The General HD Releases Thread!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:Is there any news if the Reservoir Dogs Dutch BD is Region Free?
i'm not sure but i know DFW who released it also released a much more recent movie, 1408 and that is definitely region free so it looks likely. HOWEVER people in the usa are saying whilst the movie plays just fine the only special features they can access are the trailers! why? because the rest of the extras are in SD pal and thus won't play in ntsc only region A players.same could be true of Dogs.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks.

That is definitely worth knowing and a pretty odd thing to do too. If the same is true of Reservoir Dogs I'll definitely be getting the RA BD instead.

Anyone with the HD-DVD should be able to confirm if they're NTSC or PAL?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Great. I'll upgrade my HD-DVD to the BD.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Is there any point if you're buying a dual player?
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Yes. I'm future proofing.

It's a definite possibility I'll only own one Combo Player and after that it will be a BD Player. While I plan to keep the Combo 5+ years going by how many DVD Players I've had I'll possibly want to upgrade in 2-3 years to something newer. If I still had my DVD Player I bought 5 years ago I'd still be using Scart instead of HDMI, for example.

If it's a Universal HD-DVD I am planning to keep them (as there are stacks of them) but if it's from any other company (Warner, Paramount etc...) I'll switch to the BD as there aren't many HD-DVD exclusives from other companies at all so I may as well own the future safe BD.

I recently sold my (Warner) GoodFellas HD-DVD for the BD. It cost me about £1 after I'd sold the old one on eBay and bought the new one. Salty is doing the same if it doesn't cost him much.

There is also no garuantee I'll be getting a Combo Player, although things are looking good I will.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

had to laugh at some of the BD prices in HMV today. the tiny blu-ray section had Beowulf at £25, Starsky & Hutch at £27 and Ice Age 2 at £30 :lol:
working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Yeah, it's a silly joke.

But then average DVDs were regularly £19.99 back in the late 90s.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Face/Off UK BD review:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/869/faceoff_uk.html

I guess the reviewer doesn't realise it's cut but it's interesting to read the BD has better PQ to the Paramount HD-DVD. I understand their is a German Uncut BD too.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:but it's interesting to read the BD has better PQ to the Paramount HD-DVD. I understand their is a German Uncut BD too.
As the US HD DVD looks like shit, thats not hard.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

You wouldn't like the BD then. The review says it's only minutely better.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Well It may, as its mainly the awful dirt that ruins the transfer of the US one, the UK may have a brain and clean that crap up. The Smooth DNR would be nice to see gone as well.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Gangs of New York BD likely coming:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... u-ray/1589

Tentative Fox 2008 release schedule (Fargo, French Connection, Planet of the Apes 1968, X-Men Trilogy and More):

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... Plans/1588

Batman likely means the 1966 film already announced:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... ition.html
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Walk Hard:The Dewey Cox Story Region A-is region-free
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Cool.

That's especially cool after the USA BD is a 2 Disc Extended Director's Cut with BD Live extras. Compared with the 1 Disc Theatrical Cut (I think) barely any extras, no BD Live extras UK BD.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

i'm going to try the BD-Live extras tonight.i suspect as the official release date for this disc is April 8th they won't work,yet.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Good point. I've no idea what BD Live extras even are :D

I wonder if the disc checks your IP address and won't work unless you're in North America. I hope not.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

The BD-Live content is something to do with Bill Hader apparently. When i loaded the disc the ps3 asked me if i wanted to allow the BD to connect to the internet.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks. What happened when you did?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Thanks. What happened when you did?
He caught a glimpse of the visage of Christ.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Unbreakable Region A =Region-Free
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks. I didn't even realise that was out. When did it get released?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:Thanks. I didn't even realise that was out. When did it get released?
April 1st 2008 :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks. I cannot find it listed on any News sites, except for this:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1312/unbreakable.html

It's great to see BD50 and Lossless Audio mentioned! WTF did they do with the cover art though:

Image

Where did you buy it from?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Brad, that is likely placeholder art. They do that sort of thing for pre-release games all the time.