whats spec, how much did you pay for it? also pictures if it has a nifty case
brad's new PC
-
Toge
- Flirting Scholar
- Posts: 468
- Joined: 23 Oct 2004, 11:03
brad's new PC
Lets talk about your new core 2 duo machine brad
whats spec, how much did you pay for it? also pictures if it has a nifty case
whats spec, how much did you pay for it? also pictures if it has a nifty case
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
Toge
- Flirting Scholar
- Posts: 468
- Joined: 23 Oct 2004, 11:03
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
Lourdes
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1994
- Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
-
Toge
- Flirting Scholar
- Posts: 468
- Joined: 23 Oct 2004, 11:03
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
The PC I'm currently using as a server for my media is about 3-4 years old. I've just built a new machine & it rocks! I've been playing the Unreal Engine 3 powered BioShock demo at 1680x1050 in DirectX 10 with everything maxed out & its smooth as silk!
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
My work got it in on about 20 PC's, then they took it off after a few moths
-
slasher13
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1799
- Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15
Coding under Vista is horrible, also theres are new 'features' which are bloody annoying. At work, our s/ware generates file locally, so the files would be placed in the subfolder of the program directory in "Program Files". Now Vista doesn't let you do that, even though you digital signed and paided M$, which is why we had to add a relocate feature, which placed the files in "My Documents" instead. This was kinda annoying, also Vista is way too paranoid, and even in the EULA statement, it does mention that Window Defender has a right to uninstall a non-digital signed s/ware. It was talked about on:IronMonkey wrote:There's nothing wrong with Vista right now.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6319845.stm
From a coder point of view, the above is just horrible. I have vista business to test out our s/ware, but for home use, there is nothing wrong with Windows XP.The agreement does not define any of these terms, leaving it to Microsoft to determine what constitutes unwanted software. Once operational, the agreement warns that Windows Defender will, by default, automatically remove software rated "high" or "severe" even though that may result in other software ceasing to work or mistakenly result in the removal of software that is not unwanted. For greater certainty, the terms and conditions remove any doubt about who is in control by providing that "this agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights". For those users frustrated by the software's limitations, Microsoft cautions that "you may not work around any technical limitations in the software".
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Where on earth did this thread come from? I'm just curious. I've had my laptop for months.
I've downsized to a laptop due to A: Space, B: My needs and C: Portability.
The GPU is pants by desktop PC specs but I don't give a monkey it handles 1440x900 (not that my laptop monitor does
, my main monitor does though) and Vista's Aero, anything more would be completely useless to me. What's the point buying a whizzy laptop GPU if you're never going to use it? Besides aren't pretty much all laptop GPU's pants?
As to the rest of the spec. it's a Core 2 Duo with 2Gb RAM and a 120Gb hard disk. I'd have preferred bigger but when you consider 2.5" hard disk only go up to 200Gb (and most are still 160Gb) it's not to bad. Besides I have 50Gb left anyway
.
It was a fair price. I'm not going to say cheap as there is no such thing as a decent and also cheap laptop, laptops are expensive.
I cannot remember the speed of the Core 2 Duo (I think it's 1.66Mhz, laptop cpu remember). It doesn't really interest me tbh. It does the job. I don't play computer games, barely never copy DVDs. My needs nowadays are much less than they need to be. I wouldn't want to go back to a big and ugly PC now though. A laptop is just right for me.
The whole point of the C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Application Data folder under 2000\XP and C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming under Vista is for Application Data. Why are you saving user data in My Documents? Granted it will work but that's not good practise either.
If programmers are going to ignore this rule and put files in Program Files anyway Vista is just going to stop you, it has nothing to do with Digital Signatures. I hope you realise come the next release of Windows Folder Virtualisation will be gone which means your software won't even work period. Right now it's only working as Vista is moving the files into the correct place the programmers should be doing anyway.
You're not alone though. eDonkey to name one such software still insists in writing user data to his program folder then winging it cannot. I've just relocated the user data to another folder and let it's config files work in the virtualisation folder Vista moves them to (C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\VirtualStore).
How do you mean Vista is paranoid? If you mean UAC it drove me round the bend so I installed TweakUAC. I certainly wouldn't recommend disabling UAC as it takes a slew of options with it (including folder virtualisation).
As to Windows Defender it's shit. I've disabled it and get a proper Spyware tool, but agreed that EULA is rubbish then.
I've downsized to a laptop due to A: Space, B: My needs and C: Portability.
