New Features to Vista!
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
New Features to Vista!
An interesting read, very in-depth:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_n ... dows_Vista
WMP 6.4 Dropped: I'm glad I read it as I use WMP 6.4.
I'll have to copy it across from an XP installation. I still use the DOS DELTREE command which hasn't been in Windows since Windows ME.
Sure MPC is pretty much WMP6.4 but I find it too cluttered. WMP6.4 has everything I need with no cluttered menus. The menus are clear and give easy access to the features I want.
I only use it for Video playing. It's awful for Audio playing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_n ... dows_Vista
WMP 6.4 Dropped: I'm glad I read it as I use WMP 6.4.
I'll have to copy it across from an XP installation. I still use the DOS DELTREE command which hasn't been in Windows since Windows ME.
Sure MPC is pretty much WMP6.4 but I find it too cluttered. WMP6.4 has everything I need with no cluttered menus. The menus are clear and give easy access to the features I want.
I only use it for Video playing. It's awful for Audio playing.
Last edited by bradavon on 24 Jan 2007, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Because like I said:gasteropod wrote:Why would you use that instead of Windows Media Player 11?
WMP6.4 has everything I need with no cluttered menus. The menus are clear and give easy access to the features I want. I just want to be able to playback videos with fast forward/rewind and full screen option + 100%/200% zoom not muck about with visualisation, skins etc....
WMP11 is definitely bloated in comparison.
WMP11 is excellent as an audio library (prior to v11 it was awful though) though but cluttered and bloated for video playback. The exact same codecs are used for both so compatibility isn't an issue.
Tom uses it too
Last edited by bradavon on 23 Jan 2007, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Speaking of Vista.
IE7 under Vista will run in Protected Mode meaning it will prevent any web application from accessing any folder on your computer except the cache (and one would presume cookies too).
This will have to make it much more secure than Firefox under Vista. Not that it would stop me using FF in the slightest.
IE7 under Vista will run in Protected Mode meaning it will prevent any web application from accessing any folder on your computer except the cache (and one would presume cookies too).
This will have to make it much more secure than Firefox under Vista. Not that it would stop me using FF in the slightest.
-
Unrealnils
- Pedicab Driver
- Posts: 278
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 15:05
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
I dropped WMP 6.4 two months ago.
Now I'm using Media Player Classic for pretty much everything.
... and I wouldn't touch WMP 10 or 11 with a barge pole.

Now I'm using Media Player Classic for pretty much everything.
... and I wouldn't touch WMP 10 or 11 with a barge pole.
When playing MP3s, they both look pretty much the same:Bradavon wrote:Sure MPC is pretty much WMP6.4 but I find it too cluttered.

I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
I use MPC + CCCP + fddshow + QT Alternative Lite + Real Alternative Lite exclusively for video.
For music I use WMP9. Very easy to use, I love the library. They made the GUI shitty with WMP10 so I avoided it.
FYI Brad, you can grab old versions of WMP here.
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=wmp
For music I use WMP9. Very easy to use, I love the library. They made the GUI shitty with WMP10 so I avoided it.
FYI Brad, you can grab old versions of WMP here.
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=wmp
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
I wouldn't use either to play music as neither have a minimise to system tray feature and are far to basic. That's crucial as I leave it running.tom2681 wrote:When playing MP3s, they both look pretty much the same
I meant more the right click menu has stacks of features I really don't need. I only use it for playing DVDs and then I only ever put DVDs in my PC to Rip or create Captures (hence why I've no need for PowerDVD).
When I get a laptop I'll put PowerDVD on though.
IMO Video has a different need to Audio. Video just needs a basic front end but Audio is better with some kind of library. Even though ID3 Tags are a pain in the neck.
I wish you could set WMP to use Folder View instead of ID3 Tags.
VLC has THE best file type support but the UI sucks.Unrealnils wrote:I normally just use vlc media player or the wmp embedded into media center
What's CCCP?EvaUnit02 wrote:I use MPC + CCCP + fddshow + QT Alternative Lite + Real Alternative Lite exclusively for video.
None of those AFAIK are players, all are codecs and drivers. I use Real Alternative too but don't mind QuickTime so just use that for QT stuff. Real Player the software is attrociously bad and bloated.
Version 7-10 of WMP were clunky, bloated and awful. I used Winamp until WMP11 was released. I really like WMP11 it's a massive improvement. It's still OTT for video though.
It's exactly the same isn't it? Give WMP11 a go. I really love the Album Art view.EvaUnit02 wrote:For music I use WMP9. Very easy to use, I love the library. They made the GUI shitty with WMP10 so I avoided it.
