Windows XP Service Pack 3

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote: I still find it strange IE7 or WMP11 aren't being included but there you go, especially when IE7 was rolled out over Windows Update some time ago. I'm not sure on WMP11.
EU anti-competitive rulings duh. Plus some people mightn't want to upgrade either of those for various reasons and wouldn't appreciate being forced.
Also: In an unusual move SP3 Release Candidate 1 (i.e - Beta) is freely available on Microsoft's website:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... b124a720aa
Old old news.

Not that I'd recommend anyone download it, especially when RC2 is already on Technet and MSDN.
I wouldn't recommend any release candidate, everyone should wait for the final version in the case of a major OS update such as this.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:EU anti-competitive rulings duh. Plus some people mightn't want to upgrade either of those for various reasons and wouldn't appreciate being forced.
That specifically applies to WMP durh! Point taken on that one though. SP2 upgrades XP to a newer version of IE6.

That's never stopped MS before. Like I said Windows Update automatically gives it to you. I suppose that is a separate install though, point taken. You'd think during install it would ask you though, you can then always just say No.
EvaUnit02 wrote:Old old news.
Not here ;)
EvaUnit02 wrote:I wouldn't recommend any release candidate, everyone should wait for the final version in the case of a major OS update such as this.
I never install Beta: Operating Systems, Service Packs, Service Releases, Rollups, Hotfixes, Drivers or Internet Explorer (as it's so intertwined in the OS).

I can rarely be bothered to install Beta period any more. I can wait.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Beta drivers are a different matter though. Sometimes they provide much needed fixes or optimisations needed for specific programs. This is especially true of graphics card drivers.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Windows XP SP3 is now out:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 1555d4f3d4

It's 316Mb and obviously includes SP1/SP2 also. It can also be downloaded from Windows Update.

=====================================================

More users here (in the comments) claiming SP3 makes XP run faster:

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/11/wi ... gains.html

=====================================================

How Internet Explorer is handled with SP3:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/0 ... xpsp3.aspx

=====================================================

Problems with SP3 and some OEM PC's running AMD Chips/Motherboards:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Windows ... 1210611833
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

I installed it about a week ago, I've had no problems with it at all so far.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

I've installed it today and have noticed an increase in speed, very pleased with it.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

That's good to hear Shingster. I notice it was released to the public on the 6th of May but I no longer use XP so didn't spot it earlier.

I've let my Dad now though. My Mum's PC is flaky but generally works. I'm not sure I'll install SP3 on to it, just yet. I would be really annoyed if XP didn't then boot up and I had to waste time fixing it. If the PC worked fully I'd definitely install it.

As it generally works it's not worth my time trying to fix it properly, especially when it would incur costs (the motherboard really need replacing).