The off-topic topic
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
I don't have as severe disabilities as some others, in fact I don't see myself as "disabled" TBH (or don't like thinking of myself as such), they are not very obvious but still there.
The goalie doesn't have one leg but he can't stand for long periods so uses a wheelchair to get around sometimes.
I also have hydrocephalus and (minor) cerebal palsy. I had that since I was a baby.

The goalie doesn't have one leg but he can't stand for long periods so uses a wheelchair to get around sometimes.
I also have hydrocephalus and (minor) cerebal palsy. I had that since I was a baby.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
Can you guys watch those animal shows?
You know, the ones on Animal Planet, where you watch a baby lion or cheetah or whatever, and see it grow up into adulthood!?
Cause I can't. I mean, I love animals, nature, gorgeous settings, the calm of such documentaries.... that's all good.
...but I'm way too much of a cry-baby to watch it all the way to the end. You always know some shit will happen in those last 5-10 minutes, where the cubs will lose their momma, or where one of the orphan cubs is killed and the other orphan cub is left all on his own, dazed, sad and bewildered....
I just watched 45 minutes of a doc about 2 orphan cheetahs from when they were so small and cute, untill they were both strong and out hunting. Obviously, I could already sense it would end bad, so I just stopped watching when everything looked to be going fine, and then went onto the internet to see how the story ended up. I'm glad I didnt watch it.
You know, the ones on Animal Planet, where you watch a baby lion or cheetah or whatever, and see it grow up into adulthood!?
Cause I can't. I mean, I love animals, nature, gorgeous settings, the calm of such documentaries.... that's all good.
...but I'm way too much of a cry-baby to watch it all the way to the end. You always know some shit will happen in those last 5-10 minutes, where the cubs will lose their momma, or where one of the orphan cubs is killed and the other orphan cub is left all on his own, dazed, sad and bewildered....
I just watched 45 minutes of a doc about 2 orphan cheetahs from when they were so small and cute, untill they were both strong and out hunting. Obviously, I could already sense it would end bad, so I just stopped watching when everything looked to be going fine, and then went onto the internet to see how the story ended up. I'm glad I didnt watch it.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
I hate nature programmes because they always have to show you animals being killed and fighting and shit. I know that goes on but I don't consider it entertainment. If you want to learn about the animal kingdom go for it but it's not my bag. I prefer seeing cute kittens get rescued and rehomed or something.
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
I like some of the nature programmes David Attenborough does. I watched the Nature's Great Events show about polar bears, that was very good.
In the talent show today, I did the sketch Welcome To Hufflepuff this week and The Seekers' A World Of Our Own - (I hadnt really prepared that). I was happier with that song because it is a happier, lighter song, even if a love song too. All Over The World is just so sad
I was going to do Billy Conolly's DIVORCE though but I dont have the audio/CD.
Again I think everyone liked it and said it was good
I scored another goal in footy today too
In the talent show today, I did the sketch Welcome To Hufflepuff this week and The Seekers' A World Of Our Own - (I hadnt really prepared that). I was happier with that song because it is a happier, lighter song, even if a love song too. All Over The World is just so sad
I was going to do Billy Conolly's DIVORCE though but I dont have the audio/CD.
Again I think everyone liked it and said it was good
I scored another goal in footy today too
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Let me just check.................................... Yep.bradavon wrote:Are you for real Mark?
Like I said (or thought I did... lol ) learning is fine if that's your interest... but I'm not interested and thus the only reason I would watch is for entertainment value... and since I don't see it as entertianment.... better??It's not supposed to be entertainment per se, it's a documentary. You're supposed to be learning from it.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
Thought i'd post an update on my recent medical problems. As i mentioned before work sent me to see a private specialist a couple of weeks ago,he examined me physically and told me my joints appeared fine,we discussed my symptoms and he thought i'd possibly caught a viral infection that had attacked my joints but my body was fighting it off. Anyway last week completed a month of working 4 hours a day and this week have returned full-time.
In the meantime my eyes have been bothering me for a few weeks,a burning sensation in them,took myself to the eye clinic where i didn't get to see a doctor but saw an eye nurse who after performing a couple of tests said i had Dry Eyes and gave me some eyedrops. These only help slightly,took myself to the opticians for an eyesight test and paid extra for digital photographs of the back of my eye,after a good check up she said my vision was exactly the same as it was last October,she also confirmed the dry eye diagnosis. I also know this condition can be related to the joint pain i've been suffering from so more worry.
Roll on to today when i finally went for a follow up appointment to my original hospital admission. Spoke with the specialist who still thinks it was a case of acute gout, i told him i'd seen a another specialist who didn't think it was gout,he didn't seem impressed then said if i wanted to go under him instead i was welcome to ! i explained i was sent from work to the specialist and no way could i afford private treatment. i told him of my frustration that i still don't know for definite what's up/was up with me and his answer was if you get another attack we'll treat you! how about finding out the cause and preventing it ! He said my bloods were fine apart from the high levels of inflammation in the blood at the time. So i had more blood taken today and i return on the 26th June.