The GPU is pants by desktop PC specs but I don't give a monkey it handles 1440x900 (not that my laptop monitor does
As to the rest of the spec. it's a Core 2 Duo with 2Gb RAM and a 120Gb hard disk. I'd have preferred bigger but when you consider 2.5" hard disk only go up to 200Gb (and most are still 160Gb) it's not to bad. Besides I have 50Gb left anyway
It was a fair price. I'm not going to say cheap as there is no such thing as a decent and also cheap laptop, laptops are expensive.
I cannot remember the speed of the Core 2 Duo (I think it's 1.66Mhz, laptop cpu remember). It doesn't really interest me tbh. It does the job. I don't play computer games, barely never copy DVDs. My needs nowadays are much less than they need to be. I wouldn't want to go back to a big and ugly PC now though. A laptop is just right for me.
No offence Slasher but you cannot blame Microsoft for closing a loop hole in previous OS's on Vista. It's bad programming practise to ever save user data in the Program Files or Windows folder, it's just until Vista nothing has stopped you doing it. I can see why programmers put user data in Program Files but from a security perspective it's never been a good idea, not in the days of 2000, XP or today.At work, our s/ware generates file locally, so the files would be placed in the subfolder of the program directory in "Program Files". Now Vista doesn't let you do that, even though you digital signed and paided M$, which is why we had to add a relocate feature.
The whole point of the C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Application Data folder under 2000\XP and C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming under Vista is for Application Data. Why are you saving user data in My Documents? Granted it will work but that's not good practise either.
If programmers are going to ignore this rule and put files in Program Files anyway Vista is just going to stop you, it has nothing to do with Digital Signatures. I hope you realise come the next release of Windows Folder Virtualisation will be gone which means your software won't even work period. Right now it's only working as Vista is moving the files into the correct place the programmers should be doing anyway.
You're not alone though. eDonkey to name one such software still insists in writing user data to his program folder then winging it cannot. I've just relocated the user data to another folder and let it's config files work in the virtualisation folder Vista moves them to (C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\VirtualStore).
How do you mean Vista is paranoid? If you mean UAC it drove me round the bend so I installed TweakUAC. I certainly wouldn't recommend disabling UAC as it takes a slew of options with it (including folder virtualisation).
As to Windows Defender it's shit. I've disabled it and get a proper Spyware tool, but agreed that EULA is rubbish then.
Last edited by bradavon on 22 Aug 2007, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
-
Shen
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1481
- Joined: 10 Feb 2006, 11:28
- Location: Leeds, UK
i used Vista for a couple weeks whilst my laptop was in the repair shop. god how i hated it, every freaking action you had to confirm. i clicked on the damn thing of course i wanna do that you fucking muppet. i've read things about major security holes in vista too...overall i dont like vista, i'm quite happy with XP, never had any issues with it at all.
http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/_Shen_
http://www.theshadowedone.deviantart.com
you have a .... Ducky Butt!!
http://www.theshadowedone.deviantart.com
you have a .... Ducky Butt!!
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Oh agreed that is annoying but there is ways around it. You can even get rid of them entirely if you wish but that's definitely not a good idea (it's also a painful process), it's easy enough to get rid of most though. Search for TweakUAC on Google.Shen wrote:i used Vista for a couple weeks whilst my laptop was in the repair shop. god how i hated it, every freaking action you had to confirm. i clicked on the damn thing of course i wanna do that you fucking muppet.
Think back when you first got XP I bet there were new things you didn't quite like but you got used to them and now probably cannot even remember what they were.
Oh for sure. There is no such thing as a security free OS. Linux secure bollocks, Apple Mac secure yeah right.Shen wrote: i've read things about major security holes in vista too...overall i dont like vista, i'm quite happy with XP, never had any issues with it at all.
My only point being Vista is better, it's nothing revolutionary and there isn't much big but it's just lots of tweaks and little things which are better.
Well I say nothing big memory management is a lot better. I never hear page swapping any more, also due to Superfetch applications open almost instantly. Page swapping being where hard disk space is used as memory and Superfetch being where commonly used programs load entirely in memory, but crucially memory you aren't using anyway.
There is nothing wrong with 2000 for Home Use either but I bet no one wants that.but for home use, there is nothing wrong with Windows XP.
If you're a business I can see a valid case to stick with XP (or 2000 frankly), if you have an old home PC do some homework first before considering Vista. If you're buying a new PC you'd be nuts to consider anything less than Vista (assuming all your add-on hardware and software works with it).
