Anti-Malware Help (Anti-Virus & AntiSpyware/Adware)

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Anti-Malware Help (Anti-Virus & AntiSpyware/Adware)

Post by grim_tales »

This could be one of the reasons why our PC runs pretty slowly at times :D Is it worth downloading some free anti-spy/ad software to go with my Anti Virus program? :)
Are you supposed to run them at the same time you run the virus scan or separately?

:D
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Ow yeah, it's best of you have one or 2 spyware programs.
Just download Adaware en Spybot. I mostly use spybot.
You can just run the program at any time, it will take a few minutes to check everything, and you can fix found problems. Some spyware is very hard to remove though... so hopefully you wont be infected with any of those...

Also use a browser that's safe, like Avant.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Post by IronMonkey »

Or Firefox. :)
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Is Spybot free, Yi? :) Looks like it is.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

yeah, its free
adaware as well

or else I wouldnt have recommended it ;)
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

:D
I've downloaded Spybot now.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

grim_tales wrote::D
I've downloaded Spybot now.
Great! want a cookie? :P

Seriously though, good luck, and hope it doesnt find too much junk...
Have you NEVER scanned for spyware? And you've used Explorer? Aye...

BTW, when your done and removed all the shit, go into ur browser and clean ur cookies and shit, then go after that defragmentate (english spelling?) ur HD

How much memory do u have in ur pc btw?
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Mostly I use Firefox now :)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Or as some person on antoer forums said to me "wipe your drive clean and reinstall everything" :roll: over kill or what!

Adware and Spybot are nice, I also use a few other programmes like 4diskclean, which also find all sorts and cleans up other parts and Tiny Disk Cleaner, which also does a job of wiping little things.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Let us know how it went btw.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Its' gone fine :) About 9000 bad products (?) were blocked and no infected stuff was found. :D
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Nothing was even found? wow, thats amazing. :)
So I guess this means there must be another reason for your PC being slow at the moment?
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Look at your task manager and see which programs are using the most 'Mem Usage'.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Its' a nit quicker now, since I ate my cookies and drank my cache ;)
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

EDIT: Now Spybot has found loads of crap, its' still running.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I have Adaware and some Cleaner product.

Both freeware of course... :D

They seem to do the job... nothing's crashed.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Mark where can you get Adaware from or other anti-adware programs? :) I'll download it to go with spybot.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Just search with Google. I don't know the URL.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

* AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.5.516 (Latest Version): http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0?prd=aff
* AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition 7.5.1.43 (Latest Version): http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0?prd=asf

I've no idea how good AVG Anti-Spyware is compared against Spybot or Ad-aware. I don't use Free Security Software myself. I've found them all to be utter rubbish, many do run ZoneAlarm Free Edition fine though, so I could have just been unlucky with it (AVG on the other hand IMO is utter shite!).

I personally use Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 (Anti-Virus, AntiSpyware and Firewall) and have found it by far the best product on the market. Before that I used ZoneAlarm Internet Security 7.0 and couldn't stand it (I can give some concessions to ZoneAlarm Free as it's Free). I ran Norton AntiVirus for years but found it way to resource hungry.

At the end of the day use which suits you best.

p.s - Remember you need a Software and/or Hardware Firewall too:

* Hardware Firewall: If you have a Router you'll have one.
* Software Firewall: ZoneAlarm Free Edition is the most popular and "probably" the best:

http://www.zonelabs.com/zadownload/
Last edited by bradavon on 26 Feb 2008, 04:54, edited 1 time in total.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

AVG is unreliable junk, you're doing nobody any favours by recommending it.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Read what I actually said, I'm not ;).

I'm just posting links to those who already run it. I've learnt not to bother telling people what security software they should run (unless they specifically ask). it just starts flame wars.

Also see here where I lay into AVG Free Edition (I've never used the Paid Edition to say for sure, but doubt it's much better):

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=1233

I'll amend my post though to be clearer.