Nintendo "Wii"

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Hmmm.. could Nintendo actually be pulling a fast one on us?
dvdtalk wrote:Hmm... what do you all make of the lack of a trademark as noted by kotaku below:

I spoke with branding company Igor International yesterday about Nintendo’s choice of Wii as the new name for their next-gen console.

During the interview Steve Manning became convinced that Nintendo had deliberately picked a bad name for the console and that it was, in fact, fake. Manning thinks that Nintendo is creating an enormous viral campaign by releasing a fake name and then coming back during E3 and announcing the real one.

It looks like he’s not the only one who thinks this. Site Snark Hunting is also convinced, here’s why:

Crazy? Here is the first clue, “By letting the gaming community vent now about the name, they will be less distracted as launch titles for the system are announced and initial reports about what it’s like to play the games begin to come in.” Allowing your audience time to vent is not SOP in a name announcement, and also telegraphs that Nintendo knows what a stinker this name would be.

Second, it’s not possible to engineer a worse name for this product.

Third, and this is a big one, there are no trademarks registered by Nintendo nor by any dummy corp in the U.S or over there for Wii. This is unprecedented for Nintendo and it is not possible that his is an oversight. If Wii were the name, they would have registered it. In fact, no new trademarks have been registered by Nintendo at all. This leads us to conclude that Nintendo has in fact registered the real name under a dummy corp, which is SOP when trying to keep a name a secret prior to launch.

I’ve asked Nintendo reps straight out if this was the case, several times, and they deny it through and through. They also say they don’t know why the name isn’t yet trademarked.

Manning is now calling this the “most savvy name announcement we have seen in many years.”

We think Nintendo is setting you all up to be Punk’d at E3, generating a massive amount of positive buzz when the scam and the real new name are announced.

Given that their video game audience is the same demographic as Punk’d, the whole campaign is perversely elegant. Except of course for failing to make the illusion complete by registering a TM for Wii.

Personally, I think this would run too many risks and could far too easily backfire for Nintendo to attempt it. I’m thinking Nintendo just thinks the shock is going to create an instant and lasting impression.
Maybe Wii isnt the real name after all?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php ... ost6964590
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I'm "sort of" getting used to the Wii name now - its' a daft name yes, but everyone is talking about it. If it was called the Revolution (which is a very good name BTW) or Gamecube 2 would there be so much buzz? I don't think so. Wii is very unusual.
As for the embarrassment thing, I digress with that - I mean do people get embarrassed about asking for a Siemens phone, or a Smeg oven, or Virgin Airlines?

:D

"Whats in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Wii will change everything :D

So is this a new console? Isn't it about time Nintendo did a Sega and gave up?
grim_tales wrote:I think the DS has sold way more than the PSP in Japan, maybe overall (not sure).
Are you sure? The DS isn't in the same league as the PSP.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Maybe not but its still sold shedloads in Japan.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

I think the DS is outselling the PSP everywhere, really. I've never liked Nintendo games, though. I'm very happy with my PSP.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Is it? Why? Whenever I've seen the DS it looks like a Colour Gameboy i.e - VERY basic.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

The DS looks nothing like a Colour Gameboy :D

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3808
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Is it? Why?
They were the fucking monopoly (and still are) of the handheld gaming market since 1989. Their street cred in the market is established, they have the majority mindshare of the consumer.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

There's a cute little "Wii" logo animation here - this sorta reminds me of the Disney/Pixar logo animations. :)

http://wii.nintendo.com/

Just wait and the clip starts.
User avatar
Unrealnils
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 278
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 15:05

Post by Unrealnils »

/shakes head
Constantly M.I.A
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Yeah and don't forget how much of an incentive the touch screen is, and simply the fact that it has two screens...

But yeah, lots of people prefer Nintendo handheld games for their pick-up-and-play style, but I'm not interested in them at all.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Unrealnils wrote:/shakes head
I'm not as bothered by the name "Wii" as I was, it still sounds odd though.
I think it has some meaning in Japanese - "ii" or double i in Japanese means "good" and in Katakana I think the you use the w instead of typing a double letter :D So maybe it just means "really great" or something.

"Wii wa ii" (Wii is good).
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

I've watched edited highlights of the E3 conferences (thank you Eurogamer for wading through the bullshit for me) and I am now in a state of mental frenzy for Wii... er, :oops:
Sorry, had to get the obligatory gag out of the way. I'm going to get one, the only question is the other machine, as to be honest, Sony didn't impress me, with their cheap, PowerPoint-looking slides. I mean, they're charging a bloody hefty amount for machine itself, yet can't fork out for decent looking slides?! :wink:
Last time, I bought a PS2 from the initial batch that came into this country. This time, I doubt that it'll happen. I'll get one, but I'll wait until the killer games will come out for it. As for the 360, I'll wait until a killer game for it. And then maybe reconsider...

Perhaps this ought to be a new topic...

Anway, to get it back on topic, take a look at this. Show time!
Last edited by Kurgan on 12 May 2006, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I'm very excited and interested in the Wii, even if it may not have the best graphics. Super Mario Galaxy (for Wii) looks like it could be a really fun game, there's also some great looking games announced for the DS.. Diidy Kong Racing, Yoshi's Island 2, Mario Vs Donkey Kong 2.. :)
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Oh man Smash Bros looks fantastic! :) And did I spot one of the Nintendogs puppies in it? How adorable! :)
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

Indeed it was a likkle Labrador pawing at the screen in Super Smash Bros. Brawl :) Awww...

Now, *ahem*, on a serious note, there are plenty of games that look like they have potential. Looking forward to the Wii Sports Package. That's right, watersports for all!

Sorry, I promise, no more infantile gags from me. I've gotten past the name having any connotations to urine. Honest.

And personally, graphics don't make a game for me, so whilst the Wii may be the graphically weakest machine, it certainly won't be the weakest overall. Sure, visuals are a pretty big component; we all like shiny things, don't we? It's the magpie in us. But if the game stinks, what's the point? As ever, I'll use Pro Evo and FIFA as the comparison. Plainly put, the latter game sucks balls as opposed to... (yeah, you can see where I'm going with this), yet has the better presentation. Guess which game series I've been purchasing the new one of every year? ;)
Image
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Man! That SSB looks great. Solid Snake? You're kidding me. This will be bril-fuckin'-tastic!

Sorry, swearing is not a habbit of mine... usually...! :D
Image
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Image
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

Dance, Carlton, dance! :lol:
Image
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

LOL!
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Cool video for Wii fans here -

Exploring the Wii: Prelude to a Revolution

It even uses the Pokémon ballad of them all - Aim To Be a Pokémon Master (Pokémon Theme) :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

What next? The:

Nintento: I've shat my pants

Maybe? :D
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

:D
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Shouldnt there be a link where we could watch the vid, Grim !?

;)
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »