The General HD Releases Thread!
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
It's good IMO. It allows for a quicker succession on to BD.
I feel sad too but in reality they've not really lost out:
Unlike BD Players HD-DVD always were (or quickly after) cheap, they've had 18 months of enjoyment, you can still buy Laser Discs today (HD-DVDs are going nowhere), HD-DVDs are currently going so cheap (less than £6 new in a few Australian sales), it will takes months/years to re-release all the HD-DVDs currently out there, they're still very much being sold, it's not as if the quality is less than BD (it's the same) and last but not least LG has recently confirmed they'll still support HD-DVD in the way of Combo Players. The article even implies they'll bring a new Player out.
Everyone is still buying HD-DVDs despite this news. I really hope to be able to buy a HD Combo Player in May so I can continue to support HD-DVD.
I feel sad too but in reality they've not really lost out:
Unlike BD Players HD-DVD always were (or quickly after) cheap, they've had 18 months of enjoyment, you can still buy Laser Discs today (HD-DVDs are going nowhere), HD-DVDs are currently going so cheap (less than £6 new in a few Australian sales), it will takes months/years to re-release all the HD-DVDs currently out there, they're still very much being sold, it's not as if the quality is less than BD (it's the same) and last but not least LG has recently confirmed they'll still support HD-DVD in the way of Combo Players. The article even implies they'll bring a new Player out.
Everyone is still buying HD-DVDs despite this news. I really hope to be able to buy a HD Combo Player in May so I can continue to support HD-DVD.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Exactly. That cannot be blamed on the format.saltysam wrote:but that's a hardware issue.
I do envision it becoming a thing of the past too. It's taken much longer than was the case with DVD (which just amounted to a few firmware tweaks on some early players) but is now gradually ironing itself out.
I imagine the Panasonic Profile 2.0 Player will rock. Combos aside I think only Samsung are still having problems. I also anticipate by the end of the year we'll see more Profile 2.0 Players and it will start to become a thing of history.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
blu-ray format players struggling to play blu-ray format discs?what else can it be.?bradavon wrote: Exactly. That cannot be blamed on the format.
I imagine the Panasonic Profile 2.0 Player will rock. [/quote] let's hope so.you told us the combo was going to rock as well.maybe you are jinxing things and should keep quiet
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
I was stating a fact. I've said several times that I actually hate Sony, so leave it out.saltysam wrote:do you tuck up at night with your sony blanket of love wrapped around you?gasteropod wrote:HD-DVD wasn't superior.
And my PS3 plays every Blu-ray disc (I'm not talking about regions), so you can't use that either, if people buy lame players it's their fault, not the format of Blu-ray.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
It was in my book.gasteropod wrote:HD-DVD wasn't superior.
-No region coding.
-Ability to play all discs NOW to proper specifications (not sometimes in the future when BD gets its act together).
-Much lower price of hardware.
-Far greater availability of stand alone machines that don't double as a games console.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Give it a rest. We all know BD Players have problems, you don't need to keep repeating it.saltysam wrote:blu-ray format players struggling to play blu-ray format discs?what else can it be.?
I'm sure you know the problems with th Samsung (and LG) were largely based on the HD-DVD/BD chip that has to handle both technologies in one chip. That clearly won't happen in a Panasonic BD Player.saltysam wrote:let's hope so.you told us the combo was going to rock as well.maybe you are jinxing things and should keep quiet
That and Panasonic would've never let the machine Samsung released get to market.
Well most players can. The problems largely lie with Samsung kit (BD or Combo) and LG Combo Players. Players from Panasonic, Sony and Pioneer are all fine. Besides like I said this is all relative, 18 months in a product life cycle (HD Players launched in April 2006) is absolutely nothing.Markgway wrote:-Ability to play all discs NOW to proper specifications (not sometimes in the future when BD gets its act together).
You must have a short memory to forget problems DVD Players had when they first launched, like I said it wasn't half as severe but problems they still had problems.
By all account HD-DVDs HDi technology is largely rubbish and was largely just used to big up HD-DVD against BD. I'm not saying we should ignore it but for the most part BD produces very good quality today.
I'll give you that one, but like everything given time price comes down.Markgway wrote:-Much lower price of hardware.
You what? You do realise only Toshiba really ever produced HD-DVD Players?Markgway wrote:-Far greater availability of stand alone machines that don't double as a games console.
