I'm possibly going to be a 1080p TV in the next few months or so and figure I might get a blu ray player as well, so that I can start getting films on blu ray (or at least the ones that are worth it).
So my questions are:
1) Are blu ray players backward compatable with DVDs?
2) I gather the region coding is different for blu ray discs, but how does it work for region coded DVDs playing on a blu ray player? I've got enough region coded DVDs from regions 1-4 that I'd want them ALL to play back without having to get a region free upscaling DVD player.
3) I assume blu ray players can upscale DVD playback?
If I thin of other questions, I'll ask as the thread goes on.
Cheers.
Blu ray players, their dvd playback and region coding
-
degeneration
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1474
- Joined: 30 Oct 2004, 08:49
- Location: Wales (but I'm Scottish!!)
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
1. Yes but most are region locked, www.avforums is a good resource here.
2. Yes there is only 3 BD Region code. Regions A and B are the important ones and AFAIK only EIV use Region B in the UK (I'm not aware of any Aussie or Mainland European companies that do) compared with a fair few which use Region A (America) and only distribute in America. Fox also use Region B coding but they release on Region A too, so it's no big deal.
Region Coding is "mostly" (important word) only an issue if you don't own a Region A Player, IMO. When Region Coding is used it tends to be Region A. I guess those who own Region B Players don't want any of the Region A locked discs.
Owning a Region A Player means using a Voltage Converter (in most cases) and in most cases makes warranty tricky, due to the number of Region A locked discs I am happy to take this risk.
See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Region_codes
See here for which discs are Region Locked (this is well worth bookmarking): http://bluray.liesinc.net/
3. Yes to 1080p - But as most are region locked and most USA Players cannot handle PAL, most still retain a separate DVD Player. In my case I will use my Upscaling DVD Recorder.
p.s - This is probably better in the High Def. Forum, which is being used for everything HD
.
2. Yes there is only 3 BD Region code. Regions A and B are the important ones and AFAIK only EIV use Region B in the UK (I'm not aware of any Aussie or Mainland European companies that do) compared with a fair few which use Region A (America) and only distribute in America. Fox also use Region B coding but they release on Region A too, so it's no big deal.
Region Coding is "mostly" (important word) only an issue if you don't own a Region A Player, IMO. When Region Coding is used it tends to be Region A. I guess those who own Region B Players don't want any of the Region A locked discs.
Owning a Region A Player means using a Voltage Converter (in most cases) and in most cases makes warranty tricky, due to the number of Region A locked discs I am happy to take this risk.
See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Region_codes
See here for which discs are Region Locked (this is well worth bookmarking): http://bluray.liesinc.net/
3. Yes to 1080p - But as most are region locked and most USA Players cannot handle PAL, most still retain a separate DVD Player. In my case I will use my Upscaling DVD Recorder.
p.s - This is probably better in the High Def. Forum, which is being used for everything HD
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
degeneration
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1474
- Joined: 30 Oct 2004, 08:49
- Location: Wales (but I'm Scottish!!)
What would happen if you played a DVD in a regular, non-upscaling DVD player on a 1080p TV? Would it work? Would the picture only be on a small part of the screen, or would the TV stretch the image to fill the whole screen? If the latter is the case, isn't the TV upscaling the image itself? if so, why do you need an upscaling DVD player?
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Watching a DVD on a DVD Player that cannot Upscale is the same as setting your Upscaling DVD Player to 576p or 480p, the TV does the Upscaling instead and yes it will fit the screen properly.
Why do you need an Upscaling DVD Player? Many say you don't and say it's just a marketing twaddle. Many also say that the Upscaling chips in DVD Players (except for those cheap supermarket brands) tends to be better than the Upscaling chips in TVs.
Going by talk on forums that seems to be true. I do know the Upscaler in my Pioneer DVD Player looks better than a Native image being upscaled by my Samsung TV.
When you buy a BD Player you'll be able to test this theory for yourself.
Why do you need an Upscaling DVD Player? Many say you don't and say it's just a marketing twaddle. Many also say that the Upscaling chips in DVD Players (except for those cheap supermarket brands) tends to be better than the Upscaling chips in TVs.
Going by talk on forums that seems to be true. I do know the Upscaler in my Pioneer DVD Player looks better than a Native image being upscaled by my Samsung TV.
When you buy a BD Player you'll be able to test this theory for yourself.
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
While I'm sure that's true, you never see them compared against Top End DVD Players. So while I'm sure they're good I don't know how they compare against the Premium Priced Players, from the likes of Denon and Pioneer.
Denon in particular are known for giving the absolutely best hardware they can make/get their hands on. I'm sure Oppos are excellent but given their price point they must cut corners somewhere. While not "that" important they do buy in their remotes and menu layouts, the latter usually being really poor. Obviously it's just a menu though.
Denon in particular are known for giving the absolutely best hardware they can make/get their hands on. I'm sure Oppos are excellent but given their price point they must cut corners somewhere. While not "that" important they do buy in their remotes and menu layouts, the latter usually being really poor. Obviously it's just a menu though.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27