best way to make my dvdrom multiregion without wrecking.....

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

best way to make my dvdrom multiregion without wrecking.....

Post by brooce-leroy »

my PC?

Any ideas guys and gals?

Thanks in advance. :)
Last edited by brooce-leroy on 04 Nov 2006, 12:08, edited 2 times in total.
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Step 1:
Find the exact model name of your drive.

Image

Step 2:
Go to http://www.firmware.fr.st/ and find a RPC1 firmware for your drive.

Step 3:
Flash your drive with the necessary program.

Step 4:
Cross your fingers.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

I am using "DVD Region-Free" and never ever had a problem with it.
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I use DVD Region Killer.

Never had any problems with it.
Image
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

I use DVD-Genie.
Never had any problems either.

But I think it's better to make the drive itself region-free first.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

Post by brooce-leroy »

why do i need to cross my fingers?
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

If you're worried about the small percentage risk that flashing the drive has, then just download DVDregion free Brooce, it does the job without having to flash the firmware.

I always used to flash my drives but couldn't be arsed when I bought two new DVDburners a couple of months back, so I installed DVDregion free and it does the job perfectly.
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

Post by brooce-leroy »

cheers shingster. I know this sounds thick, but can you give me the direct link for it? I don't want to get the wrong one. ;)

edit - and thanks for the input from everyone else too. :)
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

http://www.dvdidle.com/download.htm

It's shareware though, so you have to pay $25 (i think) after 30days.
Last edited by Shingster on 03 Nov 2006, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
degeneration
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1474
Joined: 30 Oct 2004, 08:49
Location: Wales (but I'm Scottish!!)

Post by degeneration »

You can also try the site www'dot'9down'dot'com. Great site for finding files that you are after!
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

Post by brooce-leroy »

cheers. ;)
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

Post by brooce-leroy »

Which website to get dvd genie? I wasn't able to 'buy' dvd region free after the trial period, as the online shop is down or something (has been for ages). Thanks.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Try DVD43 first. Then try AnyDVD if that doesn't work.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

I use AnyDVD personally but that's because it does more than just plain region stuff.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Lourdes wrote:I use AnyDVD personally but that's because it does more than just plain region stuff.
Yup. It can bypass Sony CD protection and also get around HDCP for non-Vista users.
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

Post by brooce-leroy »

Thanks fellas. I assume this is the right place for Anydvd (i.e. the place where you got it):

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

Thanks.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

Well I got is elsewhere but that's the right site.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

brooce-leroy wrote:Thanks fellas. I assume this is the right place for Anydvd (i.e. the place where you got it):

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

Thanks.
You also get lifetime upgrades, so a purchase would be worth while. Slysoft offer coupons several times a year, like at Valentines Day and Xmas, you may want to wait.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Personally I use http://www.rpc1.org/ which is an English version of the same idea from Tom's site.

I've flashed firmware and would again but you could definitely completely screw your drive. I did once, it flashed fine but afterwards refused to read DVDs again period. CDs worked fine. I've no idea why as I had done it before with the same drive and previous firmware fine.

Think of Firmware as the operating system for your hardware but if it goes wrong it's likely you'll screw it. That said it is a small percentage that do in reality go wrong.

As for software methods THE best on the market is:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

But it's not free hence why some guys above have gone with a free option, BUT remember the free options are based on old code and aren't being updated. Still if all you want is MR (instead of the ability to backup) then they may do just fine.

Sadly my laptop came with a Panasonic drive that CANNOT be made MR either via hardware or software, Panasonic's (under their Mashita brand) are known for it. You can backup just only in the region the drive is set to. I just plug in a normal DVD Writer by an IDE to USB cable I have for the odd time I need to backup non-R2 DVDs. It's a pain but the plus side being Panasonic's can read DVD-Ram.
brooce-leroy wrote:Which website to get dvd genie?
DVD Genie is old. I don't think they're even updating it any more. It's also got a rubbish user interface, go with one of the others. I used it back in the day but not any more.

AnyDVD is the best, then DVD Region Free++ (I think it's called that), but both you need to pay for.

p.s - I'll move this thread unless you want it moved back.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Jeez talk about finding an old thread :D

There are three levels of protection to get around:

1. The drive itself is region locked after 5 changes
2. Windows has it's own protection
3. In the software you're using to playback, obviously something like Media Player Classic doesn't have this.

AnyDVD and the like can fool the last two but not always the first one.

p.s - I think we can allow talk of removing regional coding, every other flipping website allows it. Even DVD Forums.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Personally I use http://www.rpc1.org/ which is an English version of the same idea from Tom's site.

I've flashed firmware and would again but you could definitely completely screw your drive. I did once, it flashed fine but afterwards refused to read DVDs again period. CDs worked fine. I've no idea why as I had done it before with the same drive and previous firmware fine.
Flashing your drive into RPC-1 isn't at all necessary TBH, just a thing that us geeks like to do.

Besides RPC-2 emulation software is necessary regardless of whether you flash your drive with hacked RPC-1 firmware or not. Since there's additional software-based region lock-outs in Windows, etc.

There's other advantages to flashing your drive though, eg by using hacked firmware to make it faster, disable the RipLock, additional capabilities like Lightscribe-esque technology, etc.
AnyDVD is the best, then DVD Region Free+CSS (I think it's called that), but both you need to pay for.
DVD Region Free+CSS was discontinued (due to laws passed in the developer's country I think), as was DVD Region Killer (AnyDVD made the latter redundant). DVD Genie is dead, I don't know what happened to it and don't really care.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Sadly I cannot flash my drive but exactly about needing software anyway. I didn't know you could "add" light scribe.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:I didn't know you could "add" light scribe.
Depends on the drive though. You can't do em with ALL burners obviously.