Asian Movies in HD!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
DangerousLeeHandsome
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 313
Joined: 16 Oct 2006, 02:27
Location: California, US

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by DangerousLeeHandsome »

Blu-ray.com posted the cover art.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by grim_tales »

That looks awful :icon_suspect:
DangerousLeeHandsome
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 313
Joined: 16 Oct 2006, 02:27
Location: California, US

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by DangerousLeeHandsome »

It looks hilarious! Dion Lam front and center while Tony Leung and Andy Lau are nowhere to be seen. I truly believe whoever is responsible for that artwork has no idea who the main actors are! Reminds me of when I watched my Time and Tide DVD and clicked on Nicholas Tse's filmography but Wu Bai's picture appeared instead. LOL!
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by Markgway »

They don't care!
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by bradavon »

It looks all right to me, inaccurate maybe but it's a hell of a lot better than that Tartan Infernal Affairs 2 cover, remember that one? It's a shame a box set isn't coming too, not yet anyway. They're the sort of films I'd only want a box set for.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by bradavon »

Have the following ever had a HD-DVD or BD release? And one with English subs too? -

Shiri: Still one of my fave action films
My Sassy Girl: I still cannot believe this never got a Western release, it was so popular. It even got a US remake.
Il Mare
Musa: The Warrior
Bichunmoo

Thanks
User avatar
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 461
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 09:43
Location: L'dam - The Netherlands

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by Ricochan38 »

bradavon wrote:Have the following ever had a HD-DVD or BD release? And one with English subs too? -

Shiri: Still one of my fave action films
My Sassy Girl: I still cannot believe this never got a Western release, it was so popular. It even got a US remake.
Il Mare
Musa: The Warrior
Bichunmoo

Thanks

I would love to see all of those on Bluray (region2 or free) :)
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by grim_tales »

Hey Rico!
How are things? :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by bradavon »

I forgot I'd asked that. I guess no? :(.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by grim_tales »

I think Bichunmoo has one but its not English friendly :(

http://www.asianblurayguide.com/detail/ ... a_germany/
User avatar
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 461
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 09:43
Location: L'dam - The Netherlands

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by Ricochan38 »

grim_tales wrote:Hey Rico!
How are things? :D

pretty good thx :D



there are a lot of blurays that i want to buy but they are not region 2 of free :mad:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:I think Bichunmoo has one but its not English friendly :( - http://www.asianblurayguide.com/detail/ ... a_germany/
Well spotted thanks. It's a start at least.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by saltysam »

Battle Royale USA release coming

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8011
working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by Markgway »

Stupid to force buyers to choose between a barebones dir's cut (dubious given that the additional material was shot AFTER the film's initial release) or a full load edition that includes the diabolical BR2. I'll stick with the Arrow edition which has all you really need.

And the ABE cover art is shite.
Image
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by gasteropod »

Yeah I've got the ltd edition Arrow BD so unless the PQ is significantly better I'm not interested.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by Markgway »

I don't think the film has ever looked good.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by bradavon »

The UK one is definitely better. There's no way I want BR2 but I do want both BR cuts. I like them both. Didn't BR2 Extended Cut come out after the original director had died? So hardly a Director's Cut.

I'm not interested in buying it again. The UK BD looks fine and oddly despite the fact I've got the regular edition, it still came with all the LE stuff. Just in a normal keep-case plus slip-case.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:The UK BD looks fine and oddly despite the fact I've got the regular edition, it still came with all the LE stuff. Just in a normal keep-case plus slip-case.
Yeah, I'm not interested in foldout posters and comic books.

Just give me the discs in a regular plastic BD case, thanks.
Image
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11930
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:Didn't BR2 Extended Cut come out after the original director had died?
BR2 Theatrical Cut came out after the original director had died...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by bradavon »

Oops. Thanks but that was supposed to read:

"Didn't BR Extended Cut come out after the original director had died? So hardly a Director's Cut."
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11930
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:Oops. Thanks but that was supposed to read:

"Didn't BR Extended Cut come out after the original director had died?"
No.

The director's cut relly was created by the director. Fukasaku (Kinji) was displeased with the film's R-15 rating. He filed an official complaint, but could not get the desired PG-12 rating.

The whole idea behind the director's cut was to create a pg-12 version of the film. Of course, Toei had nothing against it, since it would give them an excuse to re-release the film in theaters (just 5 months after the original version had opened).

I believe Fukasaku eventually changed his mind about the pg-12, though... he drew back the original complaint. The director's cut was also released with R-15 rating... although he still seemed to hold a bit of grudge as you can see in the title screen sequence with the newly added R-15 logo...
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by Markgway »

Looks like the 'Shogun Assassin' box set being released on BD in the US by Animego is NOT the original 6-film Lone Wolf & Cub series, but English dubbed re-edits. Not my cup of tea, but I figured some of you might be interested in saving your cash.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by grim_tales »

Thanks Mark :)
'Shogun Assassin' are the re-edited movies anyway though, so that wouldnt surprise me. Perhaps the originals are on the horizon somewhere.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by saltysam »

Lady Snowblood 1 & 2 coming from Arrow

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8614
working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11930
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by HungFist »

saltysam wrote:Lady Snowblood 1 & 2 coming from Arrow

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8614
:thumbs: