of old hardware. I did hear Vista was originally going to be 64-Bit only but Microsoft wimped out. The next version will possibly/probably be 64-Bit only. Driver and software support is much, much better than it used to be. You can understand why Microsoft changed their mind. The last thing they wanted was added problems on top of Vista's launch.
The truth is you've bought a 32-Bit license so I seriously doubt you'll be able to trade it in for a 64-Bit one. Depending where you bought it from you maybe able to send the 32-Bit license back then with the refund buy Vista x64 yourself. Dell let you do this, if you press them. There was a case of a guy getting an XP refund because he wanted to use Linux.
Stick with Home Premium. I presume that's what you've currently got?
Personally I find 32-Bit perfectly stable (and as I have 2Gb of RAM perfectly speedy) and it came with my laptop so I'm sticking with it. I'm not sure the world is ready for 64-Bit (maybe it never will be until 32-Bit dies).
As to downloading it illegally. What was the point of paying for a licence if you're then going to install an illegal copy? You'll likely have problem with WGA (Windows Authentication) and Windows Update, plus SP1 knows about two of the biggest ways hackers have got around Vista's security so you may find it short lived:
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=4335
Microsoft themselves aren't too concerned with Home User's using illegal copies (it's the bootleggers they want) but you may find WGA one day invalidates the license code.
EDIT: I see you mean using a bootleg copy with a legit code I'll continue:
As to using the same licence code I seriously doubt it. You have an OEM build of Vista which uses different (sometimes unique to the OEM) serial codes than Retail copies. What you'll download is a retail copy of Vista 64.
In short try and get a refund from your supplier first. Have a good read of their Terms and Conditions.
p.s - Please no links to Torrent sites.
Eva tells me he runs XP 64 and has had no trouble with drivers but I suspect he's not running any sort of old hardware. I did hear Vista was originally going to be 64-Bit only but Microsoft wimped out. The next version will possibly/probably be 64-Bit only. Driver and software support is much, much better than it used to be. You can understand why Microsoft changed their mind. The last thing they wanted was added problems on top of Vista's launch.
The truth is you've bought a 32-Bit license so I seriously doubt you'll be able to trade it in for a 64-Bit one. Depending where you bought it from you maybe able to send the 32-Bit license back then with the refund buy Vista x64 yourself. Dell let you do this, if you press them. There was a case of a guy getting an XP refund because he wanted to use Linux.
Stick with Home Premium. I presume that's what you've currently got?
Personally I find 32-Bit perfectly stable (and as I have 2Gb of RAM perfectly speedy) and it came with my laptop so I'm sticking with it. I'm not sure the world is ready for 64-Bit (maybe it never will be until 32-Bit dies).
As to downloading it illegally. What was the point of paying for a licence if you're then going to install an illegal copy? You'll likely have problem with WGA (Windows Authentication) and Windows Update, plus SP1 knows about two of the biggest ways hackers have got around Vista's security so you may find it short lived:
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=4335
Microsoft themselves aren't too concerned with Home User's using illegal copies (it's the bootleggers they want) but you may find WGA one day invalidates the license code.
EDIT: I see you mean using a bootleg copy with a legit code I'll continue:
As to using the same licence code I seriously doubt it. You have an OEM build of Vista which uses different (sometimes unique to the OEM) serial codes than Retail copies. What you'll download is a retail copy of Vista 64.
In short try and get a refund from your supplier first. Have a good read of their Terms and Conditions.
p.s - Please no links to Torrent sites.
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
It's not for games, but when I work in Photoshop and also have other graphical programs open, I wanna have as much RAM as possible...
I'm looking into if downloading an Iso and just using my current serial on it to activate it, will work...
I'm looking into if downloading an Iso and just using my current serial on it to activate it, will work...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
I was gonna say thanks (to Evabradavon wrote:If your current serial will work you'll probably be fine but I'd look into the refund root first. You can then get a proper disc too.
You don't need 4Gb for Photo work but if it's cheap why not, I guess.
