What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I think Sam's motive behind it all, was that he had this theory all his life: for someone as fragile and as weak as him to exist, there should also be someone who is his complete oppositie, so very healthy, strong, 'unbreakable', etc.
He wanted to PROOF that theory, by finding that direct oppositie.
Couldn't he have just gotten a hobby? :D
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

luckystars wrote:So possibly two then brad ;)
Maybe :D. I like The Village, when no one else does.
Yi-Long wrote:@ Brad: like I said, the problem I had with the ending was that it seemed to come too quickly, and it just didnt relaly have a climax.
I know. I was just adding my reply to yours :).
luckystars wrote:Werent there supposed to be sequels, which never happened?
Really? I never read that.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I liked The Village as well... although I already figured out the 'twist' pretty soon into the movie.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Transformers: 3/5

Amazing CGI, probably the best I've seen so far, but as a whole the film is just all right. The transformers' voices freaked me out a bit.
User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 08:01

Post by luckystars »

I read it with an open mind :)

Empire usually sends me to sleep, but the top 500 was interesting to see what other people think.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

Eaten Alive (Italy, 1980) – 2/5
Not to be confused with Tobe Hooper’s 1977 film of the same name, this Umberto Lenzi flick takes a true story of a religious cult, and throwns in some cannibals (naturally, since the film takes place in New Guinea). Decent film with some unfortunate animal killings.

Massacre in Dinosaur Valley (Italy/Brazil, 1985) – 1,5/5
Sex, violence and a couple of cannibals. Your usual Amazon mix in other words. Unfortunately the adventure film is quite messy; there’s a bit of gore, some comedy, a few gunfights, sex and nudity here and there, and no continous focus on anything. Michael Sopkiw does handle the lead role well, though, and the theme music is used effectively.

Invasion USA (USA, 1985) – 2,5/5
”If you come back in here, I am gonna hit you with so many rights you are going to beg for a left.”

Helsinki Napoli All Night Long (Finland, Germany ect., 1987) – 3,5/5
A Mika Kaurismäki film taking place in 1980’s Berlin, spoken in English, Italian, German, Finnish and Russian, and starring Kari Väänänen, Roberta Manfredi, Samuel Fuller, Wim Wenders and Jim Jarmusch. Not your average Finnish movie. Väänänen plays a cab driver who accidentally becomes a getaway driver for two gangsters who have the underworld after them. Slightly overlong but enjoyable action comedy with good soundtrack and none of that overly polished Hollywood look.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Invasion USA rules. :D
Image
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

The rating isn't 100% accurate. I had watched 3.7 movies that day already, and Invasion USA was on TV after midnight. I was tired as hell. I might have liked it even more if had been in better shape.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Planet Terror: 3.5/5

Oh my God, a Robert Rodriguez film I actually enjoyed! Gotta love Naveen Andrews' bag o' balls :lol:
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Bad Boys 2: 3/5

Good fun, I enjoyed it overall as there were good interplay between Will Smith and Martin Lawrence but it was way too long and there were some silly bits like when Marcus (Lawrence) accidentally takes ecstasy - why is that funny? That's poor taste IMO. He just goes a bit "weird" then he's OK again?!
One scene is a straight rip off of the famous shanty town car chase from Police Story.
Oh, and Syd (Martin's sister) was hot :D
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

The ecstasy scene is probably the best scene in the film. The humour and the cast are great throughout. Everything else more or less sucks.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Agreed it is a humourous film with a good cast :) The captain sounded like Joe Pantalliano (sp?)
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

Uhm, it was Joe Pantoliano.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

That's all right then :D Hey, at least I recognised someone ;)
I know the ecstasy scene is supposed to be comedic but I'm not sure I liked how they got laughs out of something so serious, and all of a sudden he was OK? :(
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I thought Bad Boys 2 was way, way too long. It should've ended with the gunfight just before they went to South America. That whole section wasn't needed.

I didn't find the ecstasy scene offensive. I did find it mind numbingly boring though, it wasn't in the slightest bit funny. Like most of Bad Boys 2 in fact. The bodies rolling scene, that was bad taste though, again I didn't find it offensive just bad taste.

Bad Boys is an action classic, Bay's best work but BB2 was mostly dull. It would've likely been good though, if it wasn't so god damn long.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Agree, it was way too long. Should have been 100 mins tops.
User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 08:01

Post by luckystars »

I must be the only one who liked BB2 more :)
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

I fall into the 'it was too long and boring' camp.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

@ 100, maybe 120 minutes it would've been ace but 150 minutes! WTF!
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

lol, I thought the length was appropriate.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

You would :D.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Twelve Monkeys: 4/5

Hadn't seen this in about a decade till tonight, pretty damn good. I can now see where Jeunet and Caro took influence.
User avatar
Godzooki
King of Beggars
Posts: 594
Joined: 22 Aug 2006, 15:39

Post by Godzooki »

The Midnight Meat Train - 2/5

Ryuhei Kitamura - must try harder!! :?
NO WEASEL, NO CRY
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

Can't wait to see it. I hear it's terrific.
User avatar
Godzooki
King of Beggars
Posts: 594
Joined: 22 Aug 2006, 15:39

Post by Godzooki »

HungFist wrote:Can't wait to see it. I hear it's terrific.
So many things it does well but it lets itself down in the final act. Kitamura impresses for the most part but it was only his typical style over substance and eye for detail that kept me watching it to the end. :o
NO WEASEL, NO CRY