One my favourite 80's horrors,Fright Night is getting a December release...but Sony has licensed to it to a company called twilight time who are releasing 3000 copies only priced at $40 & shipping and available only at screen archives madness
Obviously it's been a long time since I watched it at the cinema but I recall the photography being dominated by lush golden tones more in keeping with what I'm seeing in some of those BD grabs (mostly the leaves on the trees right before the "baptism" sequence), but I couldn't really say for certain. I just remember the colours in the theatre being more lush than on DVD but still maintaining that old-timey sepia feel.
The article reads like he doesn't want to piss his bosses off and dislikes the changes too.
luckystars wrote:Still can't wait to enjoy these films on my system, despite any tinkering...the PQ and audio will be AMAZING.
Me too. I cannot wait. I'm trying to source the original trilogy for a decent price. I'd probably buy ROTS on BD but not the other two, so am not going to bother. That's the only one I've got on DVD.
Please post your thoughts on the AV of the original trilogy and how jarring the changes are (such as Vader saying NOOOO). And the prequels too I guess.
luckystars wrote:Interestingly Dennis Muren is interviewed and he says 'changes are fine, as long as the original version of a film is available'..whoops!
Tell that to George Lucas and the money grubbers of Hollywood.
bradavon wrote:Please post your thoughts on the AV of the original trilogy and how jarring the changes are (such as Vader saying NOOOO). And the prequels too I guess.
i'm not familar with the films,i doubt i'd spot any changes.they've never been particular favourites of mine,much like sci-fi movies in general.thought i'd give them another go though.
Optimum UK Blu-ray "Manhunter" to my surprise featuring the "original" theatrical cut: http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/manhunter2.html. I guess they used MGM's recent blu-ray (or it's master) as the source. It's also got the Director's Cut, not on the USA MGM BD (but only in SD).
I just stumbled across this thread from Roger Deakins' own forums via a completely unrelated internet search about film negatives, it contains his original quote from 2010 where he mentioned "overseeing a new master for O Brother which looks far superior to the original release", but if you look at the most recent posts you'll see that someone has dropped a question regarding the colour differences between the old DVD and new BD release, so you might want to bookmark this page and keep an eye out for Roger's reply.