The results are in!

Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I wouldnt prefer Bobbi as a mod, simply because she occasionally overreacts to jokes/comments, and I fear the worst when she has the ability to edit/change/delete stuff.

Personally, I think Tom should just do it on his own if it's not too much work, and if it IS too much work, then someone who has the same kinda attitude towards modding as Tom.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
degeneration
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1474
Joined: 30 Oct 2004, 08:49
Location: Wales (but I'm Scottish!!)

Post by degeneration »

I have to agree with Brad here, if I had known his account was going to be banned, then it would have been a different story. I was lead to believe all that was going to happen was removal of his moderator powers, and that's it.

Maybe this plan should only have gone forward when it was in a position to be executed properly?

Or to even things out should we ALL register and start using new handles? I'll shorten mine to degen so I don't have to type as much...
Then there could be Yi-Long77, tom2681-45, grim69 etc...

I picked those numbers at random btw. My point is, none of us would like to start again, so I don't see why what's happened should have happened if it meant Brad starting again.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

Tom couldn't exactly perform a dry-run, he had to act when he did or Brad would have ended up doing the same to him.
Yi-Long wrote:Personally, I think Tom should just do it on his own if it's not too much work, and if it IS too much work, then someone who has the same kinda attitude towards modding as Tom.
I think someone else with admin powers like Tom would be good for backup purposes.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Lourdes wrote:Tom couldn't exactly perform a dry-run, he had to act when he did or Brad would have ended up doing the same to him.
Yi-Long wrote:Personally, I think Tom should just do it on his own if it's not too much work, and if it IS too much work, then someone who has the same kinda attitude towards modding as Tom.
I think someone else with admin powers like Tom would be good for backup purposes.
You too think Brad is gonna kill Tom, ey!?

:P

Anyway, yeah I get what you're saying, but I just hope Tom will be very carefull about choosing who would also be a mod, just so we dont get another powerhungry Brad-like character again.

Even Toge got corrupted for a very short while when he got mod-powers. He went over to the Dark Side, and we had to convince him back... remember!? ;)

Also, Bobbi is hardly ever around. Shingster is here way more often.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
Godzooki
King of Beggars
Posts: 594
Joined: 22 Aug 2006, 15:39

Post by Godzooki »

degeneration wrote:I have to agree with Brad here, if I had known his account was going to be banned, then it would have been a different story. I was lead to believe all that was going to happen was removal of his moderator powers, and that's it.

Maybe this plan should only have gone forward when it was in a position to be executed properly?

Or to even things out should we ALL register and start using new handles? I'll shorten mine to degen so I don't have to type as much...
Then there could be Yi-Long77, tom2681-45, grim69 etc...

I picked those numbers at random btw. My point is, none of us would like to start again, so I don't see why what's happened should have happened if it meant Brad starting again.
I dont think the banning of his username was anyone's intention and while its unfortunate i dont know what else Tom could do considering the climate. Also its not even as if we know if it cant be rectified yet! :)
NO WEASEL, NO CRY
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

It's pretty crap that Bradavon's lost his account etc but tbh he was given ample opportunity to stand down voluntarily but it became clear he wasn't going to do that.hopefully it can be sorted out and he can have his account reactivated.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Although I was one of those who supported the stripping of Brad's mod powers... I had no idea his account would be disabled. Hopefully he can get it back asap as he shouldn't be forced to start from scratch like a newbie.
Image
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

@ Tom did you know this would happen when you stripped him of his moderator status or was it something you discovered afterwards?
working class blu-ray fan
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

saltysam wrote:@ Tom did you know this would happen when you stripped him of his moderator status or was it something you discovered afterwards?
tom2681 wrote:Like I've explained to Grim and Brad, there is a bug somewhere in the administration panel. I was unable to change Brad's status.
Removing him from the moderators group was easy, changing his status from Admin to User was not possible.

I needed to react quickly and went for a cheap workaround (a dummy account of sorts).
This was done to ensure that Brad wasn't actually banned (which was never part of the plan).

Maybe I need to make it clear that although Brad feels he has been banned, it is not the case. He still has access to the board and is still allowed to post. It's just that his former account has been banned/deactivated until the problem can be solved.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Wasn't Grim a mod here once? i assume when he stepped down and his status changed this didn't happen.? must be a recent software bug then.
working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
degeneration
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1474
Joined: 30 Oct 2004, 08:49
Location: Wales (but I'm Scottish!!)