Great thanks Eva. Top site.EvaUnit02 wrote:FYI Brad, you can grab old versions of WMP here.
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=wmp
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
From what I've seen, Vista is quite heavy.
I'll start using it the next time I upgrade my PC (late 2007).
I don't like change, anyway.
Installed XP on my PC for the first time in mid-2004.
I'll start using it the next time I upgrade my PC (late 2007).
I don't like change, anyway.
Installed XP on my PC for the first time in mid-2004.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
WMP 11 I just recently upgraded to, worst mistake ever! now a load of things wont run and my MP3 player wont even connect to my PC anymore as its outdated and the drivers wont work, even the new ones
cannot even roll back as it has ruined everything. Bugger. I had WMP10 running fine, 11 is another matter.
-
slasher13
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1799
- Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15
One thing I know from someone is that even if you close WMP11, it does not clear itself from memory, it is still kept there, therefore making your o/s very slow.. I hope they fix thisromerojpg wrote:WMP 11 I just recently upgraded to, worst mistake ever! now a load of things wont run and my MP3 player wont even connect to my PC anymore as its outdated and the drivers wont work, even the new onescannot even roll back as it has ruined everything. Bugger. I had WMP10 running fine, 11 is another matter.
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Meh! 2Gb of RAM you'll be fine. RAM costs peanuts.tom2681 wrote:From what I've seen, Vista is quite heavy.
XP needs more power than 98/Me. Same thing.
Please say you were running 2000 prior to that?tom2681 wrote:Installed XP on my PC for the first time in mid-2004.
I've not noticed that too. It is a common problem with programs that use lots of resources though. In most cases it just needs a wee bit longer to close down.slasher13 wrote:One thing I know from someone is that even if you close WMP11, it does not clear itself from memory, it is still kept there, therefore making your o/s very slow.. I hope they fix this
It's been an issue with Outlook ever since I can remember.
Yes you can roll back (just uninstall WMP11 and install WMP10) but tbh you just need to upgrade the MP3 Player Firmware.romerojpg wrote:now a load of things wont run and my MP3 player wont even connect to my PC anymore as its outdated and the drivers wont work
I get exactly the same message with my SmartPhone but I don't care as I can't stand Audio Synchronizing. It's annoying though as every time I open it and my mobile is connected it warns me again.
My MP3 Player maybe compatible with WMP11 or may not I don't know and don't care. I use Explorer plus Drag and Drop.
Don't assume one persons problems means a bug. There is no such thing as a bug free or for that matter problem free software.romerojpg wrote:Crieky wish I ahd neevr bothered with it until all them bugs are gone, which knowing them will be maybe 3 years time.
It will work for thousands and one person has a problem, the whole world will then stay away (speaking generally). WMP10 has bugs too.
Last edited by bradavon on 24 Jan 2007, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
... 98SE.Tom&Brad wrote:-Installed XP on my PC for the first time in mid-2004.
-Please say you were running 2000 prior to that?
Peanuts must be quite expensive where you live.Meh! 2Gb of RAM you'll be fine. RAM costs peanuts.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
God no. They radically changed the GUI between WMP9 and 10. I hated 10's GUI.brad wrote:It's exactly the same isn't it? Give WMP11 a go. I really love the Album Art view.
The Combined Communities Codec Pack. An fddshow filter pack optimised specifically for playing any and all fansub distributions available. Maximum compatibility and the least resource use.What's CCCP?
No shit Sherlock. I'm using them in combination with MPC, hence the pluses.None of those AFAIK are players, all are codecs and drivers.
98SE was great. It had the best compatibility for games, Win2k sucked hard in that regard. Now WinME was a piece of shit - oh yes let's kill REAL MODE DOS, even though the OS still uses DOS as a base.bradavon wrote:My god!tom2681 wrote:... 98SE.
I do. Plan on putting it on the new Macintosh ASAP (which should be arriving on Mon/Tues). I don't like the prospect of having to familiarising myself with a completely alien OS - MacOS X 10.5.bradavon wrote:So who else is getting Vista?
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
Late reply I know, but:
Re: MPC
Options - Player - Tray Icon.
But yes, it's basic.
Re: MPC
MPC can be minimized to tray.Brad wrote:I wouldn't use either to play music as neither have a minimise to system tray feature and are far to basic.
Options - Player - Tray Icon.
But yes, it's basic.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
Kurgan
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1740
- Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
- Location: Dewsbury, UK
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