Vista is easily better than XP in many ways (those who disagree at least use it for more than 10 minutes). Obviously it's no great leap like 98 to XP was but does it really need to be?
Bollocks. Use Vista for 2-3 weeks and XP quickly becomes very outdated. I've used XP since (and except for Explorer, which I hate in Vista) and it seems really old and had it.EvaUnit02 wrote:Other than that, XP all the way baby.
Thank you LD. Eva is just weirdthelostdragon wrote:I don't get what your guys' business is with brad's computer if he is satisfied with it.
You reckon every XP user had 100% success when they moved from 98? Please, that was an even bigger jump. Have you forgotten all the complaints XP got at the time? (or is your brain not capable of thinking back 5-6 yearsromerojpg wrote:Vista isnt working still for many people the way it suposed to.
The entire kernal was different then. XP to Vista is pocket change in comparison.
-
slasher13
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1799
- Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15
Thing is, that if you develop a s/ware which is based for customers likes our, then support get hammered, as clients are asking if this is okay to use. M$ really didn't need this feature in Vistabradavon wrote: Oh agreed that is annoying but there is ways around it. You can even get rid of them entirely if you wish but that's definitely not a good idea (it's also a painful process), it's easy enough to get rid of most though. Search for TweakUAC on Google.
Actually it wasn't that bad, XP was just a continuation of 2000 in some respect, it was just a bit prettierThink back when you first got XP I bet there were new things you didn't quite like but you got used to them and now probably cannot even remember what they were.
Yup, No O/S is truely secure, the thing with Linux is that it is open source, therefore in theory, if a bug has been found it can be fixed pretty quick. Especially if you use SVN to download the source, fix it locally, and commit the changes. An counter argument to open source would be, in theory, if you have the code, you can see the weak points of the O/S, so it possible that if people don't regularly update then they could be hacked.Oh for sure. There is no such thing as a security free OS. Linux secure bollocks, Apple Mac secure yeah right.
I believe there are some memory issues with Vista, I remember we had to do a fix in our application concerning this area. In XP, when we close down the s/ware, we unload/unregister everything that is being used, especially the connection to the database, this works fine. But for Vista, for some reason this wasn't happening, and alot of our clients was getting out of memory error, it was a pain to track and debug. Thankfully the lead developer actually pinpointed the problem, and commited a fix.My only point being Vista is better, it's nothing revolutionary and there isn't much big but it's just lots of tweaks and little things which are better.
Well I say nothing big memory management is a lot better. I never hear page swapping any more, also due to Superfetch applications open almost instantly. Page swapping being where hard disk space is used as memory and Superfetch being where commonly used programs load entirely in memory, but crucially memory you aren't using anyway.
Actually 2000 is still great, I use to love thatThere is nothing wrong with 2000 for Home Use either but I bet no one wants that.
Yup, as with all new s/ware especially oursIf you're a business I can see a valid case to stick with XP (or 2000 frankly)
Err I have been using it more than 10 mins, In fact, In work, I did the first form of QA with our s/ware on it and I still prefer XP currently [/quote]Vista is easily better than XP in many ways (those who disagree at least use it for more than 10 minutes). Obviously it's no great leap like 98 to XP was but does it really need to be?
You could say this to upto the person taste, frankly I still think XP got a few years in itselfBollocks. Use Vista for 2-3 weeks and XP quickly becomes very outdated. I've used XP since (and except for Explorer, which I hate in Vista) and it seems really old and had it.
Poor Eva, didn't post this thread upThank you LD. Eva is just weird
My brain is, as I was working in Tech Support when XP first came out, and actually from our point of view, it wasn't that bad. It wasn't as horrible as ME coming out, god the amount of phone calls I use to get with that, also blue screen of death. Actually 98 first edition was bad, it wasn't until 98 2nd Edition where things was getting stable.You reckon every XP user had 100% success when they moved from 98? Please, that was an even bigger jump. Have you forgotten all the complaints XP got at the time? (or is your brain not capable of thinking back 5-6 years)
Yup that is true, however the main crux for me, is that M$ have not really given the user total control which I want. Instead Vista would tell me if I want to do this and for myself I don't want treaks, because when I use Vista, I am using it from our client point of view, and we really don't need to tell them to download tweaks. Also another point is Visual Studio simply doesn't work in Vista, 5 developers installed it on their vista machine, and it crashes out.The entire kernal was different then. XP to Vista is pocket change in comparison.