Post by degeneration »

As for not being able to carry out a dry run... well, it could have been done. Set up a temp account, give it mod powers, remove them, check to see if account still works fine. Maybe I'm missing something as I'm not that way technically inclined in this context. But hindsight is a wonderful thing! I do just hope it gets sorted out again asap!

As for another mod - werent' people saying that there isn't really that much modding that needs done on this forum, as it isn't exactly rush hour traffic in here all the time. So if people are too concerned about who gets the position, but are happy with Tom, then why can't he just be the sole mod (if he wants to be that is).
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

AFAIK, Grim still has all of his mod powers.
the68monkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1444
Joined: 09 Apr 2005, 03:12
Location: Eastern United States

Post by the68monkey »

This forum only needs one moderator: Tom

If you need to give back-up admin powers to somebody who can figure out the bugs, that's fine, but as far as the day-to-day running of the site, less is more.

Oh, and the only person I wouldn't prefer as a mod is Yi-Long, simply because he occasionally overreacts to jokes/comments, and I fear the worst when he has the ability to edit/change/delete stuff. :D
My favorite Hong Kong screen villain? www.yuenwah.com
Bradavon78

Post by Bradavon78 »

Empty!
Last edited by Bradavon78 on 27 Mar 2008, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

This is a simple story,
  • Brad abused his powers and pissed people off
    Brad declared himself autocrat
    Tom formed a coup d'etat
    Brad was deposed and will have his old account back soon
This tale will conclude with the forums being a bit more pleasant and Brad having his nose in a sling.

All else is bullshit, twisting of facts and outright lies from Brad himself.

The End
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I agree with those who agree with Brad :P It's poor that he has lost his account, he should have been told and it would feel odd starting from scratch, I'm not sure I'd want to start as a new member (4 years worth of posts on this forum alone).
User avatar
degeneration
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1474
Joined: 30 Oct 2004, 08:49
Location: Wales (but I'm Scottish!!)

Post by degeneration »

14109 post in 4 years = 3527.25 per year = 9.66 posts every day for 4 years... that's a lot of posts!
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

there's people dying,getting fatal illnesses,having terrible luck all over the world but losing a fucking post count must rank up there with the most serious thing that can happen to someone. :roll: pathetic
working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Of course no one is suggesting that Sam.
EDIT well actually its not quite 4 years worth of posts but close enough.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

if Bradavon had stepped down when he should have done this wouldn't have happened.it's unfortunate but he should take some of the blame due to his stubborness Grim.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

the68monkey wrote:This forum only needs one moderator: Tom

If you need to give back-up admin powers to somebody who can figure out the bugs, that's fine, but as far as the day-to-day running of the site, less is more.

Oh, and the only person I wouldn't prefer as a mod is Yi-Long, simply because he occasionally overreacts to jokes/comments, and I fear the worst when he has the ability to edit/change/delete stuff. :D
Geez... you sleep with a woman for 1 time, yet she holds a grudge forever.. :P

I've said many times before I wouldnt want to be a mod, and that still stands, 1: cause I dont like ordering others around and being 'the boss' of them, and 2: I doubt the forum really needs someone besides Tom, as it's a pretty quiet forum.

Only reason for me that I can think of of me becoming a mod, is that way I would be sure it wouldnt be in the hands of someone like Brad again, but there are more than enough people here (I think) who also think a mod should behave like Tom is currently doing, so it's not a huge fear I have.

But I've been a so-called 'mod' for years now on cityonfire, and I think I used those powers once or twice to remove some spam.

Tom should just do it, and otherwise some guy like Tom, as back-up.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

@Degeneration:
Of course I tested it on a dummy account to see if it could be done.
I created a user, turned him into an admin and then turned him back into a user again.

No problems there. But it did not work with Brad's account, for reasons I/Mordib can't understand.
This was never meant to happen.

Brad's old account is not lost, of course.
But it will remain banned until we can change its status.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
the68monkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1444
Joined: 09 Apr 2005, 03:12
Location: Eastern United States

Post by the68monkey »

Yi-Long wrote:Geez... you sleep with a woman for 1 time, yet she holds a grudge forever.. :P
In your dreams, little Dutch boy! :P
My favorite Hong Kong screen villain? www.yuenwah.com
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

the68monkey wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:Geez... you sleep with a woman for 1 time, yet she holds a grudge forever.. :P
In your dreams, little Dutch boy! :P
In my dreams it has been wayyyyyyyyyy more than once :D
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 461
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 09:43
Location: L'dam - The Netherlands

Post by Ricochan38 »

it looks as if brad is very angry...why are all his posts empty?


by the way i am one of the neutral ones 8)