Cheapest 19" widescreen TFT/LCD monitor?

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
Post Reply
User avatar
degeneration
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1474
Joined: 30 Oct 2004, 09:49
Location: Wales (but I'm Scottish!!)

Cheapest 19" widescreen TFT/LCD monitor?

Post by degeneration »

Thinking of getting a 19" widescreen TFT/LCD monitor for x-mas, but don't want to waste money.

Does anyone know of anywhere that is selling one (new) quite cheap? Ebuyer got a nice one for £125 + delivery.

Anyone know of one going cheaper elsewhere?

Cheers.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

I saw one for £115 in the Bargain section of The DVD Forums recently but I can't find it now. Otherwise £125 sounds decent.

What make is it? Does it have a stand you can move up and down? This to me is important yet few listings ever mention this.

My current TFT is too low but the stand can't be moved so it's tough luck.
User avatar
degeneration
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1474
Joined: 30 Oct 2004, 09:49
Location: Wales (but I'm Scottish!!)

Post by degeneration »

It is this one here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119321/rb/23463747826

A different one than what used to be the ebuyer value one. This one looks nicer IMO.

But no idea about whether it can move up or down. WIll have to do a search around to find that one out. Don't know if it will bother me too much if it doesn't as if I want to raise it up, I'll prob just put it on some books or something like that...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

That does look nice.

It annoys me all monitors nowadays come with speakers. They're always next to useless so I wish they didn't bother. I do like the standard 3 year warranty though.

Sure you can put books under it but that's far from ideal. My monitor at home for example I'm looking right at the top not centre when I look head on. I prefer my work monitor which I can adjust (both Samsung's).
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Cheap TFTs are cheap for a good reason: they're crap.
A good 19" TFT costs around 300€ (£200) these days.

If you get a cheaper one, you'll probably regret it.

Talking about makes:
-LG and Samsung are OK.
-Acer is a mixed bag.
-Viewsonic, Belinea, HP and Philips are awful.

Just my humble opinion...
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

I find unlike TVs they're all a much a muchness. There isn't much to get wrong, all only have a VGA or maybe a DVI port, all support similar resolutions and refresh rates.

We have a Sony 17" at work and it looks no better or worse than the Samsungs.

The difference is Samsungs are much cheaper. Personally generally speaking I think Samsung and to a slightly lesser extent LG are two of the best makes on the market (price vs. quality).

I don't see what you're getting more for your £200 vs. £120 personally, again unlike TVs. All have 3 year warranties anyway so if they happen to go wrong (which is rare) you're covered.

My Samsung died about 6 months back but it was dead simple to replace. I packaged it up and a courier came along, picked it up and gave me a new one.
User avatar
degeneration
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1474
Joined: 30 Oct 2004, 09:49
Location: Wales (but I'm Scottish!!)

Post by degeneration »

I saw an Emprex one in Curry's (or Comet can't remember which) which was £120 online a short whole back. Saw it in action and it looked good enough for me. Yeah, if you spend the extra £80+ then you can get one that is a bit sharper, or a bit faster refresh rate or brighter... but I don't play lots of games on my comp or anything like that. I use it to browse the net and do work - word, powerpoint, access etc. So not exactly anything high spec. So I think a £120 one will be enough for my needs!
Post Reply