So i'm back at work, touch wood fingers crossed apart from some twinges my joints seem to have settled down and i'm still not sure what was up with me. Now i have these dry eyes which are ultra annoying and i am still really down about it all. Sorry for the long ramble but i'm feeling sorry for myself!
In the meantime my eyes have been bothering me for a few weeks,a burning sensation in them,took myself to the eye clinic where i didn't get to see a doctor but saw an eye nurse who after performing a couple of tests said i had Dry Eyes and gave me some eyedrops. These only help slightly,took myself to the opticians for an eyesight test and paid extra for digital photographs of the back of my eye,after a good check up she said my vision was exactly the same as it was last October,she also confirmed the dry eye diagnosis. I also know this condition can be related to the joint pain i've been suffering from so more worry.
Roll on to today when i finally went for a follow up appointment to my original hospital admission. Spoke with the specialist who still thinks it was a case of acute gout, i told him i'd seen a another specialist who didn't think it was gout,he didn't seem impressed then said if i wanted to go under him instead i was welcome to ! i explained i was sent from work to the specialist and no way could i afford private treatment. i told him of my frustration that i still don't know for definite what's up/was up with me and his answer was if you get another attack we'll treat you! how about finding out the cause and preventing it ! He said my bloods were fine apart from the high levels of inflammation in the blood at the time. So i had more blood taken today and i return on the 26th June.
So i'm back at work, touch wood fingers crossed apart from some twinges my joints seem to have settled down and i'm still not sure what was up with me. Now i have these dry eyes which are ultra annoying and i am still really down about it all. Sorry for the long ramble but i'm feeling sorry for myself!
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
So overall, do you feel slightly better now, as the joints seem to be a bit better, or pretty much the same, plus the dry eyes, which in total makes it worse!?
Have you suffered from dry eyes before!? Do you wear contacts or glasses!? How are you feeling mentally about being back at work?
I hope you'll be better soon, man. At least they seem to care about your problem and are doing their best to keep checking you up etc.
I know how you feel about being down when you're having physical problems like this that hamper you in every way.
Have you suffered from dry eyes before!? Do you wear contacts or glasses!? How are you feeling mentally about being back at work?
I hope you'll be better soon, man. At least they seem to care about your problem and are doing their best to keep checking you up etc.
I know how you feel about being down when you're having physical problems like this that hamper you in every way.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
Hi Yi, no,never had dry eyes before this which makes me think it's connected,though it may be a coincidence.At my last opticians appointment last October i was told i had Blepharitis which can lead to dry eyes so maybe that's the cause?Yes i wear glasses,never had contacts. The joints definitely feel better,i can get up in the morning,hop out of bed and dress no problem,2 months ago it would take superhuman effort just to get out of it.however every little twinge or ache i get now and i think it's coming back
As for better,physically yes i do,plus i've dropped a bit of weight which helps when you are my size ! Mentally still not great,definitely not myself and am finding it hard to regignite my interest in watching movies,etc. I've managed to get myself to a couple of Liverpool games lately which is a start. Being back at work,well i was on the easy shift this week,i'm leave next week then the following week i do some nights,which will be a tester.
Overall,i'm better than i was but these dry eyes are a real pain in the backside,can't believe the year i've had so far.
Overall,i'm better than i was but these dry eyes are a real pain in the backside,can't believe the year i've had so far.
working class blu-ray fan
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
Had a strange and quite scary experience this morning. Woke up at 8.30 orso cause of stomach pains, went to the toilet and had something to drink, sat at the PC a bit, then watched an Hajime no Ippo episode, got tired and went back to sleep, snugling up to my girlfriend.
Here comes the weird part. Suddenly I felt I was outside my body, as if only connected through a string, and I couldnt breathe anymore nor move my hand. It felt like I was slipping away (a 'sucking' feeling) and I got 'scared' and suddenly i was 'back in'. My girlfriend noticed I was trembling but I can't recall that, but I did have to inhale a few big breaths.
Extremely weird feeling,and didnt feel like a dream AT ALL.
Anyway, I looked it up and it seems to correspond with what's described on the matter on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-body_experience
Especially the text next to the picture half-way down the page, where the ghost is connected with a string to the body...

Here comes the weird part. Suddenly I felt I was outside my body, as if only connected through a string, and I couldnt breathe anymore nor move my hand. It felt like I was slipping away (a 'sucking' feeling) and I got 'scared' and suddenly i was 'back in'. My girlfriend noticed I was trembling but I can't recall that, but I did have to inhale a few big breaths.
Extremely weird feeling,and didnt feel like a dream AT ALL.
Anyway, I looked it up and it seems to correspond with what's described on the matter on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-body_experience
Especially the text next to the picture half-way down the page, where the ghost is connected with a string to the body...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
That's interesting, I read a lot of books about stuff like that, including psychedelic experiences and stuff and I really believe in the soul being able to leave the body.
A while ago I was having a go at meditation, and I felt myself slipping out of this reality and then I had this massive feeling of euphoria and felt like I was rising up off my bed, no shit
but because I was so shocked, I snapped out of it after no more than 10 seconds. I totally didn't expect that to happen.
A while ago I was having a go at meditation, and I felt myself slipping out of this reality and then I had this massive feeling of euphoria and felt like I was rising up off my bed, no shit
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
On Wiki it said it can be caused by mental or physical stress, and the last few weeks havent been good, so yeah, I'm guessing it's connected but obviously I can't be sure.saltysam wrote:That's creepy Yido you think your experience was connected to your stomach pains?
I always try to get some extra sleep when I'm in pain, cause obviously it usually helps a bit (when you're asleep you are usually not aware of the pain, but I sure hope this doesn't return.
It was a very spooky feeling. On the one hand it's a sense of 'freedom' you get, and it indeed seems like the mind/soul can seperate itself from the body, and obviously on the other hand it's frightening as hell when you suddenly feel you can't breathe and move anymore, and you feel 'detached' from your own body and feel like you are slipping 'away'.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the sensation you get when you actually die.
I've only read about this before in a Nat. Geographic book or something about weird stuff, like alien abduction and the Inca's and reincarnation etc etc. It was about a guy being tortured on a daily basis and after a while he wouldn't respond to the torture anymore and he explained afterwards he would just 'slip out' his body and'fly around a bit. I'll see if i can find the book and see if there's a name mentioned.gasteropod wrote:That's interesting, I read a lot of books about stuff like that, including psychedelic experiences and stuff and I really believe in the soul being able to leave the body.
A while ago I was having a go at meditation, and I felt myself slipping out of this reality and then I had this massive feeling of euphoria and felt like I was rising up off my bed, no shitbut because I was so shocked, I snapped out of it after no more than 10 seconds. I totally didn't expect that to happen.
I once did some 'meditation', or in other words, I was just completely focussing of bringing my thoughts as deep within myself as possible, and I went inside my head through the ears (with my thoughts) and going deeper and deeper and in the end it seemd like I was in 'open space' or something, like the universe, dark and with stars, 'floating' around.
I do find it hard to concentrate/focus that hard on 'going inside', cause you get restless in your stomach, so I havent really tried it again. Also, I'm not really into that stuff, not because I don't believe there is something to discover, but more so that it seems like a hassle...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
A Weird experience Yi that's for sure...i feel like crap at the moment,this dry eye condition is awful,imagine your eyes feeling like they are burning a lot of the time.Had a couple of good days were it wasn't bad but the last day or 2 has been crap. Really,really depressed by it all to be honest
don't know what i've done to deserve this crap,i'm a nice guy 
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
Shit always happens to 'nice guys'. You'd think that if there was any justice in the universe, it would be evil selfish cruel bastards like Grim that would have all the bad luck!!!saltysam wrote:A Weird experience Yi that's for sure...i feel like crap at the moment,this dry eye condition is awful,imagine your eyes feeling like they are burning a lot of the time.Had a couple of good days were it wasn't bad but the last day or 2 has been crap. Really,really depressed by it all to be honestdon't know what i've done to deserve this crap,i'm a nice guy
I hope one day karma will get what's coming to it!
Sorry to hear about your eye-problem though. Have the doctors ruled out the possibility that you're a mutant and are developing some sort of heat-vision!?
And are eyedrops not an option!?
Anyway, it sounds horrible and hopefully it will get better soon. Hang in there, Salty.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Nice guys suffer most. Fact.
When was the last time you heard about a real bastard being the victim of a horrible crime?
It's always "he was so liked by everyone in the community and ran a cat's shelter in his spare time..."
And never "What a prick. He raped his wife repeatedly. Better off someone stabbed him in an unprovoked attack."
Do I sound cynical? Life has a habit of doing that to you.
When was the last time you heard about a real bastard being the victim of a horrible crime?
It's always "he was so liked by everyone in the community and ran a cat's shelter in his spare time..."
And never "What a prick. He raped his wife repeatedly. Better off someone stabbed him in an unprovoked attack."
Do I sound cynical? Life has a habit of doing that to you.
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Well there are always "nice" criminals getting stabbed to death while burglurising a house, always cheers me up
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... Say_Family
Poor innocent little burglar, shit happens, dont break into and steal from people you dumbass!
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... Say_Family
Poor innocent little burglar, shit happens, dont break into and steal from people you dumbass!
