I have a Toshiba Windows Vista HP laptop connected via it's VGA port to my Samsung LE32R41B LCD TV but it is not working.
When plugged into the TV using a 1m VGA cable that came with a separate monitor it works fine. Windows lets me choose a 1368x768 resolution and the Nvidia drivers detect the TV as made by Samsung.
However when using a cheap 3m VGA cable and a more expensive 5m Belkin Pro Series cable Windows doesn't detect a TV is plugged into the laptop. As it happens 3m wasn't long enough I need about 4.5m.
Looking in the Nvidia drivers it doesn't detect the Samsung TV any more. If I choose "Analogue Source" and set it to 1024x768 (1368x768 is not an option) plus 60Hz refresh rate the TV then detects the signal but only because it happens the TV also supports this.
This is more me forcing it to work than being picked up properly.
I've also discovered if I plug my separate monitor into my laptop using the same 3m cable it's also not detected. I'd have thought this should work, the monitor supports 1440x900. If I use the regular 1m cable that came with the monitor it's fine.
Any ideas why longer lengths than 1m do not work and Windows doesn't recognise the TV any more? Thanks in advance.
Windows not detecting Samsung LCD TV - Help?
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Before anyone says anything I've already posted over at The AV Forums and Neowin Forums (a dedicated OS forum) but no one is replying 
Here is the cable I have, it's not exactly the same as mine is 5m, is gold plated and has those blocks (whatever they're called) to help stop interference:

I cannot find an exact picture.
Here is the cable I have, it's not exactly the same as mine is 5m, is gold plated and has those blocks (whatever they're called) to help stop interference:

I cannot find an exact picture.
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Foremost, I highly recommend making a thread in the guru3d Nvidia drivers sub-forum. They know their shit and are very helpful.
My advice:- Try different graphics card driver versions until you find one that works.
1. Download several drivers versions from the likes of guru3d and a Driver Cleaner.
2. Uninstall the driver.
3. Boot into safe mode and use the driver cleaner (this is Windows remember, it leaves crap behind when you uninstall.). Check the cleaner's log to see what happened afterwards.
4. Reboot. Select safe mode again. Install the new driver.
5. Rinse and repeat until you find a driver that works.
My advice:- Try different graphics card driver versions until you find one that works.
1. Download several drivers versions from the likes of guru3d and a Driver Cleaner.
2. Uninstall the driver.
3. Boot into safe mode and use the driver cleaner (this is Windows remember, it leaves crap behind when you uninstall.). Check the cleaner's log to see what happened afterwards.
4. Reboot. Select safe mode again. Install the new driver.
5. Rinse and repeat until you find a driver that works.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Thanks Eva, finally someone replies.
Good idea I'll post there first. I didn't really think it could be graphics drivers related as you'd think with the latest version (which I have) it shouldn't matter. I cannot use the actual Nvidia driver and have to use Toshiba's Nvidia drivers. I guess they modified the graphics board but used a Nvidia chip. If I try Nvidia drivers they refuse to install with a card not found error.
I did recently upgrade my drivers as it happens and it made no difference (not for this reason). BTW what's the difference between Nvidia Chipset and Nvidia Display as far as that program is considered?
Cheers
Good idea I'll post there first. I didn't really think it could be graphics drivers related as you'd think with the latest version (which I have) it shouldn't matter. I cannot use the actual Nvidia driver and have to use Toshiba's Nvidia drivers. I guess they modified the graphics board but used a Nvidia chip. If I try Nvidia drivers they refuse to install with a card not found error.
I did recently upgrade my drivers as it happens and it made no difference (not for this reason). BTW what's the difference between Nvidia Chipset and Nvidia Display as far as that program is considered?
Cheers
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30