No need to say thanks
And I know 3,25 GB ram is OK for photowork, but if I have multiple heavy programs open, like some 3d program that's rendering, while at the same time I wanna do something in Photoshop, than having as much RAM as possible is going to come in handy..
Anyway, thanks
I called Medion and they said they cant help me (might send back the pc), and I wanted to contact Microsoft to ask for info and advice, but as I own an OEM version, their website and phonenumber says I should call the company that sold me the pc, and if I do want advice, I have to pay money...(!)
So fuck Microsoft, I'll try the illegal way if they're gonna be like that.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
As you have an OEM licence Microsoft will probably only give you basic advice. It's a strange one as every other software provider on the planet (pretty much) if you need support on their product you go to the people who make it (and don't pay) but Microsoft you do not.
I've never heard of anyone going to Microsoft for help, which if you think about it is very weird. They usually only deal with companies direct.
Did you specifically ask if you can get a refund on the license instead of PC? I know it's not something Dell like to advertise and if you asked they'll probably say know but the Terms and Conditions say you can so if you pressure them they'll do it. It's as least worth finding the T&Cs, and having a quick read of that. If you can get a refund it's the way to go.
I'd be surprised if your code works on Bootleg copies but by all means try. Please post if it works. Going by experience of XP it's not as simple as you think.
I've never heard of anyone going to Microsoft for help, which if you think about it is very weird. They usually only deal with companies direct.
Did you specifically ask if you can get a refund on the license instead of PC? I know it's not something Dell like to advertise and if you asked they'll probably say know but the Terms and Conditions say you can so if you pressure them they'll do it. It's as least worth finding the T&Cs, and having a quick read of that. If you can get a refund it's the way to go.
I'd be surprised if your code works on Bootleg copies but by all means try. Please post if it works. Going by experience of XP it's not as simple as you think.
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
I'll probably try this week. Photoshop seems to be running very well and fast though, so maybe there's no need (yet), plus I'm thinking I MIGHT just run a dual-OS, with Ubuntu 64 bit, which could maybe take advantage of extra memory, so I'm looking into that.
Anyway, like I said, Photoshop is lightninfast at the moment, so I quickly made a new wallpaper for my vista.
It's too big to post here, but I'll give a link to the uploaded image for those who might wanna check it out.
It's pretty simple, and I was just messing around with PS to feel how it would handle a bunch of layers and effects etc (FAST!), but the result was nice so this is now my new desktopimage...
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... rnoise.jpg
Anyway, like I said, Photoshop is lightninfast at the moment, so I quickly made a new wallpaper for my vista.
It's too big to post here, but I'll give a link to the uploaded image for those who might wanna check it out.
It's pretty simple, and I was just messing around with PS to feel how it would handle a bunch of layers and effects etc (FAST!), but the result was nice so this is now my new desktopimage...
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... rnoise.jpg
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
As Photoshop is a 32-Bit application (I don't think a 64-Bit version exists) there is no reason to expect it running over a 64-Bit OS will have any noticeable difference, plus as you have 4Gb of RAM it's not exactly surprising Photoshop runs well. You also have a fresh Windows install so it hasn't had time to get all bogged down and bloated.
Have you gone into Control Panel, "Programs and Features" and uninstall any crap the hardware provider installed on it you don't want? 4Gb with Vista is like XP with 2Gb, why not? But in reality it's overkill.
Have you ever run Linux before? I'd suggest installing VMware first to see if you like it. This will allow you to try out Linux without going to the effort of partitioning your hard disk first, if you like it you can then do that.
That is a nice wallpaper. What screen size is your monitor? I'm guessing 19" or 22" Widescreen.
These guides may interest you:
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=4357
Have you gone into Control Panel, "Programs and Features" and uninstall any crap the hardware provider installed on it you don't want? 4Gb with Vista is like XP with 2Gb, why not? But in reality it's overkill.
Have you ever run Linux before? I'd suggest installing VMware first to see if you like it. This will allow you to try out Linux without going to the effort of partitioning your hard disk first, if you like it you can then do that.
That is a nice wallpaper. What screen size is your monitor? I'm guessing 19" or 22" Widescreen.
These guides may interest you:
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=4357