Just because few talked about them on fan forums it doesn't mean BD Players don't exist. Panasonic, Pioneers, Sony, LG and Samsung all have models, and it's Samsung who have had all the troubles.
Exactly.gasteropod wrote:if people buy lame players it's their fault, not the format of Blu-ray.
At least get your argument right guys.
It's so good it's deadsaltysam wrote:my hd dvd player has no such limitations and will play any hd disc i throw at it.do the math.
As time goes on it will be so good that you'll still be able to play all the new HD Discs released on it.
The truth is there is little between them in real-world perspectives (just like there isn't much between DVD+ or DVD- or DVD-Audio or SACD) and all this hardware nonsense will work itself out. To think it won't just shows ignorance.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
that's rich coming from someone who repeats himself more times than the great escape has been on telly.bradavon wrote: Give it a rest. We all know BD Players have problems, you don't need to keep repeating it..
my £450 pioneer never had an issue.bradavon wrote: You must have a short memory to forget problems DVD Players had when they first launched, like I said it wasn't half as severe but problems they still had problems..
pricelessbradavon wrote:By all account HD-DVDs HDi technology is largely rubbish .
Markgway wrote:-Far greater availability of stand alone machines that don't double as a games console.
gasteropod wrote:if people buy lame players it's their fault, not the format of Blu-ray.
utter bollocks.the man in the street buys a samsung player and it's his fault for the player being shitbradavon wrote:Exactly..
why is it going to self destruct and stop playing my discs?i'm really not arsed,i'm lucky enough to be financially able to buy into new technology and not give a rat's arse about the cost.fuck me i paid £700 for a pioneer laserdisc player over ten years ago! technology moves on,look at your old samsung telly,probably state of the art technology when you bought it,now it's out of date.bradavon wrote:t's so good it's dead.
-
Godzooki
- King of Beggars
- Posts: 594
- Joined: 22 Aug 2006, 15:39
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
he has a HD telly at leastTigercage wrote:Brad, just from reading from your posts in this i cant believe you dont have a HD setup! Im completely lost with all the tech lingo that gets battered around and i have been a HD convert for years now!
-
Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14
Yup, a m8 of mine bought a Pioneer 606 back when DVD was so new he had to buy from the US for a multiregion player. It's a fucking housebrick of a machine, plays just about every disc flung at it (even problem HK discs) and he's still using it today!saltysam wrote:my £450 pioneer never had an issue.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
He he you've got me there, touchésaltysam wrote:that's rich coming from someone who repeats himself more times than the great escape has been on telly.
I didn't mean all players had problemssaltysam wrote:my £450 pioneer never had an issue.
It was specifics discs too. I remember "There's Something about Mary" and "The Matrix" being a problem. We are also talking the very early days too and it was fixed swiftly. Don't get me wrong it wasn't half as bad as now.
But we're the elitesaltysam wrote:utter bollocks.the man in the street buys a samsung player and it's his fault for the player being shit
Is your enter key stuck?
Blame Samsung and being unemployedTigercage wrote:Brad, just from reading from your posts in this i cant believe you dont have a HD setup!
I also want it to last which means Lossless Audio and (hopefully) Profile 2.0 support. Unless I'm still unemployed I will in May though, or June if they're slightly delayed.
I will get either one of the Samsung Combos (if they work) or the Panasonic BDM50 Profile 2.0 Player. The latter concerns me as I want to support HD-DVD but don't want two Players.
My god it's confusing and complicated isn't it. Far more than DVD ever was.Tigercage wrote:Im completely lost with all the tech lingo that gets battered around and i have been a HD convert for years now!
They are considerably easier to buy the right one for. There isn't much too them either, certainly nothing compared to the complexity of the players.saltysam wrote:he has a HD telly at least![]()
Not deliberately but probably by default purely because it will be newer.saltysam wrote:Brad's just being patient,awaiting the chance to trump us all (his words)
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Sweet. Did you pick any up? Hot Fuzz is particularly good. I'd be interested in Bourne Ultimatum but I'm going with the USA HD-DVD, despite the Combo.
King Kong is all over eBay at decent prices. I'll pick that up at some point but want to check out the Extended Cut first. I imagine it adds nothing so I'll sell my box set on.
King Kong is all over eBay at decent prices. I'll pick that up at some point but want to check out the Extended Cut first. I imagine it adds nothing so I'll sell my box set on.
